Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnny Rockets in StoDgo

We had a short time to kill midday in the Capital today and were hungry. We stopped at Johnny Rockets because, honestly, it was the first eating place on the road in horrible stopped traffic.

Hadn't eaten in such a joint in the DR for a loooooong time, but have fond memories of JR in FL.

Nice. Well designed and executed. Spotless. Friendly, smiling, efficient staff.

We walked in to a 16-person unison of "HELLO!!!"

The place was packed. One table must have had 20 people from a local office or something. 20 people laughing and fingering smartphones in unison.

Got seated, looked at the menu and ordered from our very nice, perky, attentive waitress. Ordered a bacon cheeseburger, a Philly Cheesesteak, fries and a chocolate malt. The food was delivered very quickly, desert shake first.

All EXCELLENT. I mean, as good as it gets. Especially the malt. Yummm Meee!

We got a line-dancing floor show to Aretha Franklin's "Respect." R-E-S-P-E-C-T. I was looking for Jake and Elwood. I forgot for a moment I was in the Dominican Republic.

It was a bit pricy, however: about RD$1000.

Not sayin' I'll go back soon because we rarely eat like that. But if the same conditions present themselves I'd go back in a heartbeat..of which I may have fewer in inventory after those delectable gutbombs...

Worth a try if you like that kind of thing...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Ate there a few days ago and agree that the food is good. Really crowded though but it is rather new so lets see how long the crowds last. Been to Johnny Rockets in the USA and this is somewhat comparable. A bit greasy for me but good. For me it was better than Friday's but that is my opinion.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing how good it feels to get GREAT customer service in the DR isn't it? I am not bashing - just saying. I have been to that Johnny Rockets with a local and we both left raving about the service. And of course I like the food too.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Everytime I go to the capital I have such a hard time choosing where to eat, so many places available that I miss from the US, I remember HATING this place when I lived in Florida but I know if I ate it now I would just love it, I guess if you give something a long enough break it becomes appealing again.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommendation! My partner and I are traveling to the Capital to next week to pick up our cedulas. I had suggested we eat at the new Johnny Rockets but he wasn't as eager. I'll make sure he reads your review. When I lived and worked in DC (Georgetown) I used to frequent the JR's on M street. Needless to say I was about 25 pounds heavier...LOL.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I still can't figure out what all the Hoop-la is about Johnny Rockets in Santo Domingo. Ended up in there today, I guess just to say "Been there, done that" as it sure wasn't what I set out to do. The milkshakes are very good and the rest of the food is mediocre at the best. One hamburger, one cheesy fries with bacon bits, and two milkshakes set me back $1200 pesos. I can think of quite a few things I could have feasted on for less. Just my two pesos, I doubt I will be returning.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do, MacDonalds,Burger King, Subway,Krappy Kreem",Baskin Robbins,The Colonel,Nathan's, Johnny Rockets,Tony Roma's, Friday's,Taco Bell, or ANY other American Fast Food Restaurant in the DR!!!
    Not because I don't like their food,I do, I just won't pay "Double", or MORE, than I would in the USA for the same thing!
    The only exception I do make, is Pizza Hut.
    I like a pizza made with cheese from cows, not in the plastic factories of Sosua.
    Besides, on Tue. & Wed. they have "Two, for the price of one!"
    AND, I can make anything at home, better, cheaper,and fresher than they can.
    Right now I am making boneless pork ribs.
    For breakfast, it was a "Fritata" with last night's "Espagetti Carbonara" with more cheese added.
    YES!, I DID make a "New Year's Resolution", Maybe NEXT YEAR!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

8. Likes keepcoming, DavidZ liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

CC I want to come to your house..That breakfast sounds sooooo good...Yes I broke my New Year's Resolution at 12:05 am just like every year. Oh well guess I am consistent.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

It WAS a great breakfast!!
    And "Lunch", while I wait for those "Ribs"!
    My mother-in-law used a whole pound of "Smithfield" smoked bacon (Cheaper than Dominican razor thin sliced Pig Meat) in the "Espagetti Carbonara".
    And I bought Italian Durham wheat semolina pasta.
    100 pesos well spent!
    No Dominican "Mush" for us!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    "GO PATS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Where'd you get Smithfield bacon for cheaper than dominican bacon? dominican bacon is too hit and miss. sometimes its as good as american bacon but other times it stinks from the moment you open it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast