My residencia

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Around 2 month ago I followed HB's advice and contacted the "Doctora".

As some might know, due to some circumstances (loong story) I was in the country for 15 years without residencia.

What I would like to report might not be applying for everybody but might clarify some things for some.

I need to mention that I am married (legally) to my Dominican wife since 1997 and that we have a 9 yr old son together.

I met the Doctora for a first interview and we found we would need the "acta de nacimiento / birth certificate" and "papel de buena conducta / police report" from my home country, Germany. Funny, police report for 15 years I wasn't even over there... anyway, being not able to go to Germany to visit the Dominican embassy there to apostille these papers because of my job etc. I arranged for getting them via the German Embassy, which was of great help.

Having the papers here we sent them via fedex to the Dominican Embassy in Germany to be stamped there (Having the right lawyer ;), she knows the Dominican Embassador there in person, it was possible to do so...).

This took about 10 days and the papers arrived.

Next step we had to go to Santo Domingo, to the "cancilleria" to apply for the visa. We met our lawyer, entered, got through to the right person right away and deposited our paperwork.

We went then to have a snack and after 2 hours the lawyer called and we met her at the cancilleria where she already had my passport with the visa in it.

It was a little bit too late to go right away to "imigracion" to get the medical exam same day so we went back to Bavaro agreeing to go there the next week Thursday (that was last week).

Thursday, October 11:

Immigration Office

We arrived in Santo Domingo at 9:30 AM, met our lawyer at the entrance of "imigracion". We went in, right through to the guarded door without to sit and wait turn etc. (again, having the right lawyer rocks :)!), at 10:45 AM we were done, went out, took pictures in the container outside, drove to the clinic to get the x-ray and where back by bus on the way to Bavaro at 1 PM.

Today my lawyer called me that the result from the medical exam came in and yeah, thats it. I have succesfully applied for residencia.

Without hassle, without bribes, without any other "horror story heard (or read before guess where?) before" complications, just like that as smooth as I never had it expected!

Of course I was absolutely lucky with my lawyer.

And, yes I've seen other "gringos" coming out discussing with their lawyer like "why you haven't told me that before? Now we have to come again..." or "What? Another 4,500 RD$ to pay?" Probably they had chosen the "Saturday law academy for 6 month educated "lawyers" ".

What I want to say: If you chose your lawyer wisely it is absolutely painless and NO hassle at all to get your residency and I hope I can encourage some more to get it done now!

Sorry for the long post...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Around 2 month ago I followed HB's advice and contacted the "Doctora".

As some might know, due to some circumstances (loong story) I was in the country for 15 years without residencia.

What I would like to report might not be applying for everybody but might clarify some things for some.

I need to mention that I am married (legally) to my Dominican wife since 1997 and that we have a 9 yr old son together.

I met the Doctora for a first interview and we found we would need the "acta de nacimiento / birth certificate" and "papel de buena conducta / police report" from my home country, Germany. Funny, police report for 15 years I wasn't even over there... anyway, being not able to go to Germany to visit the Dominican embassy there to apostille these papers because of my job etc. I arranged for getting them via the German Embassy, which was of great help.

Having the papers here we sent them via fedex to the Dominican Embassy in Germany to be stamped there (Having the right lawyer ;), she knows the Dominican Embassador there in person, it was possible to do so...).

This took about 10 days and the papers arrived.

Next step we had to go to Santo Domingo, to the "cancilleria" to apply for the visa. We met our lawyer, entered, got through to the right person right away and deposited our paperwork.

We went then to have a snack and after 2 hours the lawyer called and we met her at the cancilleria where she already had my passport with the visa in it.

It was a little bit too late to go right away to "imigracion" to get the medical exam same day so we went back to Bavaro agreeing to go there the next week Thursday (that was last week).

Thursday, October 11:

Immigration Office

We arrived in Santo Domingo at 9:30 AM, met our lawyer at the entrance of "imigracion". We went in, right through to the guarded door without to sit and wait turn etc. (again, having the right lawyer rocks :)!), at 10:45 AM we were done, went out, took pictures in the container outside, drove to the clinic to get the x-ray and where back by bus on the way to Bavaro at 1 PM.

Today my lawyer called me that the result from the medical exam came in and yeah, thats it. I have succesfully applied for residencia.

