European Expats: Demand for European Food Products

Would you buy food products from your home country, if it was available in the DR?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This poll is directed towards European expats.

Would you buy food products from your home country, if it was available in the Dominican Republic?

Please vote and then post the European products or brands that you would like to see in a Dominican store.

Poll courtesy of Miarami.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Sauces by D&L
More choice of Belgian beers
Game ( wild meat)
Marsipan
Grey shrimp
Mussels in shells, and not frozen
game pate's
Crisps with decent flavors like paprika, and belgian pickles

BelgianK

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
OK, "Borscht" was a joke I admit ;)...

Now, in serious

I second "Marzipan"

Chocolate "Milka Noisette"

Kinder Schokolade

Kinder "Ueberraschungseier"

Haribo Gummibaerchen

More Cheese

Loewensenf

Pickles

"Dany + Sahne"

Rostbratwurst

Sauerkraut

REAL Salami

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
haribo is available in jose luis in POP. sauerkraut too, occasionally - and then i buy it all - but i have also seen it in sosua.

i will not go with the products, too many and too foreign for you folks. but what i would like to see is a decent profit margin, not disgusting greed. i gave an example of ritter sport chocolate, 4 times more expensive in DR. damn, whoever buys it does not get it at european retail price. they get it cheaper, wholesale. the profit they are asking for is outrageous!

another thing is nivea cosmetics. dirt cheap in germany or poland. a good facewash, in a retailer shop, costs an equivalent of about 100 pesos. in la sirena it is 565 pesos. what. the. f**k.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
OK, "Borscht" was a joke I admit ;)...

Now, in serious

I second "Marzipan"

Chocolate "Milka Noisette"

Kinder Schokolade I can sent you

Kinder "Ueberraschungseier" Same

Haribo Gummibaerchen same

More Cheese

Loewensenf same

Pickles

"Dany + Sahne"

Rostbratwurst

Sauerkraut same

REAL Salami

BelgianK

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Of course it would depend on the price, but if it were not too expensive, my must haves would be
Brown sauce (HP/Daddies)
Lea and Perrin's Worcestershire sauce (not the stuff called "Salsa Ingles" here)

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Maybe somebody is making a shopping list

if so
add
Hering in Sahnesosse
Edle Tropfen in Nuss
Mohrenkoepfe !
Manu

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, then let me chip in with more products. many polish things, of course, but in general i miss:
good bread
chocolate
herring (fresh or pickled, in a jar)
sweets in general, like knoppfers, chocolate coated cookies and so on
polish vodka other than belvedere (damn, did you the price?)
european beers (polish, czech, belgian, german)
more sweets
branston pickes
variety of spices, flavoured salt etc
dr pepper with a twist (i see in the states they sell cherry or vanilla flavoured dr pepper, i want!)

and, above all, sweets :laugh:

all priced decently, without 400% markup. i believe it is better to earn less per item and sell more items than earn more percentage and sell less product.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the best idea here is an online shop. one would need less space: just a warehouse packed tightly with shelves. and one or two small vans to carry goodies. one could open the account with address and delivery details and order online and pay using paypal. then once or twice a week there would be a delivery. a van could easily go several cities in one day. shop owner would send an email or call with "my boys will be there on this and that day, in the morning/evening".
and voila: order online and have things delivered to your door.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
paypal might be difficult for some people, as paypal in the DR is not so easy. But certified Visa payments, or if he has couriers, payment on delivery.

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can be. i was thinking paypal for security but you are correct in saying that safe payments can be made via other means. as a seller i would not do payment upon delivery thou, those bloody gringos can be tricksters! ;)