auto exhaust mechanic recommendations?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
i have a 2000 honda cr-v that seems to have a partially blocked exhaust.
thoughts are that it's likely the catalytic converter that is causing the problem

anyone have a recommendation of someone in the sosua/cabarete area who's able to remove it?
also, any of you shadetree mechanics out there know if there are any negative effects on the engine/performance if the catalytic converter is removed and replaced with a straight pipe? i believe the oxygen sensor won't be getting info it expects if that is done - but i don't know if that's detrimental. i'm finding contradictory info online regarding just removing the converter... and depending on the mechanic realize i can't necessarily trust what they tell me

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Removing the converter is even a performance mod for some cars, so I don't think it'll hurt performance. You will get an alarm and the car will throw codes, you should even get a warning light on the dash, which in turn will mask any other future alarm you should address. On the other hand, the converters are expensive, so..

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you go to a qualified mechanic after having the cc removed, they should be able to recalibrate the injectors to get you to the optimum performance.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
anyone with suggestions on a mechanic in sosua/cabarete to remove catalytic convertor? :smoke:

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I would go to the car wash in the back of it and ask the owner if he can do it or recommend a place? It's in central SOSUA