Where's the folks who know about refridgerators!?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I'm looking to buy a refridgerator here, want it to be close to full size. I'm looking for something durable and energy efficient. I am looking to pay between 30-40k RD. What brands would you suggest, so far I am leaning to the 2 door GE models that are most common in the US.. Bring back childhood memories and they seem pretty energy efficient. The 2 door whirlpool models look pretty good also with a smaller pricetag.

btw.. my mom has a side by side whirlpool fridge that cost her like 80k RD and it just died after like 3 years, I would like to avoid this situation if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We need to know where you are at. In Santiago, Radiocentro is a good place to go.

Also, regarding your mom's fridge make sure you get a good technician to see if it is repairable. Case in point the compressor in my Whirpool quit working and I thought it was toast but turned out to be the compressor switch had fried. It appears that is common here. It was an easy fix. good luck.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There's a Radiocentro in SD too. We bought a full size GE at La Sirena last year, it was about 24,000 pesos. We love it, spacious, very efficient, and holds the cold very well.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I'm looking to buy a refridgerator here, want it to be close to full size. I'm looking for something durable and energy efficient. I am looking to pay between 30-40k RD. What brands would you suggest, so far I am leaning to the 2 door GE models that are most common in the US.. Bring back childhood memories and they seem pretty energy efficient. The 2 door whirlpool models look pretty good also with a smaller pricetag.

btw.. my mom has a side by side whirlpool fridge that cost her like 80k RD and it just died after like 3 years, I would like to avoid this situation if possible.

Thanks in advance!

I just bought a new Frigidaire with the steel finish for 27000 RD in Plaza Lama on sale.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a brand manufactured in Costa Rica (I think) that is designed for crappy Caribbean/CA electricity. Their compressors don't fry when subjected to lower voltage.

I recall the brand name is MABE or something.

We have a Samsung "Carribean" model that also works on lower voltage without, supposedly, being damaged. 4 1/2 years so far without a blip...and we have some fairly poor quality of electricity.

And it's not digital.

If you buy a new fancy-dancy fridge, you might consider investing in a whole-house voltage regulator.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

Thanks in advance!

Get in touch with William Webster here on DR1. He buy's 'scratch and dent' in the States from Sears for a fraction of the price and has it shipped through Mundango (?) in NY, pay's no custom as its second hand. With the shipping costs, he still gets it at half price.
We are looking into this also for our appliances for the new house since the term 'scratch and dent' is really minor and I want also a GE fridge with the cool drawer at the bottom and the spacious two doors. :smoke:
Could be that you have to make a shopping trip to Florida (not possible to do this online), not sure about that, ask WW.

Acira

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there is a good place in puerta plata if only I could remember the name and where it is - I thinks you go to casa nelson from the sea side and turn right go down the hill and its on the right hand side , maybe some one knows what its called and where it actually is- they give five year guarantees .......Ive not been much help have I lol

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Size matters

I'm looking to buy a refrigerator here, want it to be close to full size.

What is full size?

Recently we bought a "mabe" fridge, 15 cft, tropicalized, low consumption (says 427kWh/year).

Models with ice makers are trouble makers (due to electronic CB's in them).
Some brands are not very forgiving when it comes to DR 'luz'... :cross-eye
Beware of PL reconditioned stuff and their warranty promises.

donP

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Recently we bought a "mabe" fridge, 15 cft, tropicalized, low consumption (says 427kWh/year).

Some brands are not very forgiving when it comes to DR 'luz'... :cross-eye

donP
^^^That's^^^ what I am referring to.

First Worlders are used to sweet energy 24/7/365. We don't have that here. I keep a volt meter by a plug in the kitchen and check it all the time. It varies between 85v & 105v the majority of the time. In fact, the microwave doesn't work that well because of the low voltage.

If I NEED the microwave to work 100% well, I turn the inverter on because I get a solid 110v.

A fridge needs to be, as DonP pointed out, "tropicalized", i.e., designed to run on low & inconsistent power. Otherwise you'll be wondering why it doesn't work that well, and why it broke so quickly.

Mabe is such a brand, as well as a couple of others that are designed for bad power...

And unless you have a voltage regulator on the circuit, do not buy any fridge that is digital.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just go to "Plaza Lama", buy the "LG" of your choice, and you will be "Good-To-Go"!
I have two "LGs" in my house.
One is 15 years old.It was called a "Gold Star" back in the day.
Never had either one need repair.
Of course it is so cold in my house, they don't run that much!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Just go to "Plaza Lama", buy the "LG" of your choice, and you will be "Good-To-Go"!
I have two "LGs" in my house.
One is 15 years old.It was called a "Gold Star" back in the day.
Never had either one need repair.
Of course it is so cold in my house, they don't run that much!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

15 year old fridge.. sounds like I'm going to either look for a Mabe based on cb advice or an LG based on this.. I try to be financially conservative and don't buy fridges so my friends will come over and go WOW what a nice fridge he has!!.. I'd rather be the one in 10 years with a fridge that still works :) Thanks guys.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My house is filled with "LG" stuff, all from Plaza Lama.
Last purchased 1 month ago, 18,000 BTU "split Airconditioner".
My "Lovely Dominican Bride" who grew up in a "Tin House" in Simon Bolivar, now felt that the 12,000 BTU was not "Cold" enough.
"How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down On The Farm"???????????????????????????????

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
15 year old fridge.. sounds like I'm going to either look for a Mabe based on cb advice or an LG based on this.. I try to be financially conservative and don't buy fridges so my friends will come over and go WOW what a nice fridge he has!!.. I'd rather be the one in 10 years with a fridge that still works :) Thanks guys.

Check Gonzalez in POP... excellent service, and warranty. Go in with cash in hand (well, pocket...) and haggle. Might be an idea to check out the prices at other places first. But, although they are a bit more expensive at first, they will lower their prices to the competition. And they actually know what they are talking about, which is so refreshing...

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Chiming in here on my 'fridge from the floor of Sears "scratch&dent"Its a Fisher&Paykel (made in NZ)

Listed at $2795 - French doors w/ bottom freezer(worthwhile style, botton freezer - easier to cool)
$750 to me.... now, admittedly , its pretty beaten up on the front.... and clearly nobody but me was going to buy.

I want my friends to look at it and say - Can't you afford a decent 'fridge??
And they do...........