Update On Montellano Sugar Factory

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=2]Restart sugar factory goes on[/h] [h=5]The last few weeks reports reached us that the restart of the sugar factory in Montellano experienced a stagnation. There was talk of malpractice. After discussions between the company and the central government it seems that the problems have been solved.[/h] [h=5]El Consorcio Azucarero y Biocombustible Quisqueya[/h]
[h=5]It is now eight years since the sugar factory, after the debacle with the Baninter bank, was declared bankrupt. The population of the town of Montellano was entirely dependent on the revenue from the sugar factory. After the closure of the plant poverty hit the village. Almost the entire labor force was without work nor income. But also many small businesses had to close down and lay off staff. The new employer 'El Consorcio Azucarero y Biocombustible Quisqueya (CABIOQUI)' recently announced that they will pay outstanding debts to fuel supplier and will pay back wages for workers. For this, the company has made more than two million U.S. dollars available. Furthermore, there has arrived a freighter loaded with the necessary equipment and components in the harbor of Puerto Plata to restart the sugar factory.[/h]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i passed that place last sunday and it looked completely rotten and abandoned. i could not see any signs of re-construction. but hopefully it does come through...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
turn off the main road next to the gas station, follow that street. sugar cane buildings are almost at the end, on your right.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
went to montellano again (see a pattern here? been doing lots of montellano tours lately...) and i asked around. seems the factory is already operating again. so far it is not working full capacity but they are already employing people and looking to go full swing next year.
hopefully it will be of help to montellano because darn, i have seen some bad stuff there :(

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Machinery For Sugar Cane Production Arrives In Montellano

From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Last week arrived at the the sugar cane factory in Montellano the long waited for machinery and equipment necessary to start the production facility again.[/h] [h=5]New machinery[/h]
[h=5]The crowd of people present was amazed about the modern and shiny new equipment. The rumor went around that at least for 20 million pesos of new machinery arrived. The spokesman of the company 'El Consorcio Azucarero y Biocombustible Quisqueya (CABIOQUI)' Mr Jos? Gilberto Corniel said that this is only the first shipment. In the coming weeks, other shipments of machine parts and equipment will arrive. At the moment already many employees are working on transport of sugar cane, maintenance, office work and security. The restart of the sugar factory is now a fact. Hundreds of residents of Montellano have or will soon receive a job at the factory. There is hope and life for Montellano![/h]