Johnny Rockets in StoDgo

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We had a short time to kill midday in the Capital today and were hungry. We stopped at Johnny Rockets because, honestly, it was the first eating place on the road in horrible stopped traffic.

Hadn't eaten in such a joint in the DR for a loooooong time, but have fond memories of JR in FL.

Nice. Well designed and executed. Spotless. Friendly, smiling, efficient staff.

We walked in to a 16-person unison of "HELLO!!!"

The place was packed. One table must have had 20 people from a local office or something. 20 people laughing and fingering smartphones in unison.

Got seated, looked at the menu and ordered from our very nice, perky, attentive waitress. Ordered a bacon cheeseburger, a Philly Cheesesteak, fries and a chocolate malt. The food was delivered very quickly, desert shake first.

All EXCELLENT. I mean, as good as it gets. Especially the malt. Yummm Meee!

We got a line-dancing floor show to Aretha Franklin's "Respect." R-E-S-P-E-C-T. I was looking for Jake and Elwood. I forgot for a moment I was in the Dominican Republic.

It was a bit pricy, however: about RD$1000.

Not sayin' I'll go back soon because we rarely eat like that. But if the same conditions present themselves I'd go back in a heartbeat..of which I may have fewer in inventory after those delectable gutbombs...:cheeky:

Worth a try if you like that kind of thing...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Ate there a few days ago and agree that the food is good. Really crowded though but it is rather new so lets see how long the crowds last. Been to Johnny Rockets in the USA and this is somewhat comparable. A bit greasy for me but good. For me it was better than Friday's but that is my opinion.

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Amazing how good it feels to get GREAT customer service in the DR isn't it? I am not bashing - just saying. I have been to that Johnny Rockets with a local and we both left raving about the service. And of course I like the food too.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Everytime I go to the capital I have such a hard time choosing where to eat, so many places available that I miss from the US, I remember HATING this place when I lived in Florida but I know if I ate it now I would just love it, I guess if you give something a long enough break it becomes appealing again.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the recommendation! My partner and I are traveling to the Capital to next week to pick up our cedulas. I had suggested we eat at the new Johnny Rockets but he wasn't as eager. I'll make sure he reads your review. When I lived and worked in DC (Georgetown) I used to frequent the JR's on M street. Needless to say I was about 25 pounds heavier...LOL.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Well I still can't figure out what all the Hoop-la is about Johnny Rockets in Santo Domingo. Ended up in there today, I guess just to say "Been there, done that" as it sure wasn't what I set out to do. The milkshakes are very good and the rest of the food is mediocre at the best. One hamburger, one cheesy fries with bacon bits, and two milkshakes set me back $1200 pesos. I can think of quite a few things I could have feasted on for less. Just my two pesos, I doubt I will be returning.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don't do, MacDonalds,Burger King, Subway,Krappy Kreem",Baskin Robbins,The Colonel,Nathan's, Johnny Rockets,Tony Roma's, Friday's,Taco Bell, or ANY other American Fast Food Restaurant in the DR!!!
Not because I don't like their food,I do, I just won't pay "Double", or MORE, than I would in the USA for the same thing!
The only exception I do make, is Pizza Hut.
I like a pizza made with cheese from cows, not in the plastic factories of Sosua.
Besides, on Tue. & Wed. they have "Two, for the price of one!"
AND, I can make anything at home, better, cheaper,and fresher than they can.
Right now I am making boneless pork ribs.
For breakfast, it was a "Fritata" with last night's "Espagetti Carbonara" with more cheese added.
YES!, I DID make a "New Year's Resolution", Maybe NEXT YEAR!!!! :ermm::ermm::ermm:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
CC I want to come to your house..That breakfast sounds sooooo good...Yes I broke my New Year's Resolution at 12:05 am just like every year. Oh well guess I am consistent.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It WAS a great breakfast!!
And "Lunch", while I wait for those "Ribs"!
My mother-in-law used a whole pound of "Smithfield" smoked bacon (Cheaper than Dominican razor thin sliced Pig Meat) in the "Espagetti Carbonara".
And I bought Italian Durham wheat semolina pasta.
100 pesos well spent!
No Dominican "Mush" for us!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"GO PATS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Where'd you get Smithfield bacon for cheaper than dominican bacon? dominican bacon is too hit and miss. sometimes its as good as american bacon but other times it stinks from the moment you open it up.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Supermercado National has USA imported bacon most of the time. Some brands you will recognize, some "Not-So-Much"!
When it goes on sale, I buy several pounds if it's a Known, to me at least, brand. If it's a private label, I buy 1 pound, try it, then buy more.
Same goes for "Hot Dogs".
Dominican bacon, and hot dogs are not very good. I do find "Emilio's" hot dogs pretty good. Maybe because I have been here too looooong!
But you can find good, cheap American hot dogs at most large "Supers".
Even imported USA beef, pork, and chicken, are now often lower priced than "Criollo".
The huge tax increases on food here will only help American farmers.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
We had a short time to kill midday in the Capital today and were hungry. We stopped at Johnny Rockets because, honestly, it was the first eating place on the road in horrible stopped traffic.

