History of Fisherman's Village Las Terrenas

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I received a link from a friends for a video history of Los Pueblos de Las Pescadores, Fisherman's Village in Las Terrenas. http.//you tu.be/zTqmQxutmBk.

LTS

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So are the businesses actually back and up and running in the newly built buildings?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Great effort to rebuild so quickly but the reconstruction has to be some of the most unimaginative possible. The former character and charm of the area has been lost with nothing but choice of paint to differentiate the most basic of rectangular structures. Very sad.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Windguy:

No, the buildings are there. That is it. I understand according to lasterrenaslive.com one person has signed a contract to reopen in Nov. It will take people with deep pockets to rent these locations. The rent per sq.mtr is high and all of the furnishings and equipment need to be bought. The government owns the new "fishermans village" and is not going to give anything away. Let's hope more come on board before the end of the year.

LTSteve

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Working for the Government?

Great effort to rebuild so quickly but the reconstruction has to be some of the most unimaginative possible. The former character and charm of the area has been lost with nothing but choice of paint to differentiate the most basic of rectangular structures. Very sad.

We were there this morning.
All restaurant places are empty.
IMO, the allurement and atmosphere of the former 'fishermen's village' is gone, the place has the coziness of a morgue...
This may get better once renters are found who will decorate their rooms (and pay between 50,000 and 70,000RD$/month as rumours have it).
I cannot imagine that this place will again have the life it had before the fire.
For all the restaurants there are 2 toilets (2x2)...

Because of a heavy downpour we had to stay 15 minutes inside the buildings.
After a few minutes I got a strong headache... the floors, the roofs' understructure, really everything is made of 'pino tratado'.... :paranoid:
donP

Ni loco will the government (="tur?smo") find renters stupid enough to work for them.

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Doomed Village

So are the businesses actually back and up and running in the newly built buildings?

When I was there a fortnight ago it was all empty and in some places water was dripping through the roofs....

Hastily built, shoddy stuff throughout.
Doomed to failure.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I was there a fortnight ago it was all empty and in some places water was dripping through the roofs....

Hastily built, shoddy stuff throughout.
Doomed to failure.

donP

Why does that not surprise me? Sad.

Pueblo de Perscadores will find renters... dont worry! And life will come back !

Ah, the power of positive thinking. Hopefully you are right.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Why does that not surprise me? Sad.

Ah, the power of positive thinking. Hopefully you are right.

Life is all about positive thinking but some people do not understand that... That's why these people are always looking to a half empty glass... Even if its almost full...

To achieve something you need to have positive people...

But it seems that in general only people with a negative attitude can write in forums...

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I heard that One Love (Canadian bar/restaurant--great owners, food, atmosphere, etc) had re-located to Pueblo?
And where did the fabulous Mosquito Bar go? I return to LT in a few weeks and will bring POSITIVE energy (and dinero :) to anyone who opens in the Pueblo!