Whoa.. didn't expect this : Los Charros y los pinches Chaparros

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
This restaurant is in Cofresi, Puerto Plata.. WOW is all I have to say, it's the best Mexican Food I've had outside of Cali or Mexico of course.. The actually make their OWN tortillas.. thank you Lord! The Pork Al Pastor was absolutely delicious, awesome customer service, and the most suprising thing of all was the prices, TOTALLY reasonable.. 13 tacos, an appetizer of nachos/cheese/jalapenos, a few diet cokes and a water came out to like 1200 pesos.. 30$ US HAHA.

I absolutely recommend this place and usually I wouldn't even try touristy type places like this expecting decent food, but boy was I suprised. Anyone interested in trying out some authentic Mexican right here on the island, give this place a shot.. If you are tired of dry chewy "Maria" brand tortillas in the DR, give this place a shot.. thank me later.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A couple of questions: did you notice what else was on the menu and is there a nice public beach nearby like at Costambar?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
A couple of questions: did you notice what else was on the menu and is there a nice public beach nearby like at Costambar?

Yes.. just about everything authentic mexican, mole, street style tacos, flautas, nachos, fajitas etc etc, there is also a public beach right across the street but I didn't go to it.

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Hi, thanks for the info, could you please give me their adress please. I love mexican food!! Just hope that their not just another american-mexian restaurant but that it will be authentic

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hi, thanks for the info, could you please give me their adress please. I love mexican food!! Just hope that their not just another american-mexian restaurant but that it will be authentic

It's on the way to Puerto Plata from Santiago. I think the best way to get there is take the exit for Ocean World.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
pretty much any mexican food you will get here is going to be texmex.

I hate texmex, and this place is not tex mex .. more like socal/nor mex (TJ) style mexican food, absolutely delicious!

This place is like inside of the oceanworld complex, like 1KM or so before actually getting to oceanworld.. the area is called cofresi i believe.. Coming from SOSUA/CAB just drive to puerto plata, when you hit the sign that says malecon centro cuidad etc stay to the left, don't go towards the centro cuidad, you will eventually see a huge ocean world sign on the right hand sign (5 or so KM after the part when you stay to the left).

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Its right across the road from Cofresi beach between Cofresi Palms (the old sun village) and Ocean World. Its definitely not Texmex. Its open for lunch and dinner every day except Mondays. The food is outstanding, I live in Cofresi and eat there often.

charlie&ziggy

Mar 1, 2009
Excellent Food

It's on the way to Puerto Plata from Santiago. I think the best way to get there is take the exit for Ocean World.

It is on the way into Confressi / Ocean world, We have made it a regular stop every time we come to the DR. I can't remember their names at the moment, But the wife is mexican and has trained her people well. It is not a Tex-mex place at all. After working in Mexico and living there for a bit it was a great surprise to find Mexican food so good. I heve never heard a bad thing about the food, Try it you will be impressed

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Its right across the road from Cofresi beach between Cofresi Palms (the old sun village) and Ocean World. Its definitely not Texmex. Its open for lunch and dinner every day except Mondays. The food is outstanding, I live in Cofresi and eat there often.

Thanks Conchman, how are the prices...?