Housekeeper And Driver

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Would like to know the average monthly or bi weekly wage I should pay a housekeeper who will work for me 6 days a week, 7-5 Monday thru Fridays and 9-5 on Saturdays. Initially I will also hire a driver to take me and my family around and will need him daily between 7am-10pm.

A little history on the housekeeper. She is currently our housekeeper here in the Turks and Caicos and works less hours than I stated above. She is Dominican and speaks pretty good English. She has worked for us over a year now and it has been ok.

We told her we were moving to the DR and my fiancee feels very comfortable with her as well as the fact that she is good with the girls so we asked her to come with us to the DR. She happily accepted the offer. Now my dilemma is how much do I pay her. Currently we pay her about $1200US a month and one of the reasons I want to move to the DR is I am hoping my cost of living will be a lot cheaper.

I believe she said she was from an area called Las Americas in Santo Domingo and loved the idea because she has been living here in the Turks and Caicos for over 4 years now and has not seen her kids in the DR.

I told her we would need a driver for at least a few months until I got more comfortable with the place and she said she had family members who could help with that. I will be in and out of the country for about a week or so each month initially to my business in the Turks and Caicos and the housekeeper will have to go everywhere with my Fiancee who is English Canadian to translate.

So what is considered a fair bi-weekly/monthly salary for both the Driver and the Housekeeper?
Thanks

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, of course knowing and having confidence in you housekeeper is important but if you paid her $400 dollars a month she would be one of if not the top paid housekeepers in Santiago by a factor of two. Your having invited her already really makes it difficult to lower her wages. Lowering would set the stage for major problems. Also the adding of her family members is adding to the potential for more problems. You cannot buy loyalty or gratitude there is always resentment. Drivers who do not speak English are about 150 dollars a month but the hours you want are extraordinarily long. You have to decide what is best for you and your family. Be very careful.There are many other posters here who are better informed than me so listen to their advice. There are however a lot of good people here so best of luck.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
At $1200 a month, your housekeeper is earning more than bank tellers, accountants, managers, professionals of many types!!
That is now close to 50000 pesos and THAT is a major salary here. Top 5% for sure.

Leave her there.

A Dominican cook/housekeeper can cost up to maybe 8000 in Santiago, after a trial period at a little over 6000.

All housekeeper/cooks are by word of mouth. The good ones last forever. One of ours has been with us for over 40 years.

When you come here, talk to some people and see what is what. For example, SKing went through four or five before she found her "gem"....Talk to La Teacher also, she knows another part of town. (Yeah, I'll talk to you too)

As for a driver, you can do well enough with taxis for the most part, until you decide on what, where and when you will be here. It costs less than $4.oo to go anywhere in town (within reason)...other fares are set by the company but can often be "negotiated""...To the airport is about RD$500 give or takes a tip.

And remember, for family trips, we have the Concierge Driver here on DR1...

A driver, unlike a domestic, is entitled to a whole series of complicated taxes and benefits that the domestic does not get, beyond the binds that develop over the years. So be very careful of that. You could be looking at a major expense otherwise.
Let the taxis do the driving.

Above all, go slow and get the ducks in line first.
Explore and talk to people.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Bring HER!!!
She is used to that $1,200 every month.
She most likely sends some back here.
She will want that same money here to pass on.
And, you will,by default, be responsible for her, and her families "Problemas".
You MUST listen to "HB" on this matter, and most other DR matters as well.
There will be plenty of DR1ers who can give you the names of good housekeepers and some "drivers" to call,"When" you need them,without paying for 24/7 service.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
As The "ENGLISH" say:
"Don't Carry Coals To Newcastle!"

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Guys what if I told you she agreed to a price of $15,000RD per month would you say I am getting robbed?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
One of the reasons she is willing to come back with you is because she assumes you are going to pay her the same salary (maybe even higher). Remember if she comes back as you stated she has children that will clearly look to her for financial support. If you are planning to pay her less then be very clear about that and don't be surprised if she decides not to return with you. I am sure on of the reasons she left DR was to find a better paying job. As for a driver I honestly would NOT involve her family in that especially if you don't know the background on them. Listen to the advice others are giving, it is tried and true.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Just remember that the DR is her country not yours so tread carefully and be 100% sure you want to do this. Agreeing to $15,000.000 is a huge difference in what she is use to making so I would wonder about her "intentions". Maybe she thinks with what you would pay her and if you use a "family member" for a driver it would financially work for her.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
15,000 pesos a month is about double the going rate. If you insist on employing her I would at least have a lawyer draw up a contract with specifics. There are a lot of new laws and requirements for domestic help.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Guys what if I told you she agreed to a price of $15,000RD per month would you say I am getting robbed?

If we use 25 working days for the month - you're at 600/day.

In my part of RD thats a generous wage - not outrageous, just good.

my main man gets about that.

Contrary to some others, I think bringing her is a good idea - family continuity for you, better life for her as far her family.
(I can hear the typing already)

That 'main man' that I mentioned does not like any strangers or newcomers on the property.
For extra staff, he goesback to his family - to build a wall, etc - work that needs more than he can do.
We agree on who/how much ahead of time..... everybody's happy.

One brother is fantastic w/ stonework, one sister is a chef..... the beat goes on.

Follow your instincts, the comments here know nothing about you, the maid or the circumstances.
Hopefully, I've been objective.

Using a another family member as a driver ... I'm OK w/ that too
(

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Adding to my post....

In 5 yrs, we have had no untrusions..... I credit a cretain amount of continuity - low turnover - with that.

Loyalty,
My mother just died, leaving me to deal w/ her housekeeper of 41 years.
As my mother always said "A credit to both of us!!"

Our Dominicana sneezes at that 41 years saying that she will beat that record..... so far she has about 4 yrs under her generous belt........... time will tell.... could be a long road for all of us:knockedou

Dec 26, 2011
If you trust your instincts about people and you feel she's good people after over a year of association, why question it? She gets to be home with the security of a job from someone she also trusts. It sounds like a win-win. Make it clear that you'll interview her recommendations for the driver position as you would anyone else. Good luck.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"TURK",."No GOOD DEED Goes UNPUNISHED!
"WW", I am glad you have, and continue to have, great experiences with you help.
I do not think that your story is in the majority here.
I also think that paying ANYONE double the correct salary for their position is a huge mistake.
When do you give a "Raise" if they are already making double?
Do you know you must give double salary in December?
I start low, and give a raise every six months, if earned.
They then SEE the benefit of doing good work!
"T", what she "SAYS" there, and what she "DOES" here will most likely be two different things.
I see almost zero "upside" to having her come here, and lots of "Down Side"!
I know you will make the right choice, IF, you decide with your "HEAD", and not with your "Heart"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"TURK",."No GOOD DEED Goes UNPUNISHED!
"WW", I am glad you have, and continue to have, great experiences with you help.
I do not think that your story is in the majority here.

Sorry, Iknow I messed up the delete.

CCCCCCCCC.
It may, or may not, surprise you when I tell you that those staff successes are not limited to this country.

Without sounding boastful, that type of success seems to have followed me around for some time now - in both both personal staff and commercial staff situations...... much like other people's lack thereof seems to follow them.

Don't ask me how or why, just see it and believe it.

As an older , wiser friend of mine once opined.

Billy, don't get personal or stubborn or stuck in your ways....
If the job calls for a striped ass monkey, get out the Yellow Pages and start looking.

That man was one who selected Peter Uberoth for Baseball Commissioner, and fired Peter Bavasi from the Blue Jays... a couple of his many accomplishments.

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
At $1200 a month, your housekeeper is earning more than bank tellers, accountants, managers, professionals of many types!!
That is now close to 50000 pesos and THAT is a major salary here. Top 5% for sure.
This!

I'd say $500 per month is more than generous

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
So, how much "should" one pay for someone for help that will come 5 days per week, M-F, say 9am to 4pm? Their duties will include:
Cleaning - (sweeping, mopping, washing dishes, cleaning bathrooms, etc)
Cooking - (Is it too much to ask? Cleaning + cooking is a standard?)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
This!

I'd say $500 per month is more than generous
$500 is too much. We are following very strict rule in our "free zone" and workers gets paid a lot compare to others and the salary here is averaging around $11000-$13000RD per months and that's after all the incentives and bonuses we give them. I would listen to what old timers say and start with low and give them for raise for good job but don't over do them.

And don't forget to put away money for unexpected "event" that you might get sued. I don't want to sound too negative but these people love to sue. Any given months we went through 5-8 cases that we mostly won but some didn't. And I don't think there's another country beside US that has these many (TOLL)FREE-LAWYERS promising big pay out. So watch your back when you are hiring and firing.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have never heard of any house keeper , muchacha receiving anything like that amount ,,I would be certain that if you offered 10,000 pesos a month with the extra christmas bonus and health insurance you would have been swamped wit applications