DR Gov: Abortion illegal - go to jail for 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Quote from Dominican Today:

"Abortion

Abortion will also be punished with from 2 to 3 years and includes women who induce or a person who helps. If a doctor, nurse, midwife, surgeon, pharmacist or other professional helps induce an abortion, the penalty would be from 4 to 10 years."

How can it be that a country teeming with abandoned children and absentee fathers could honestly criminalize abortion with up to 10 years of prison time?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Education, self-esteem and informed access to contraception is the real solution:
Abortion rates fall in developed world but rise in poorer countries - The Globe and Mail
The study found that the abortion rate is actually lower in places where abortion is legal, such as South Africa, suggesting that anti-abortion laws may be ineffective and even counter-productive.
Women who can afford it will travel abroad or get them locally - at fancy prices - from society gynaecologists.
Women who can't will continue to risk their lives with backstreet abortions.
But the self-righteous politicos can happily pat themselves on the back for doing the right thing, while sending their teenage mistresses or daughters to the same society gynaecologists.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
There are 19 Million people on this one island.

10 Million on the DR side
9 Million on the Haitian side

When i moved here for high school in 1977, there was less than 10 Million people on the whole island. now its doubled, with no sign of slowing down. the different religious organizations and groups go to great effort to keep abortion illegal. they also do not advocate or provide free contraceptives to the people. How responsible is that?

When my father grew up here in the 1930's and 40's, there were less than 5 Million people on the whole island.

If your against abortion, then get off your asssess and hand out free contraceptives to the people. Otherwise, you're no better than the organized religions here. you're not only not part of the solution...you're part of the problem.

Either do something about the population explosion growth on this island, or continue burying your head in the sand.

How much longer before the population doubles again? What? it's not enough that people are piling themselves like cardboard into unsafe wooden boats and drowning by the thousands every decade trying to flee this island...now people want the population to double by keeping abortion illegal.

I'm sorry, too much religion and too many religious bigots are doing their best to keep the people here rooted in a deep seated poverty. in this manner, you're a menace to the society. you're not part of any solution whatsoever. you're just part of the status quo of keeping people impoverished.

How many times do i have to remind people here that my cousin and his ex-wife are gynecologist here on this island and they are sick and tired of treating women for horrendous infections from self-induced abortions. women are losing their lives here every week here trying to self-induce abortions. many are drinking crazy concoctions of home made potions without any idea of whether or not it will work others are going to extreme solutions to get rid of the baby.

Does anyone here have a clue how many pregnancies are unwanted? What...you think people will stop having sex because of fear of the consequences? Has the fear or promotion of abstinence ever worked in the history of mankind? How do you think this island doubled in population despite having religion dominating every corner of this island. abstinence does not work, it never has worked, and it never will work. people have sex, and there's nothing anyone can do--including your god--to stop it or slow it down.

If your promoting the continued illegality of abortion here on this island, then you are a menace to this culture and society and the deep seated poverty its entrenched in.

What boggles my mind the most is that it's mostly religious men making these decisions over women and their bodies. How macabre is that. the men have no problem impregnating the women, but then they also wan to be the ones deciding what the woman can and cannot do. It's like were still living in the Dark Ages here.

Frank

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But doubling the population every generation is a good thing, isn't it? After all resources on this island are unlimited. At least the leadership here must think so.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
How sick is it when an organization and its sheep like followers make abortion illegal and then stand back and watch the population explode to the point of rupture?

How sick is it when you have 19 million people crammed on an island roughly the size of a small US state--where people have very little chance of getting off the island in order to better their lives--but then you go around promoting higher birth rates with very little access to "Affordable contraception."

Compared to the US....

1. domincans have 4.1 times higher chance of dying in infancy
2. domincans have 83.3% higher chance of getting HIV/Aids.
3. dominicans have access to 89% less electricity.
4. dominicans make 82.1% less money.
5. dominicans are 62% more likely to be unemployed.
6. dominicans have 60% more babies.
7. dominicans spend 94% less on health care.

Here we are--a deeply impoverished island with no infrastructure, few job opportunities, and little education, and people want to promote people entrenched in deep seated poverty to have more and more children.

How sick is it when--as a North American or European--you come down here from rich countries with access to everything--including golden education, health care, and job opportunities--but then you go around promoting your religious agenda to everyone while simulteanously stripping people access to free contraceptives or abortion.

Meanwhile, people continue having more and more babies without any proper way of taking care of them. And meanwhile, women continue dying and getting horrendous uterus infections from trying to abort their unwanted pregnanies.

And then you get logic like this: "But only 4% of abortions are from rape and incest."

Great!! So of the 42 Million abortions done each year world wide, it's perfectly ok to have nearly 2 Million births from rape and incest....unless of course it involves your daughter.

Frank

Last edited:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Hey Chip, finally a thread about abortion.............
Where are you............
The flood gate has been opened.................
And you are speechless..................
As Michael Buffer would say..............."Let's get ready to rumble"

B in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I was just speaking about this to our cleaning lady, and she says every woman here can go to special clinics from the government and get the pill for free. Her daughter does this every month. Most cannot be bothered, apparently.

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, any woman can go to salud publica and get free contraceptives and condoms. the problem is that many do not have access to that (in campos or small villages) and others refuse to do it because "it will make them fat".
the cheapest contraceptive pills in pharmacy are about 100 pesos per month. we sell less of those than the morning after pill (150 pesos). some women come to buy dia despues pill every single weekend...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You ACTUALLY think the population of the DR is exploding because of lack of "access" to contraception???????
NOT SO!
The young girls get pregnant not do to lack of using, or access to,"contraception", but to lack of education, and cultural acceptance of their pregnancy.
And what about "Male Contraception", You Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust be joking"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not by the "Macho Men" in the DR!
"Like the "Scorpion" that "stings" the frog carrying itacross the river", Dominican girls get pregnant because, "It's What They Do"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's what their mothers, and grandmothers, aunts, and "Primas" did, and do, and will continue to do!
The fact that the guy who impregnates them will not be around to help her raise the child,never enters her mind.
She just wants the "Unconditional Love" that a baby gives to it's mother.
AND, she won't have to care for her baby, her mother gets that job.
She will,exactly like "Frito Lay Doritos", "Just Make More"!
Then in 15 or 16 years, she will take care of her daughter's "fatherless" children, just like her "Mami", and "Abuelita" did before.
Dominicans don't think about the consequences of any of their accions, what makes you think they are concerned about pregnancy?
AND, they don't even learn from their "mistakes", they just keep "poping out" one child they can't/don't/won't take of after another.
The concept of "quality" over "quantity" is a concept beyond comprehention on this "Little Rock"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
CC, you're right, sadly. That's why improving education is the main factor that will make the difference in terms of reducing unwanted pregnancies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You ACTUALLY think the population of the DR is exploding because of lack of "access" to contraception???????
NOT SO!
The young girls get pregnant not do to lack of using, or access to,"contraception", but to lack of education, and cultural acceptance of their pregnancy.
And what about "Male Contraception", You Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust be joking"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not by the "Macho Men" in the DR!
"Like the "Scorpion" that "stings" the frog carrying itacross the river", Dominican girls get pregnant because, "It's What They Do"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's what their mothers, and grandmothers, aunts, and "Primas" did, and do, and will continue to do!
The fact that the guy who impregnates them will not be around to help her raise the child,never enters her mind.
She just wants the "Unconditional Love" that a baby gives to it's mother.
AND, she won't have to care for her baby, her mother gets that job.
She will,exactly like "Frito Lay Doritos", "Just Make More"!
Then in 15 or 16 years, she will take care of her daughter's "fatherless" children, just like her "Mami", and "Abuelita" did before.
Dominicans don't think about the consequences of any of their accions, what makes you think they are concerned about pregnancy?
AND, they don't even learn from their "mistakes", they just keep "poping out" one child they can't/don't/won't take of after another.
The concept of "quality" over "quantity" is a concept beyond comprehention on this "Little Rock"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Sounds like America...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
CB, you know NADA! in america pregnant youngsters can apply to MTV's "teen mom" and make lots and lots and lots of money!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
This week alone I've been told by 2 different women who both have sons that they would like to have a daughter like mine and then wouldn't mind that i'd get them pregnant. Both of them answered when I said that I didn't want anymore to take care off that that was no problem and they would take care of the kids themselves. Go figure

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm not promoting promiscuity in the least but my take is when God created sex He knew what was going to happen. :) Therefore, I believe this world has the resources to care of it's children as opposed to eliminating them violently in the womb. Two wrongs never make a right.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CB, you know NADA! in america pregnant youngsters can apply to MTV's "teen mom" and make lots and lots and lots of money!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Are you kidding???

MTV Teen Mom?????

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
There are 19 Million people on this one island.

10 Million on the DR side
9 Million on the Haitian side

When i moved here for high school in 1977, there was less than 10 Million people on the whole island. now its doubled, with no sign of slowing down. the different religious organizations and groups go to great effort to keep abortion illegal. they also do not advocate or provide free contraceptives to the people. How responsible is that?

When my father grew up here in the 1930's and 40's, there were less than 5 Million people on the whole island.

If your against abortion, then get off your asssess and hand out free contraceptives to the people. Otherwise, you're no better than the organized religions here. you're not only not part of the solution...you're part of the problem.

Either do something about the population explosion growth on this island, or continue burying your head in the sand.

How much longer before the population doubles again? What? it's not enough that people are piling themselves like cardboard into unsafe wooden boats and drowning by the thousands every decade trying to flee this island...now people want the population to double by keeping abortion illegal.

I'm sorry, too much religion and too many religious bigots are doing their best to keep the people here rooted in a deep seated poverty. in this manner, you're a menace to the society. you're not part of any solution whatsoever. you're just part of the status quo of keeping people impoverished.

How many times do i have to remind people here that my cousin and his ex-wife are gynecologist here on this island and they are sick and tired of treating women for horrendous infections from self-induced abortions. women are losing their lives here every week here trying to self-induce abortions. many are drinking crazy concoctions of home made potions without any idea of whether or not it will work others are going to extreme solutions to get rid of the baby.

Does anyone here have a clue how many pregnancies are unwanted? What...you think people will stop having sex because of fear of the consequences? Has the fear or promotion of abstinence ever worked in the history of mankind? How do you think this island doubled in population despite having religion dominating every corner of this island. abstinence does not work, it never has worked, and it never will work. people have sex, and there's nothing anyone can do--including your god--to stop it or slow it down.

If your promoting the continued illegality of abortion here on this island, then you are a menace to this culture and society and the deep seated poverty its entrenched in.

What boggles my mind the most is that it's mostly religious men making these decisions over women and their bodies. How macabre is that. the men have no problem impregnating the women, but then they also wan to be the ones deciding what the woman can and cannot do. It's like were still living in the Dark Ages here.

Frank

Well said.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I'm not promoting promiscuity in the least but my take is when God created sex He knew what was going to happen. :) Therefore, I believe this world has the resources to care of it's children as opposed to eliminating them violently in the womb. Two wrongs never make a right.

Thank God for the US Welfare System!! :)

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
So what gives with this law? Is it just sabre rattling? If there are 'society doctors' that do abortion, does that mean the law is never applied? like every other law in DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.