Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 132
  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Affordable housing construction

    Since I have started my contracting company and consulting for an orphanage I have taking a keen interest in developing a low cost model for low to middle income families. Currently, the least expensive systems in use now run around US25 per square feet and I would like to develop a system for around $18 per sf. I would like to do so first of all as I believe this is something that could really benefit the DR.

    The least expensive homes generally have 6" concrete block walls with columns and beams and a corrugated roof with with wood structure. I known this topic has been discussed a year or so ago but with technological advances I thought it would be interesting to see what people come up with. For example, I saw in the news last night that Mexican waste collection company was now recycling plastic to create panels for small home construction. I think that is a fantastic idea. My own idea would be to create a structural floor, beam and column system with the traditional corrugated roof but use some type of inexpensive panels. As it is now the cost per square foot of a concrete wall system (block, plaster both sides, labor) runs around US2.50-3.00. With an self supporting structure and a cheap but durable interior and exterior siding I think this cost could be considerably reduced. There is a lightweight concrete panels sytem currently in use here but there is no economic advantage for small homes. Any input would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chip, What are the advantages to the to the panels? Would they be economical on a 2000 sq foot 2nd fl?

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    Chip, What are the advantages to the to the panels? Would they be economical on a 2000 sq foot 2nd fl?
    Really low cost housing. It might work for you but at this point I don't know of any system like that available here in the DR.

  4. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chip,

    Are you a Dominican engineer?

  5. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm an American engineer but getting a masters in construction administration from PUCMM. Ultimately, si Dios quiera and my other business is doing well I would like to create a non profit business to build these homes and I would draw no salary of course. I would like to give back to the community.

  6. Likes Expat13, Wishing you well, arrugala liked this post
  7. #6
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good to know and good luck, thanks. I thought you were indeed Dominican....."Si Dios quiere" is very Dominican

  8. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    Good to know and good luck, thanks. I thought you were indeed Dominican....."Si Dios quiere" is very Dominican
    My wife, daughters, family, friends and classmates are rubbing off on me.

  9. Likes arrugala liked this post
  10. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    lots of different variations on panels using e.p.s. (expandable poly styrene / a.k.a. "Styrofoam" which is a trademarked product.) there are forms for concrete construction, also combinations of e.p.s. sandwiches with o.s.b. or plywood.

  11. Likes Chip liked this post
  12. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chip,
    interesting topic.
    Can you provide illustrative photos of what a house constructed for $25/sq foot looks like?
    I and perhaps others would be interested to see. Such things as floors, roof exterior, ceiling interior, how interior walls are finished, bathroom, windows are glass pane or metal/glass shutters, etc. Plus any comments you have on what may not be included that would be in a higher cost structure. for example, at this price range, would you typically run hot and cold water lines... are sewage pipes smaller... i guess in other words where costs are cut to obtain this price range.
    thanks in advance for any help with us picturing what $25/foot buys.

  13. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFA123 View Post
    Chip,
    interesting topic.
    Can you provide illustrative photos of what a house constructed for $25/sq foot looks like?
    I and perhaps others would be interested to see. Such things as floors, roof exterior, ceiling interior, how interior walls are finished, bathroom, windows are glass pane or metal/glass shutters, etc. Plus any comments you have on what may not be included that would be in a higher cost structure. for example, at this price range, would you typically run hot and cold water lines... are sewage pipes smaller... i guess in other words where costs are cut to obtain this price range.
    thanks in advance for any help with us picturing what $25/foot buys.
    This is a typical block home with painted concrete floor and typically one bathroom and a small kitchen. While pvc pipe is cheap I doubt most are plumbed for hw. The roof is zinc as they say here and is also probably painted with the cheapest paint avaialbe at around RD1200 for a 5 gal bucket. This would assume no structural fill would be needed and no heavy equipment for the compacting, maybe a small gas operated one. This wouldn't generally included a lot of woodwork and would probably have pine doors if not metal. Also, it would have the typical venetian window blinds. The house sizes for the construction are generally less than 100 sm from what I've seen.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •