Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how to import a car older than 5 years

I am trying to import (from Miami) my classic car which is more than 5 years old, and is therefore ineligible for import, EXCEPT I saw in a recent DR1.com post on September 30, 2012 a comment that "you are not permitted to import anything older than five years old, unless it is a classic and have a letter from the Dominican classic car club."

Does anyone know how I can contact (by phone or email) anyone at the Dominican Republic Antique and Classic Cars Club (Club de Autos Antiguos y Clasicos de la Republica Dominicana) (CAACRD)? Their website CAACRD.com.do www.CAACRD.com.do is a dead URL link, but several recent newspaper articles about the club's recent events show that the club is active, and that the club president is Jacinto Pichardo ******* (for some unknown reason, the post entry is censoring the 3rd part of the name V-icioso, separated here with a dash to get it past the autobot censor), treasurer Cesar Medrano, and adviser Quirilio Vilorio. One club member is Hector Marrero. But the newspaper articles do not provide any clues to contacting them or the club.

Preferably, a CAACRD club member who speaks English would be very helpful, because I'm new here in DR and my Spanish language lessons are still at the very basic level.

Can any DR1.com readers provide additional tips regarding obtaining "a letter from the Dominican classic car club"?

Before I found the clue about the CAACRD letter, my immigration lawyer wrote a letter in early July 2012 to the Dirección General de Aduanas (Directorate General of Customs), requesting a waiver, but we did not receive a reply from them, so that was not an effective method.

Also, some DR1.com posts say "hire an import agent" or "import broker" and I am happy to do that, but I don't know where to start looking for a capable & honest one -- any recommendations?

Many thanks!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

It's incorrect to say you CANNOT import a car over 5 years.

You CAN, but there are large, substantial penalties that make the end cost just not worth it. Often the fees, taxes, duties and penalties are more than such a vehicle is worth.

Post Thanks / Like

If an auto IS classified as a classic, how is the value set at customs........
    For example, an 8 cyl. 63 Corvette............

B in Santiago

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

FOLLOW-UP NOTE -- I did contact CAACRD, and they cannot help because (they said) they do not consider a car to be a "classic" until it is OVER 30 YEARS OLD. My car is only 9 years old. I am still looking for a solution to import my car from Miami.

7. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bavaro golfer View Post
    FOLLOW-UP NOTE -- I did contact CAACRD, and they cannot help because (they said) they do not consider a car to be a "classic" until it is OVER 30 YEARS OLD. My car is only 9 years old. I am still looking for a solution to import my car from Miami.
    why would you think a 9 year old car is a classic? I have never heard of a vehicle less than 25-30 years old be considered for classic status? I think you may be out of luck on this BG..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default of course I don't think a 9-year old car is a classic

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoonnyc View Post
    why would you think a 9 year old car is a classic? I have never heard of a vehicle less than 25-30 years old be considered for classic status? I think you may be out of luck on this BG..
    No, I don't think a 9 year old car is a classic. I was merely researching ways to get a waiver from the "no cars imported over 5 years old" law. There does appear to be some "flexibility" (versus strict enforcement) of certain laws here in DR, especially if some pesos change hands and the right people are "tipped." I was merely investigating a different post on this topic that mentioned that there is a classic car club here (CAACRD) which "has status with the Customs people" for importing cars older than five years old, and they can write a letter which helps get older cars in. That's all. I just followed the lead to see where it went.

My car is a 2003 "Centennial" limited edition for Ford's 100th anniversary -- one of only 4,000 built -- a special limited 100th anniversary edition with special badging and a variety of other features unique to only the Centennial edition. There were more than 300,000 Ford Taurus cars built in 2003, so that makes my Centennial edition a 1-percent'er, and 100th anniversaries are significant milestones, which technically does make it rare, and historically significant, and very collectible (although not a classic). My car was garaged and kept in showroom condition. I considered the possibility that the car club might see its unique historic relevance and be interested in it. That's all. I just took a shot in the dark.

For reasons mentioned, I am still seeking a way around this problem.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As I understand the law was put in place to stop the importation of old cars and thus little by little help modernize the vehicles in use. Therefore, these laws are going to be very strict and punitive monetarily or if they weren't the used car dealers would still be importing old junk.

I have heard of a one time vehicle "exemption" that is supposedly transferable, ie they can be bought and sold(usually given to functionaries of the gov't). However, I would check with a reputable attorney like Guzman before paying any money for such a document. I was offered one for around US4k.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Your best bet would be to contact an importer who is a member of (this is not the exact name) Used Car Importers Association. Just drive to Higuey and start talking to big dealers, such as Fidelcris, Hilaria, etc. And see if they would be willing to import it under their wings. Next bet would be Santiago/Moca e.g. Espaillat Motors there. A friend's wife imported a Honda Pilot couple of years back under the wings of some family's importer (from San Francisco de M.), and it was cheaper than it would have been importing directly. That is one of the most feasible avenues you could find.

12. Likes Bavaro golfer liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    Your best bet would be to contact an importer who is a member of (this is not the exact name) Used Car Importers Association. Just drive to Higuey and start talking to big dealers, such as Fidelcris, Hilaria, etc. And see if they would be willing to import it under their wings. Next bet would be Santiago/Moca e.g. Espaillat Motors there. A friend's wife imported a Honda Pilot couple of years back under the wings of some family's importer (from San Francisco de M.), and it was cheaper than it would have been importing directly. That is one of the most feasible avenues you could find.
    That's good info. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast