Why So Many Movie Theaters?

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
As a movie addict, I was quite excited when two new cinemas opened this month. One just opened at the Agora Mall and the other across the street called Galeria 360. You'd think I'd be happy but I'm more confused. These theaters play the same movies. Why would they open two expensive theaters next to each other and play the same movies? It's kind of like Blue Mall and the Acropolis cinema being so close. I went to the Galeria 360 and it was empty. Earlier in the week I went to Cinema Centro on the Malecon and it was packed. Of course they were only charging 50 pesos that night. You can't beat that.

If they are going to have so many screens here I wish they could get more films. For example ARGO is playing very well in the states. It would be nice if it could play here but isn't scheduled until the end of November. I suppose the cinemas don't have control over release dates, but how are they going to survive. I don't think there is enough demand, especially if they all play the same movies.

MauricioFab32

Jun 10, 2004
Competition can help you understand.

As a movie addict, I was quite excited when two new cinemas opened this month. One just opened at the Agora Mall and the other across the street called Galeria 360. You'd think I'd be happy but I'm more confused. These theaters play the same movies. Why would they open two expensive theaters next to each other and play the same movies? It's kind of like Blue Mall and the Acropolis cinema being so close. I went to the Galeria 360 and it was empty. Earlier in the week I went to Cinema Centro on the Malecon and it was packed. Of course they were only charging 50 pesos that night. You can't beat that.

If they are going to have so many screens here I wish they could get more films. For example ARGO is playing very well in the states. It would be nice if it could play here but isn't scheduled until the end of November. I suppose the cinemas don't have control over release dates, but how are they going to survive. I don't think there is enough demand, especially if they all play the same movies.

You are certainly in the right. There are soo many, especially in the capital with same or little difference in titles. I think this may be due to the current situation. There are 2 main movie exhibitor's here: Carribean Cinema and Palacio del Cine. For example: Agora has Palacio and 360 CC. Acropolis is CC and Blue mall Palacio.

There are other options in Santo Domingo: Fine Arts in Novo Centro (Carribbean Cinemas) you can see independent films, foreign and others. Rincon del CIne in la Zona Colonial you can see classics.

This can help too: Cine :.

See you at the movies!

:0)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are some serious tax credits-not deductions, but credits-for new theaters. They don't have to make $$$ because they already have the moment they open.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The money theaters charge for tickets is the icing on the cake for theater owners. The real money for them is in selling advertising.

Just like you see Claro, Orange, Coca Cola, Pepsi, etc, etc stores and advertisements all over the place, you see them in theaters too.

It also costs a lot more to bring one copy of ten movies, than it costs to bring 10 copies of one.
The physical structures get built, in essence, in exchange for income taxes due. An investor can pay tax or build a theater; it's the same pile of $$$.

There is no real estate or construction to amortize. You're right: the rest is gravy.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Is the new president not going to remove those subsidies?
I doubt it. It's a relatively new program and is beginning to bear some fruit.

The subsidies go well beyond movie theaters, it's the whole film industry.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Wait for Lotoman 2.0, and you'll see the lines going out of the mall and around the corner to buy one 500-peso ticket. Why? I guess I'll never know....
There isn't a Dominican film that could have been made without the tax incentives.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I doubt it. It's a relatively new program and is beginning to bear some fruit.

The subsidies go well beyond movie theaters, it's the whole film industry.

But I just read the the local film industry which had been provided with incentives until now and has been so well covered by the photographs of Pichardo's minions is on the cutting block for those very incentives in the presidents new austerity plan. Chop, Chop...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
But I just read the the local film industry which had been provided with incentives until now and has been so well covered by the photographs of Pichardo's minions is on the cutting block for those very incentives in the presidents new austerity plan. Chop, Chop...
Link?

MauricioFab32

Jun 10, 2004
Right now they are doing VERY well. The first lotoman sold about 600,000 tix and go figure, just like in the states the real money is concessiones...popcorn etc. So multiply 600,000 times RD$100 per person in say an average margin per customer buys candy and stuff....They are doing just fine. Thats without facturing in what they make with the distributor/movie producer!

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Do you think it's possible that more movies will get here earlier, like Argo and Flight, since there are so many screens to fill.

Feb 7, 2007

SANTO DOMINGO. Lo dice la propuesta de Reforma Fiscal que tienen los diputados sobre sus mesas, donde se gravan hasta los conconetes.

"ART?CULO 33. Se deroga el art?culo 39 de la Ley para el Fomento de la Actividad Cinematogr?fica, No. 108-10, de fecha 29 de julio de 2010 y sus modificaciones".

El art?culo en cuesti?n reza as? actualmente: "Art?culo 39.- Exenci?n del ITBIS y otros impuestos. Las pel?culas extranjeras producidas en la Rep?blica Dominicana est?n exentas del pago de ITBIS, Impuesto Sobre la Renta y cualquier otra tasa municipal o de cualquier otra naturaleza, en lo referente al rodamiento, equipos de filmaci?n, y en general de la producci?n cinematogr?fica, con excepci?n de lo establecido en el Art?culo 23".

Es decir, que afecta lo relativo al cr?dito fiscal transferible, y todo lo que incentivaba que vinieran productores cinematogr?ficos internacionales a rodar pel?culas aqu?.

Reforma fiscal cerrar?a las puertas a producciones internacionales de cine en RD - DiarioLibre.com

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
SANTO DOMINGO. Lo dice la propuesta de Reforma Fiscal que tienen los diputados sobre sus mesas, donde se gravan hasta los conconetes.

"ART?CULO 33. Se deroga el art?culo 39 de la Ley para el Fomento de la Actividad Cinematogr?fica, No. 108-10, de fecha 29 de julio de 2010 y sus modificaciones".

El art?culo en cuesti?n reza as? actualmente: "Art?culo 39.- Exenci?n del ITBIS y otros impuestos. Las pel?culas extranjeras producidas en la Rep?blica Dominicana est?n exentas del pago de ITBIS, Impuesto Sobre la Renta y cualquier otra tasa municipal o de cualquier otra naturaleza, en lo referente al rodamiento, equipos de filmaci?n, y en general de la producci?n cinematogr?fica, con excepci?n de lo establecido en el Art?culo 23".

Es decir, que afecta lo relativo al cr?dito fiscal transferible, y todo lo que incentivaba que vinieran productores cinematogr?ficos internacionales a rodar pel?culas aqu?.

Reforma fiscal cerrar?a las puertas a producciones internacionales de cine en RD - DiarioLibre.com
Thanks. Very helpful. :classic:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks Rubio for finding that. That is indeed what I saw. I bet the film studios feel like they are in the middle of a bait and switch scam.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I spoke with the DGCINE today, and was informed the suggested fiscal reforms removing the tax credits for the cinema industry have been permanently taken off the table.

Article 39 lives...