Shipping gifts to the US

Oct 16, 2012
Hi

I want to ship some Christmas gifts from Santiago, DR to the US. Has anyone done this before? What is the average cost per pound?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The cheapest way I've found is to use Business Mail, aka BMcargo in Los Jardines because it can go regular mail. Everything else I've seen is through Fedex or UPS. Maybe somebody has more updated info.

Business Mail & Cargo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why don't you buy goodies online and ship it directly to the recipients? that is if you are not planning on sending something dominican...

Oct 16, 2012
I am plan on doing a lot of shopping online, but would like to send a few Dominican gifts. I have sent things from miami to santiago using Cps and Eps, usually paying around $5 pound.
When I went online today to check shipping cost from santiago to miami, the prices were crazy.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
You will not like the crazy prices from Business Mail either.
I asked them once and they are extremely expensive and I think the limit is 5 lbs.
At least $1,600 pesos or more for 5 pounds, I don't remember the actual rates.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Go to the post office and check the cost of express mail. I've used this method several times with no problem. It was fast. They will tell you not to wrap and seal the packages before you send them. The mail is insured and they want to be sure that what you are shipping is what you shipped in case there is a claim.

Yes, I know there are lots of naysayers about the post office. But the express mail is pretty good. There have been several threads about this in the past.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Gabby Santiago,
I am in Santiago and go to NYC every 7 days to work. If they can fit in my suitcase, I can take them and mail them from New York.
Only 2 stipulation is that I would have to see what it is, packaging un-tampered with. You would have to wrap them in front of me and then I will take them. And a copy of your DL (United States)
Sorry about the stipulation but it's a risk taking someone else's packages for them on a plane. I am willing to do the favor but have to cover my ass. Just in case something crazy was in there I need your information for the Feds to find you after I show them this thread.
Let me know. I'm a hell of a lot cheaper and quicker than these other suggestions.
A su orden

SHALENA

Oct 16, 2012
Thanks Shalena. That is really nice of you. I still have a few months before christmas. I am sure that I will figure something out.