Found this beauty in my cleaning cupboard

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
[video=youtube_share;RBk1eRf2bLw]http://youtu.be/RBk1eRf2bLw[/video]

Shortly after this I released it unharmed in my garden.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i always thought they were super cute. i'd keep one as a pet but i think it is unfair on a wild animal to live in captivity. so i pet cats instead :) but i do not kill cacatas. when we had one inside a house once i caught it in a bucket (miesposo did not want to participate) and released outside.
twice we saw one on our street, crossing at night. we stopped, let it pass, even got out of the car to watch. but never hurt.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I hate hate hate spiders, centipedes, millepedes, or anything that crawls and bites.......
Have 2 cats that love love love the above...........to death........lol
Now I never see any kind of creepy crawly nasty multi-legged critters...........ever.........

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my cats did nada to tarantula inside the house. they followed her at a safe distance but nothing more. but the older one kills anything that moves and then places bodies inside our shoes.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Looks like the poor guy broke one of his legs when he fell (3rd one on the left side). I've heard they are rather fragile.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
those buggers often lose a leg or two in fights, accidents and runs up with cats/dogs. does not seem to bother them much as they live happily for years without missing digits.
the one i captured in a bucket was caught safely and gently and then released on the ground level, no damage done.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Do not kill them!

the one i captured in a bucket was caught safely and gently and then released on the ground level, no damage done.

Well done.
These spiders are very beneficial and should not be killed.
Unfortunately Dominicans (percentage unknown) kill them.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominicans (percentage unknown but prolly mucho mucho) are scared of them. hence drastic action. miesposo does not even want to get close to them, he says they jump. :)
i think anything that eats cucarachas is a friend. they also eat mice and other small critters.

we had a cacata living under the driveway too. never bothered us and we never bother her. one day she just left :(

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah, for the most part, we definately disrupt the cycle of nature.
Unfortunately if there is a creature that we either don't like or that could potentially hurt us the goal would be to kill it.

A Dominican would not make the news by taking on a wild animal that wandered into town and releasing it in the wild.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
OMG !!!!!!!! I would be one of those crazy b!tches screaming, jumping on tables, broom in one hand hairspray in the other... f*ck that **** ain't cute - God that just gave me chills just watching that :nervous:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well done.

donP

I opened an upper cabinet one day, and saw one as big as my hand. I slammed the door shut and left the kitchen to look for Mr. AE. He told me to ignore it, that it was good, ate bugs. I didn't open that door for a day, and when I did [verryyyyy slowly] it was gone. Which was almost worse, because then I didn't know where it was :nervous:. I scrubbed everything in that cabinet...ewwww.....

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I've got a better one - while living on the base in Guantanamo Bay many many years ago - settled down for sleep one night in my bunkbed - reached up to turn on the reading lamp and there is this huge torantulla hanging upside down from the bunk above me - I managed to levitate out of the bed without disturbing the beast - grabbed a coffee can and captured with that before sending it swimming in the bay..... gives me the heebee jeebees just thinking about it.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
OMG !!!!!!!! I would be one of those crazy b!tches screaming, jumping on tables, broom in one hand hairspray in the other... f*ck that **** ain't cute - God that just gave me chills just watching that :nervous:

I'm with you,la_barbie,I would've taking a shoe and squashed the hell out of it!:D

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
miesposo does not even want to get close to them, he says they jump. :)

You know they sort of do, right? I "babysat" for a pet cacata once and it scared the **** out of me when I went to fill up its water bowl with a syringe and it pounced at it. They're surprisingly agile little buggers when they feel threatened although they can't jump more than several inches. I stay as far away from them as possible.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We had a BIG ONE under our stove years ago.
My wife "Dominicana", made me take it outside the house.
If you think "Dominicanos" are afraid of tarantulas, just wait till you show them a "Maco",(FROG) or better yet a "Cien Pie"
(centipede).
I have to agree with the "Cien Pie", they will give you a VERY painful bite.
CC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
A Dominican would not make the news by taking on a wild animal that wandered into town and releasing it in the wild.

true enough. a dominican (% N/A) would smack the wildlife with a stick until only wild was left and life was eradicated completely :) but many gringas are the same, i see :)

when you do a safari trip with turistas you have a photo op with with taranatula and a snake. i took a tarantula in my hand but it got spooked by some noise and run on my neck under my hair. my friends shrieked like a banshee. :laugh:
i giggled because she was tickling me.

and yeah, i know they jump. but i also know that generally cacatas are pretty calm and collected. they do not attack for no reason. so i get close enough to see but not so close to make them scared.

and nas, to a gringo/a like me, who grew up with zero exciting animals around, in a neighbourhood of endless apartment blocks a tarantula, or any other wild animal like this, is something unique. this is why we get excited about them and post stories about our encounters. back home i only ever saw huge spiders on tv, accompanies by attenborough's voice :)

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Well done.

donP

Are any of these beneficial spiders poisonous............
I hold human life more precious than a spiders......crush.....smash.....crunch....
Never heard of a human biting a spider...............
But I do know a few posters that are venomous.........

B in Santiago