DR1 motorcycle ride

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I thought I'd ask if fellow DR1'ers that have motorcycles would be interested in doing a half day trip from the North Coast to La Cumbre in Moca or Camp David for lunch. It would a good way for people to the person behind their posts :) and share the joys of riding a motorcycle here in the DR. I was thinking it would start in PP, Sosua or Cabarete with a light b'fast and conversation and then around 10:30 ride up to the mountain for an hour and then chat over a few drinks, have lunch and return. I have a small bike and wouldn't be interested in going to fast say 35-50 mph only on the back roads. It would be nice to see Dominicans invited as well.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Most Dominicans on dr1, or at least the ones I know, myself included, have 1000cc motor bikes. Riding at 35 or so MPH is somewhat of hassle on these bikes.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Most Dominicans on dr1, or at least the ones I know, myself included, have 1000cc motor bikes. Riding at 35 or so MPH is somewhat of hassle on these bikes.

No doubt true. That doesn't mean you guys with the bigger bikes can't get together but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to stay up. Maybe I could meet with you guys for lunch if it's close to Santiago or Moca. Hopefully you guys won't laugh at my bike too hard. :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I thought I'd ask if fellow DR1'ers that have motorcycles would be interested in doing a half day trip from the North Coast to La Cumbre in Moca or Camp David for lunch. It would a good way for people to the person behind their posts :) and share the joys of riding a motorcycle here in the DR. I was thinking it would start in PP, Sosua or Cabarete with a light b'fast and conversation and then around 10:30 ride up to the mountain for an hour and then chat over a few drinks, have lunch and return. I have a small bike and wouldn't be interested in going to fast say 35-50 mph only on the back roads. It would be nice to see Dominicans invited as well.

it's not possible for me to join you, but it sounds like a good time.... right up until the riding back after a few drinks. lol. at least for me... motorcycles and drinks don't add up to a pretty picture.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
it's not possible for me to join you, but it sounds like a good time.... right up until the riding back after a few drinks. lol. at least for me... motorcycles and drinks don't add up to a pretty picture.

Sorry, should have said refreshments.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
i would love to do it next month. i'm not in the DR right now.:classic:

Frank

Works for me. Maybe I'll meet you guys at La Cumbre for lunch since I doubt I could stay up on the open road. That would work out really good because I can bring the missus and the kids stay in Moca.

Dec 26, 2011
motorcycles and drinks don't add up to a pretty picture

This guy at a bar I used to frequent once explained to me in great detail how his bike handled better when he'd been drinking. About two weeks later...

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
North Coast to Camp David on two wheels. You guys got some big brass ones.
Be safe !!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
North Coast to Camp David on two wheels. You guys got some big brass ones.
Be safe !!

Paul

On the contrary that's a very nice ride if not boring. I've done it various times. I also have over 30,000 miles on bikes here in the DR since 2006 and have traveled all over the island. Believe it or not bikes are safe here as long as one learns the rules.

Speaking of the Carretera Turistica, driving at around 35-40 mph is slow enough so that one can hear what's going on around and even smell cooking. With an open helmet at these speeds it really doesn't get any better to tell you the truth.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How about a 100 cc three wheeled truck? Could I join the ride with that? The gardener where I live borrows mi car every once in a while maybe he'd loan me his trike!
Der Fish
Bring your family, some cattle and maybe some rebar!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Sounds like a great plan. I hope it becomes an ongoing event. Maybe we can work the Kool Aid into the tradition.

acid-koolaid.jpg

news01.jpg