Non Bilingual All spanish Schools in SDO or STO

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Ok I have made up my mind to send my girls to all Spanish schools after much consideration. Now I need you guys to give me the names of very good schools of the sort. I am going to be there in early November and will visit both Santiago and Santo Domingo to choose a school and a home and to decide which city works better for us as a family.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My niece goes to Colegio Santo Domingo and I have been there a few times. Seems like a good school. They have a website you can look at.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you read my posts above, you know the names of the four schools (and I could add Sagrado Corazon to the list) in Santiago.
When you arrive, give me a call and perhaps we can visit them together. Let's say I am fairly well known there?

It is a shame that Colegio Las Americas is no longer here. It would have been perfect.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Santo Domingo

I know I already sent you a PM but for general info:
Lux Mundi (Piantini)
Babeque (Primary in Gazcue, Secondary in Naco)
Several Montessoris across the city including the neighbourhoods of La Julieta, Evaristo Morales, Gazcue, Los Restauradores, they vary in price and quality though
Luis Mu?oz Rivera (Naco)

Many Catholic schools including La Salle, Calasanz, Loyola, Claret

Evangelical Schools - Genesis - Bella Vista, Miel - Mirador Sur, one (can't remember name) on Gustavo Mejia Ricart near Lux Mundi

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
What would I do without my DR1 family! You guys are always soooo helpful. This is definitely going to make this transition more smooth for my family :)

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Ok I have made up my mind to send my girls to all Spanish schools after much consideration. Now I need you guys to give me the names of very good schools of the sort. I am going to be there in early November and will visit both Santiago and Santo Domingo to choose a school and a home and to decide which city works better for us as a family.
It is still unclear to me if you have understood/considered the "mid year" problem...That is, the fact that around December, which seems to be your intended move-in date, the school year is about mid way in the DR. Would that be the intended entering time for your kids in the schools you are searching?

Without being an expert, I suspect that at least SOME good colegios will be reluctant to take kids in the middle of the school year, even without the language issue...It may also be disruptive to the class -- especially with a language problem --, since the kids may start significantly behind the others...And of course, even if they did take them, it may be quite hard for the kids. See my other post on this on your first thread.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Kids can do almost anything!
Challange them!
My girls went to a small school here in Arroyo Hondo for 4 and 3 years.
They transferred to "Colegio Arroyo Hondo" at 2nd., and 3rd. grade.
Now they have friends from BOTH schools!
Just a reminder, schools here are on Christmas Vacation from about the 20th. of Dec. to 6th. of Jan.
I transferred many times in my school career, and just look how great I turned out!
EXCEPT, for "Grammer, pundtuation, and speilin!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As a father of three girls here in Santiago I would move here first and let the kids acclimate and get a Spanish tutor in the interim until classes start in the fall.

I will also say if looking for work is not an issue or having all the big city amenities that Santiago is superior to Santo Domingo. Best of luck.!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"BAD IDEA"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my "HUMBLE" opinion!
School children lose part of what they have just spent 9 months learning during their short summer break.
Being out of school for nine months until the end of August would be a dis-service to them.
They will be speaking Spanish, and having many new friends here by March, IF they start in January!
Having a "Tutor", is nowhere nearly as interesting,fun, or fast, as learning from kids their own age.
"You'll SEE!

CC

Last edited:

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
It is still unclear to me if you have understood/considered the "mid year" problem...That is, the fact that around December, which seems to be your intended move-in date, the school year is about mid way in the DR. Would that be the intended entering time for your kids in the schools you are searching?

Without being an expert, I suspect that at least SOME good colegios will be reluctant to take kids in the middle of the school year, even without the language issue...It may also be disruptive to the class -- especially with a language problem --, since the kids may start significantly behind the others...And of course, even if they did take them, it may be quite hard for the kids. See my other post on this on your first thread.

I see and can appreciate your point buddy, but I am not prepared to stay where I am any longer and this is primarily for the benefit of my kids. The schools here are horrible and the kids are even worst. It seems as if every local on this island hates or can't stand white people or any other ethnicity other than themselves and it's disgusting. My father is a black Turks Islander and my mother is Half Scottish Half Honduran so I have all the races in my family and love and respect any type of ethnicity. I grew up mostly between the States and Canada. My fiancees mom is white canadian and her father is black turks islander so same there as well. She has also lived in Canada all her life until these last four years. I judge people based on their character not their race. The teachers here can barely read and write themselves and my daughter told me the other day she was making fun of one of the heavier kids in the class!! I have stayed here this long because of my business and through the power of technology I have found a way to still have my company and operate from anywhere in the world I want. I chose the DR because it is only 40mins away from my company here in Turks and there is wayyy more to do there than there is here. The cost of living is also drastically cheaper in the DR in comparison.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I see and can appreciate your point buddy, but I am not prepared to stay where I am any longer and this is primarily for the benefit of my kids. The schools here are horrible and the kids are even worst. It seems as if every local on this island hates or can't stand white people or any other ethnicity other than themselves and it's disgusting. My father is a black Turks Islander and my mother is Half Scottish Half Honduran so I have all the races in my family and love and respect any type of ethnicity. I grew up mostly between the States and Canada. My fiancees mom is white canadian and her father is black turks islander so same there as well. She has also lived in Canada all her life until these last four years. I judge people based on their character not their race. The teachers here can barely read and write themselves and my daughter told me the other day she was making fun of one of the heavier kids in the class!! I have stayed here this long because of my business and through the power of technology I have found a way to still have my company and operate from anywhere in the world I want. I chose the DR because it is only 40mins away from my company here in Turks and there is wayyy more to do there than there is here. The cost of living is also drastically cheaper in the DR in comparison.

If raising your children is of primary concern, Santiago is much better than the capital. Best of luck.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
I see and can appreciate your point buddy, but I am not prepared to stay where I am any longer and this is primarily for the benefit of my kids. The schools here are horrible ...
Yeah, I see your motivation...but remember that you still need the school to agree to take the kids mid year...I am o expert on mid-year admissions, but I foresee difficulties getting the BETTER schools to go along with that (even if you and the kids want).

When talking to schools make sure they fully and clearly understand you want admission for January (I suppose December wouldn't really make sense because of the Christmas recess).

I think the idea of a private tutor for a mid-year "bridge" to get them ready for the Fall season has significant appeal, and deserve full consideration...particularly, if you feel the schools they are in now aren't very strong, which means the kids may be academically behind anyway aside from the language issue....The tutor again could address that part.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
If raising your children is of primary concern, Santiago is much better than the capital. Best of luck.
I suspect the availability of good air connections to the islands will be critical, since it seems he will need to visit frequently...No sure if STI can provide such connections frequently enough...Of course he could travel from SDQ even living in STI, but that would add at least a few hours to his total journey, each way.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
I suspect the availability of good air connections to the islands will be critical, since it seems he will need to visit frequently...No sure if STI can provide such connections frequently enough...Of course he could travel from SDQ even living in STI, but that would add at least a few hours to his total journey, each way.

I am trying to find every reason not to pick Santiago because I for some reason think I will grow tired of certain things because of it's size in comparison to SDQ. I am still freaking out that they have a Johnny Rockets in SDQ. They don't have Johnny Rockets in many US cities!! See I like that! I like to have LOTS of options. I feel that being in Santiago won't give me that for some reason but maybe I'm wrong.

Well Dominicaus here's another reason other than soooo many people telling me choose STI. The only flights between here and Turks are either Puerto Plata or STI! All the arrows keep pointing in one direction and I am slowly feeling like my desire to live in Santo Domingo is fading...... :(

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you don't have to be in Santo Domingo, why live there??? Does the availability of a plastic fast food restaurant make it worth living with noise, stress, traffic, crime and pollution? The capital has its plusses but still!

I'd have said come to Punta Cana which is lovely, peaceful, safe and clean and has several good schools - but then I saw the detail about flight connections to Turks and Caicos. Santiago or maybe Puerto Plata would be your better bets.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005

LOL! Ok maybe I should not have used the US as an example, you guys definitely have the fast food market hands down! But in a Country as huge as Canada and as advanced as it is they only have Johnny rockets in Ontario (One Province) and a little Island like DR has a Johnny Rockets and an Office Depot! Freaking Office Depot LOL that's unheard of in the Caribbean

Johnny Rockets in Canada Locations & Store Hours

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well, it is not like the country is so big that you have to live in the same city your eventual light departs from. SD is about 1 hour from STI, PC is about 2 hours from SD, LT is about 2 hours from SDQ and 1 hour from POP. A 2 hour drive once in a while is not going to stop me from living in the city I want to live in. Hell, in some big cities it takes the same time to get to the airport within the same city.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Some people Love New York City, some Hate New Your City!
There is no accounting for "Taste"!
I like to be near the ocean.
Santo Domingo is a very large, and deversified city.
You can find "Barrios Super Calientes", and Exclusive Residential Neighborhoods.
If you have "Dinero" SD offers more "Choices"!
Besides, I live in SD!
"'Nuf Said?????"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC