Mushrooms

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I love mushrooms and rarely find them here. If you do find them in some of the international type supermarkets they are very expensive. I have just found these growing in my garden. Can I eat them? Or will this be my last post ever if I do? They are about 3 inches across and look like mushrooms!

bln4m.jpg

Matilda

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Matilda, you could try growing your own.
In London they have announced a plan to use the abandoned Mail Rail tunnel network and other underground systems no longer in use, as mushroom farms. Apparently the dark and damp tunnels are ideal for that purpose.
Looks like there may be a profitable use for the Santo Domingo Metro after all.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Matilda, please don't take someone's word here on the safety of eating a wild mushroom..............
Especially from a photo of one in your yard.............
That would be taking trust to an all new level............

B in Santiago

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well these grew in hot and dry under a coconut tree. I have tried growing English mushrooms here in coolish dark environment and nada. It is very frustrating to look at these and not know if I can eat them or not. Maybe I should find someone to try them on first?

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe I should find someone to try them on first?
Matilda

you have someone you really dislike? there is a variety of poisons in different type of hongos. some will wreck havoc in the central nervous system and ultimately cause a respiratory failure. others release toxins to internal organs and cause them fail one by one. in all cases the death is rather slow and very unpleasant. further more the effects take a while (hours) so usually it is to late to try to empty stomach contents and stop toxins from spreading.
just saying.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Yesterday I had a plate of Portabella mushrooms fried in Beurre butter imported from France................
Purchased everything from Supermercado National in Santiago.............
One word...............Yuuuuuuuummmmmmmy..............
If you are in Santiago, pm me, and my treat...........
I'll buy some for you.............
Portabella mushrooms and some French butter............

B in Santiago

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yesterday I had a plate of Portabella mushrooms fried in Beurre butter imported from France................
Purchased everything from Supermercado National in Santiago.............
One word...............Yuuuuuuuummmmmmmy..............
If you are in Santiago, pm me, and my treat...........
I'll buy some for you.............
Portabella mushrooms and some French butter............

B in Santiago

I may take you up on that! Have tried googling and look suspiciously like death cap mushrooms. You die. Do not pass go. Takes 6 days and no cure. So maybe will pass on them, but they do look soooooo delicious!

Matilda

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I may take you up on that! Have tried googling and look suspiciously like death cap mushrooms. You die. Do not pass go. Takes 6 days and no cure. So maybe will pass on them, but they do look soooooo delicious!

Matilda

or she will go on a magic carpet ride into the rabbit hole.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Have tried googling and look suspiciously like death cap mushrooms. You die. Do not pass go. Takes 6 days and no cure. So maybe will pass on them, but they do look soooooo delicious!

Matilda

Matilda, my master's thesis was on mycology - the study of fungi. You are right that they resemble Amanita (death cap) species. The flat cap with spots on the upper side is typical. I would not eat them. You undoubtedly discovered that these mushrooms are called the "Death Angels."

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Send them to me please!
I'll take them ALL!
My "Lovely Bride" will be "Dying" for them!!!!!!!!!!
I will brew her a "San Cocho" "To Die For"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Buen Provecho Mi VIDA"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Coleman

Oct 17, 2012
Interesting but I came to know that there are some type those are poinous and
killer and you should identify them before eating.
Do you know what are those breeds?