Hadn't eaten in such a joint in the DR for a loooooong time, but have fond memories of JR in FL.

Nice. Well designed and executed. Spotless. Friendly, smiling, efficient staff.

We walked in to a 16-person unison of "HELLO!!!"

The place was packed. One table must have had 20 people from a local office or something. 20 people laughing and fingering smartphones in unison.

Got seated, looked at the menu and ordered from our very nice, perky, attentive waitress. Ordered a bacon cheeseburger, a Philly Cheesesteak, fries and a chocolate malt. The food was delivered very quickly, desert shake first.

All EXCELLENT. I mean, as good as it gets. Especially the malt. Yummm Meee!

We got a line-dancing floor show to Aretha Franklin's "Respect." R-E-S-P-E-C-T. I was looking for Jake and Elwood. I forgot for a moment I was in the Dominican Republic.

It was a bit pricy, however: about RD$1000.

Not sayin' I'll go back soon because we rarely eat like that. But if the same conditions present themselves I'd go back in a heartbeat..of which I may have fewer in inventory after those delectable gutbombs...:cheeky:

Worth a try if you like that kind of thing...

I don't recall ever eating JR in the US but have been to the SDQ one maybe 5 times. The only other JR I have eaten at was at the airport in Cancun. As far as brugers go it aint bad. The shakes are great. My fiance and all dominicans I have taken there LOVE it.

We have to realize it is different for dominicans. They have eaten la bandera a bazillion times. A 50s style US food joint with good service? Sign them up!

As far as pricing, I didn't find it that expensive. Plus I will gladly pay extra for actual customer service and not having to get up and find the waitress if I want another drink etc.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Supermercado National has USA imported bacon most of the time. Some brands you will recognize, some "Not-So-Much"!
When it goes on sale, I buy several pounds if it's a Known, to me at least, brand. If it's a private label, I buy 1 pound, try it, then buy more.
As a connoisseur with a refined. exquisite, sophisticated palate for bacon-I can identify the last meal of a Sus domesticus by smell alone:laugh:-the best bacon I've had here, ranking right up there with any bacon any where, is the bulk bacon at La Sirena. It's lightly smoked, not at all salty, and you can have them slice it to whatever thickness you want. Seriously, great bacon!

And I'm a southren boy. We know bacon. And sausage (5lbs. of Jimmy Dean arriving tonight!). We do like our pigs...

CC said:
Same goes for "Hot Dogs".
I saw some foot long beef hot dogs at Price Smart. If I could find foot-long buns, I'd have bought some.

CC said:
Dominican bacon, and hot dogs are not very good.
Yes, packaged bacon. Waaaaaay too much salt curing. And standard hot dogs are just bland.

To me you have to pile a lot of condiments on a hot dog to make them taste good, mustard, ketchup, cole slaw, chili, relish, cheese, etc. A hot dog alone, even the finest from NY & Chicago, are just blah by themselves. Unlike a hamburger. But, per usual, opinions vary...

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
That's what I do CB. I put so many condiments on my hot dogs that sometimes I think I may not need the hot dog.