Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cherry Popped! Stopped By Policia

Ok I'be read many stories here of people being stopped by police for no reason here in DR. For some reason I never really thought about it happening to me.

My friend and I had just finished seeing a really scary movie called SINISTER at Caribbean Cinemas Cinema Centro on the Malecon. Realizing I needed money for taxi, we went to a nearby ATM. As we walked toward the taxi, two officers on a motorcycle stopped us. We both stayed really calm. They wanted to search everything in my pockets. It seemed they were looking for drugs. Luckily I was able to speak with them in Spanish and explain that I work as a teacher here and I'm not a tourist here looking for debauchery. I was sure that eventually is have to give them the money I just withdrew from Banco Popular. They seemed perplexed that I had a Banco Popular ATM card and kept checking my name with my NY state ID. My friend showed them his ticket stub that we were just at the movies. Finally they let us go and I didn't need to give them money.

The experience was quite unnerving. My nerves were already shot from the scary movie we saw (usually horror movies don't scare me. This one did!) so I felt really tense. At the same time I am relieved that nothing bad happened besides feeling violated. During the experience I kept thinking what if they keep my wallet. What if they put me in jail overnight for no reason. I've heard stories of that happening. Anyway I feel my cherry was popped as it seems this was inevitable experience to have in DR. Thank God I am not interested in buying drugs!

2. Likes waytogo, Noballs liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i was stopped by the police back home once, for being drunk and disorderly taken to the station and then back home (i was under age). kinda fun, since i was sloshed out of my mind, but generally i believe all encounters with the police are unnerving.
    glad you came out of your adventure in one piece

4. Likes KJS73 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Never stop.
    Never ever stop.

Wait. What? You were stopped on foot?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pollogringo View Post
    Never stop.
    Never ever stop.

Wait. What? You were stopped on foot?
    Yes that's what made it even more jarring!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJS73 View Post
    Yes that's what made it even more jarring!
    I guess so.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just pretend to throw up they will go always. They don't want to get their uniform dirty

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I got mine popped last Saturday. We were stopped by policeon the way back home from work. The police straight out asked for lunch money so we gave them $200 pasos as drinking money. They let us go without any other questions.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Traditionally when I am stopped by the police (it seems to happen more than it should for no reason) I play the stupid gringo card. Kick in a southern slang accent just keep telling them "What? I don't speak your language. Sorry." After doing this for 10 years I've only once had a policemen answer me back in English and I've never had to stay stopped for more than a few minutes.

Of course if I were to break the law the above wouldn't work too well!

11. Likes pelaut liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't ever give these scum cops a peso!
    At best, give them a Chicklet.

If they continue to hassle you, ask for their name and number, they will run like cockroaches.

13. Likes pollogringo, young seniors, pelaut liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course if I were to break the law the above wouldn't work too well!
    If you were to actually break the law, they wouldn't stop you. They only harass the law-abiding.

15. Likes young seniors liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast