Masa Harina.. anyone seen it?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Masa Harina is used to make authentic *ish* mexican corn tortillas.. considering the maria tortillas made here taste like CHEWY bubblegum with a rancid flour aftertaste.. I want to make my own. Masa Harina is wet milled not dry milled like corn flour so it's completely different. Has anyone seen it in any stores in the country, I haven't looked too hard but La Sirena and Janet's don't have it.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
On the same vein, anyone know where I can buy chickpea flour, none of the majors or Asiatico stock this. Thanks.

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
I bought it at Asiatico not so long ago - besan or gram flour it is called. Was looking for Masa Harina also with no luck yet.

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
We use Donarepa Extra Fina Harina Precocida de Maiz (precooked corn flour) and it makes very good corn tortillas (MUCH better than the Maria brand!!). I've seen it at Playero and La Sirena - near the regular flour. Can get a bigger package at La Sirena. We make all our own tortillas here - corn and flour.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
We use Donarepa Extra Fina Harina Precocida de Maiz (precooked corn flour) and it makes very good corn tortillas (MUCH better than the Maria brand!!). I've seen it at Playero and La Sirena - near the regular flour. Can get a bigger package at La Sirena. We make all our own tortillas here - corn and flour.

What's your recipe for tortillas using the Donarepa Harina?

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipe ? makes 10 to 12 tortillas (6-7 inches in diameter)</SPAN>
Ingredients:</SPAN>
2 cups corn masa</SPAN>
1 tsp salt</SPAN>
1 ? cup hot water plus 2-3 tablespoons</SPAN>
1 teaspoon shortening (Crisco)</SPAN>

Mix the masa harina and salt in a medium sized bowl. Measure the 1 ? cup water & shortening into a separate pan/bowl. Stir until shortening is melted. Pour this mixture into the flour & salt ? mix with a fork. When the mixture is cool enough to touch, mix the dough with your hands. If it is a little dry, add more hot water one teaspoon at a time until the dough stays together & doesn?t crumble, but is not sticky. Pre-heat a cast iron or heavy pan over medium/medium high heat. Do not grease the pan. Knead the dough for 1-2 minutes, then pinch off golf ball size pieces & roll into smooth round balls with your hands. (Don?t worry about over-handling it ? it is not like pie dough.) Keep remainder of the dough covered with plastic wrap or a damp paper towel to keep it from drying out. Flatten the balls with the palm of your hand ? or use a tortilla press if you have one ? making the tortilla approximately 1/8 inch thick (or thinner/thicker if you prefer). Place tortilla on the pan and cook for 45 seconds to a minute, then turn & cook the other side. Place cooked tortillas in foil to keep warm. Store tortillas in a zip bag or wrapped in plastic in the refrigerator for several days.

Enjoy!!! You'll never buy tortillas in the store again!!</SPAN>

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For gram/chickpea flour, try L'Epicier de l'Orient, Plaza Paseo de La Churchill, Roberto Pastoriza con Churchill. I've bought it there in the past. Failing that, some people have suggested grinding dried chickpeas in a coffee grinder - has anyone actually tried this?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Masa Harina is used to make authentic *ish* mexican corn tortillas.. considering the maria tortillas made here taste like CHEWY bubblegum with a rancid flour aftertaste.. I want to make my own. Masa Harina is wet milled not dry milled like corn flour so it's completely different. Has anyone seen it in any stores in the country, I haven't looked too hard but La Sirena and Janet's don't have it.

I think I remember seeing it in Super Pola in Bavaro/Punta Cana last trip.