Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guys help pleaseeee!

Hi Everyone. Ok so here's where I am at. Like I said before I am planning on moving to the DR full time and have now set a definitive date in December. I am going to be going there in November to find a house but MOST IMPORTANTLY find a School for my daughters to go to. NONE of any of the school's websites I have seen post their tuition. Before I even visit there I need to know numbers :-) because I am going to be living there on a budget I have set. I sent numerous emails to multiple schools and got 1 reply :-( so I started calling the schools instead and they said they would email me the tuition and only one school did which was way too much money. I have budgeted to pay around $300.00 a month for each child and English is their native language and they only speak about 20-30% spanish on a good day and CANNOT read or write it so I wanted to put them in a bilingual school. Most of the tuition fees I found for schools on this site are from dialouge 4 and 5 years ago and I would really appreciate you guys help with this PLEASE :-)

I am looking at schools in Santo Domingo and Santiago as I will be looking at living in either place.

Can someone PLEASSSEEE give me names of Bilingual schools in either city that cost around my budget of $300.00 a month. Oh yeah their ages are 8 and 13 and will be in 3rd and 8th grade. Thanks so much

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

At those ages, I think that a "GOOD" Dominican language school would be "OK".
    That way, they will learn a new language in a few short months!
    THEY can handle it, if YOU can!
    My girls, 8 & 10 go to "Colegio Arroyo Hondo". It's located on "Camino Chiquito", in Arroyo Hondo Santo Domingo.
    Tuition is only 5,000 pesos a month,each.
    Books, uniforms, field trips, and supplies,lunches, are all on top of that.
    We only live about 5 to 10 minutes from the school.
    My wife takes them,and picks them up.
    Also goes "Back & Forth" a few more times for "Extra Curricular" activities.
    The "Total Immersion" of a "Spanish Language" school will be an unbelievably POSITIVE, "Once-In-A-Lifetime" opportunity for your daughters.
    Take IT!
    If you are coming, REMEMBER, It will probably be costing you between 50, and 100% more than you think it will.
    This is a great place to live, IF, you have the money necessary to live well.
    What are you going to be doing to support your family?
    How much is your monthly "Budget"?
    Where in SD, or Santiago do you plan to live.
    That makes a huge difference.
    Both in your costs, AND the quality of your lives.
    Those of us who have lived here for several years, and work, and are raising families here can advise you on our "Costs-Of-Living"!
    What you THINK it will be needed to live here, MAY not be valid!
    "Good Luck"!
    Ther are a "TON" of after school activities right at the school,some are "Free" some cost about 1,000 pesos a month.
    They take, guitar lessons, chorus,Track,(Running) & Thai Kwon Do. The 10 year old also takes Ballet two days a week in a "Dance Studio" near our house, 1,100 pesos a month for that.
    Cris Colon
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    ps, That last paragraph belongs with the "School" info, not at the end.

3. Likes bob saunders, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

List of schools in the Dominican Republic
    Why don't you phone the schools and ask? At Saint Georges in Santo Domingo they speak English as well as Spanish. When my wife's cousins went to school there it was about 6000 per month and that was several years ago. They are functional in English , almost fluent after about 3 years. Another relative works in IT at New Horizons school and says it is an impressive school with smart boards....etc.

5. Likes CaptnGlenn, waytogo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are two that come to mind:
    1) If you follow CCCCCC's advice and put them in total immersion Spanish language schools (not the worst thing, really!) I would suggest any of Santiago's better "colegios": La Salle, Sagrado Corazon, DaVinci or Juan XXIII. All somewhere in the area of 5000-6000 a month, plus, just as described by CCCCCCC...
    2) If you insist on English language, just one comes to mind: St. David School, run by a Welshwoman with great credentials. And it is within your budget (with the same "plus" as the other schools, of course)

HB
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 10-20-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Moderator DR1.com

7. Likes Criss Colon, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

US$300 per child per month puts the decent bilingual schools out of range, certainly those mentioned in Bob's post, so I'd choose one of the good Spanish schools. Our son spent one year at the Centro Pedagogico Infantil Montessori in Los Restauradores (Santo Domingo) and he (and we) were reasonably happy with the experience.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    There are two that come to mind:
    1) If you follow CCCCCC's advice and put them in total immersion Spanish language schools (not the worst thing, really!) I would suggest any of Santiago's better "colegios": La Salle, Sagrado Corazon, DaVince or Juan XXIII. All somewhere in the area of 5000-6000 a month, plus, just as described by CCCCCCC...
    2) If you insist on English language, just one comes to mind: St. David School, run by a Welshwoman with great credentials. And it is within your budget (with the same "plus" as the other schools, of course)

HB
    HB, St Dadid is in Santiago right? Do you know the tuition for this school?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    At those ages, I think that a "GOOD" Dominican language school would be "OK".
    That way, they will learn a new language in a few short months!
    THEY can handle it, if YOU can!
    My girls, 8 & 10 go to "Colegio Arroyo Hondo". It's located on "Camino Chiquito", in Arroyo Hondo Santo Domingo.
    Tuition is only 5,000 pesos a month,each.
    Books, uniforms, field trips, and supplies,lunches, are all on top of that.
    We only live about 5 to 10 minutes from the school.
    My wife takes them,and picks them up.
    Also goes "Back & Forth" a few more times for "Extra Curricular" activities.
    The "Total Immersion" of a "Spanish Language" school will be an unbelievably POSITIVE, "Once-In-A-Lifetime" opportunity for your daughters.
    Take IT!
    If you are coming, REMEMBER, It will probably be costing you between 50, and 100% more than you think it will.
    This is a great place to live, IF, you have the money necessary to live well.
    What are you going to be doing to support your family?
    How much is your monthly "Budget"?
    Where in SD, or Santiago do you plan to live.
    That makes a huge difference.
    Both in your costs, AND the quality of your lives.
    Those of us who have lived here for several years, and work, and are raising families here can advise you on our "Costs-Of-Living"!
    What you THINK it will be needed to live here, MAY not be valid!
    "Good Luck"!
    Ther are a "TON" of after school activities right at the school,some are "Free" some cost about 1,000 pesos a month.
    They take, guitar lessons, chorus,Track,(Running) & Thai Kwon Do. The 10 year old also takes Ballet two days a week in a "Dance Studio" near our house, 1,100 pesos a month for that.
    Cris Colon
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    ps, That last paragraph belongs with the "School" info, not at the end.
    CCCCCCCCCCC. I just PMed you can you let me know what you think. Thanks

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"DONE!"
    cc

Post Thanks / Like

St. David is about RD$10000 a month. Totally English with a mix of Native and non-Native speakers. They work the kids hard.

Yes, in Santiago, out by Don Pedro

HB

Moderator DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    US$300 per child per month puts the decent bilingual schools out of range, certainly those mentioned in Bob's post, so I'd choose one of the good Spanish schools. Our son spent one year at the Centro Pedagogico Infantil Montessori in Los Restauradores (Santo Domingo) and he (and we) were reasonably happy with the experience.
    I think RD$12,000 gives access to many decent bilingual schools, just not the top 3 or top 5 of the ccountry (anyway, I wouldn't want my children to be educated in an elitist environment).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast