It's a good time for avocados..

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Anyone else notice the better quality avocados this month? I've even gotten some fibrous *good thing* avocados that reminded me of Peruvian paltas.. much creamier and nuttier tasting than before. I don't understand why it's so difficult for them to mass produce aguacate criollo from Jarabacoa/Constanza since those avocados are 100X better than the crappy hass avocados from Mexi/Cali, just nearly impossible to find unless you have your own tree or a connection who sells their own.

Disclaimer: 99% of people on this site have never had a true aguacate criollo, so please avoid comparing the watery injertas to the best avocado available on planet Earth :).. If anyone has a source for these beauties, send me a PM :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You are descibing MY avocados to an "A"!
They are "CREAMY", any like butter.
I'll save a "seedling" for you.
Just have to wait about 8 years to taste one.
After 8 years, I only got two the first year.
AND, I know, I know, but I caught a guy trying to steal one of them!
This year was a good year!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
You are descibing MY avocados to an "A"!
They are "CREAMY", any like butter.
I'll save a "seedling" for you.
Just have to wait about 8 years to taste one.
After 8 years, I only got two the first year.
AND, I know, I know, but I caught a guy trying to steal one of them!
This year was a good year!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yup, you are one of the lucky few with a criollo tree.. It is biannual right? Gives a ton of avocados one year and very few the next?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yup, you are one of the lucky few with a criollo tree.. It is biannual right? Gives a ton of avocados one year and very few the next?

How do you identity a criollo tree. I don't have a tree but I do have a branch with many avocados this year (neighbors tree)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
There are really quite a few varieties of criollos I think, the ones I know have bumpier and less shiny skin than the injertas. The easiest way to tell a criollo is the lack of water inside of the avocado, it is just straight creamy, no watery taste. The good avocados are never exported either I think maybe because of shelf life.. or actually , it might be that they need to mature on the tree, I've taken them off super underripe and they don't ripen off the tree properly.

Jan 5, 2006
The best "criollo" avocados are the variety that has a long neck and purple skin as it ripens. The pulp is a very smooth, creamy consistency... think of a soft European cheese. These are highly sought after, and very hard to find.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My father who lives in SD has an avocado tree in his backyard.It yields big,purple skin avocados when
ripen.The flesh is so creamy,not watery,it has a buttery texture,almost like a nutty flavor.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
So these would be...?

79035C47-C911-4EDE-BA23-AB77D7D1E65C-4521-000003CA22360B3F_zps02390476.jpg

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Make a "boat" by cutting in half - and removing pit. Stuff with mi esposo's world famous chicken salad. Or if you can get the ham salad from Belgian Bakery in Cab. A meal in itself - to die for.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Avocados is one of my favorite foods! They make living in DR are true pleasure. In the states they are expensive and not nearly as yummy?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"My Tree", here is SD, is now about 50 feet tall.
The avocados are soooo huge, almost "cantalope" size, and over a pound,that I fear someone could be killed if on fell from the top branches, onto their head!
That said, It's WORTH The RISK!
My father-in-law just came in with 3 more "beauties"!
The ones that are too high to pick with our looooooooooong pole with "fingers" just fall when they are ripe.
They sometimes split, but I don't love them for their beauty!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Got two of those trees in our yard. One very big one, and a small one. The small one hangs over our fence in an empty field. Each time they get stolen...

And what is the recipe for the worldfamous chicken salad?

BelgianK

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Make a "boat" by cutting in half - and removing pit. Stuff with mi esposo's world famous chicken salad. Or if you can get the ham salad from Belgian Bakery in Cab. A meal in itself - to die for.

Can you share your spouse's world famous chicken salad with the rest of us?:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Belgian", .Dominican "LAW" is that if it "Hangs Outside" your yard, anyone can "borrow" it!!!!
I get LOTS of nice avocados that way!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
"Belgian", .Dominican "LAW" is that if it "Hangs Outside" your yard, anyone can "borrow" it!!!!
I get LOTS of nice avocados that way!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
That's the only way I'm getting some....it's the first dominican law that makes sense to me...