Without hassle, without bribes, without any other "horror story heard (or read before guess where?) before" complications, just like that as smooth as I never had it expected!

Of course I was absolutely lucky with my lawyer.

And, yes I've seen other "gringos" coming out discussing with their lawyer like "why you haven't told me that before? Now we have to come again..." or "What? Another 4,500 RD$ to pay?" Probably they had chosen the "Saturday law academy for 6 month educated "lawyers" ".

What I want to say: If you chose your lawyer wisely it is absolutely painless and NO hassle at all to get your residency and I hope I can encourage some more to get it done now!

Sorry for the long post...

That pretty muchy sums up what I went through as well- paying for the fast track (LESS THAN 6 MONTHS) then 1000usd....Simple right??? then Dominicanitis set in and it took 2 years to receive it!! You can imagine there was at least 100 excuses for this.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Do you actually have your residency card and cedula in your possession?

Matilda

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Me? I just finished the medical - results were in today - how could I possibly already have these?

As I said:

"Today my lawyer called me that the result from the medical exam came in and yeah, thats it. I have succesfully applied for residencia."

Do you actually have your residency card and cedula in your possession?

Matilda

Last edited:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Me? I just finished the medical - results were in today - how could I possibly already have these?

As I said:

"Today my lawyer called me that the result from the medical exam came in and yeah, thats it. I have succesfully applied for residencia."

It will take up to 4 months before you actually get approved or not.

Just because you buy a lottery ticket does not mean you will win!

Doncamilo

Jun 22, 2012
...so you dont actually have it...well then, get ready for a long ride! (ofcours i wish you a shorter one;).

i received my documents last week....after 12 months!...and yes, I also got everything set up and 'applied' within one day.
and yes...my lawer was arranged through my company. she has many years of experience and knows everyone there at the government building.....but THAT....does not mean one thing.

i will be pending of your post saying you received the documents...in hand.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I go next week to get my Cedula, ad the process took approx 8 months from start to finish, and I was told 6-8 months so no complaints.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
I go next week to get my Cedula, ad the process took approx 8 months from start to finish, and I was told 6-8 months so no complaints.

Once you received the 'residencia' you should get the 'cedula' at JCE without delay.

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cedula

i believe its the other way around..?...as i went to pick up the cedula and with that, my residencia..

Foreigners need their 'residencia' in order to get/renew their 'cedula'.
I renewed my 'residencia' last Friday, but my 'cedula' is still valid until 2013.
I am not certain about renewal date though.

On the one hand it says (the 'cedula') it is valid until my birthday but the receipt for my last JCE payment says
"Expiraci?n: 17.xxx 2013" (which is about one month earlier).

Anyway, I was told (at DGM) I need to renew the 'cedula' within 30 days past its expiration day...

Well, still time enough to find out the real expiration date. ;)

donP

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Did I say I am in a hurry to get it? I have all the time in the world...

What I wanted to point out is that the procedure can be done without much hassle and time wasting b/c many are concerned about that.

...so you dont actually have it...well then, get ready for a long ride! (ofcours i wish you a shorter one;).

i received my documents last week....after 12 months!...and yes, I also got everything set up and 'applied' within one day.
and yes...my lawer was arranged through my company. she has many years of experience and knows everyone there at the government building.....but THAT....does not mean one thing.

i will be pending of your post saying you received the documents...in hand.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
I will be going next week to apply. I have my visa from the Dominican Consulate, birth cert stamped and translated, police report stamped as well. Any other documents required? The Consulate translated the birth cert but not the police report. Do I have to get this translated as well?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I will be going next week to apply. I have my visa from the Dominican Consulate, birth cert stamped and translated, police report stamped as well. Any other documents required? The Consulate translated the birth cert but not the police report. Do I have to get this translated as well?

Yes, ALL documents required also require translation and certification.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Update:

Just got a call from my lawyer, my resodencia is ready, gotta pick up my papers / cedula next week! Was pretty fast... :)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Now I finally have the last missing piece to apply for the visa for Panama, he, he :cool:

...kidding (but, who knows...;))

Update:

Just got a call from my lawyer, my resodencia is ready, gotta pick up my papers / cedula next week! Was pretty fast... :)