Title issues on mother's home

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
My mother made a huge mistake in my opinion in putting her home's title in a cousin's name.. The said cousin is in Spain at the moment and is unsure when he is able to return to the DR to transfer the name on the title. Is it possible to do this remotely through electronic correspondence? What would be the procedure? There is absolutely no foul play and he really wishes he could come back but he's having all types of immigration issues. I advised my mother against doing this but I was only 15 years old when she initially did it so she ignored me. I'm 26 now, we are both Dominican citizens, and I am looking for the next step to helping her secure her title, thanks.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
He can appoint someone to act here as his representative for him. This document is notarized and legalized in Spain. Then that person signs over the title on his behalf here in the DR. Been through this process.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
It's call 'Acto Notarial Venta de Inmueble'. Have your cousin get one in the Dominican consulate in Spain naming you as 'APODERADO'. The cost for the service in Spain is US$75.00. Once you have the 'Acto Notarial Venta de Inmueble' in your hand you can legally transfer title to anyone you desire on you cousin's behalf, yes, including your mother. Your cousin could also get a power of attorney (Acto Notarial de Representaci?n but I don't see the need for such a broad legal instrument.

Dominican consular in Madrid
Consulado General de la Repblica Dominicana en Madrid - Portada

Link to Acto Notarial Venta de Inmueble
Portal de Servicios Consulares de la Rep?blica Dominicana
Los Actos Notariales para VENTA de INMUEBLES son aquellos donde uno o varios ciudadanos o instituci?n (PODERDANTES) encomienda a otro ciudadano o instituci?n (APODERADO) a que gestione el proceso de Venta de un INMUEBLE propiedad del PODERDANTE.

Link to Acto Notarial de Representaci?n
Portal de Servicios Consulares de la Rep?blica Dominicana
Los Actos Notariales de REPRESENTACION son aquellos donde un ciudadano o instituci?n (PODERDANTE) encomienda a otro ciudadano o instituci?n (APODERADO) a que le represente ante cualquier acto civil que el PODERDNATE requiera efectuar ante las instituciones de la Rep?blica Dominicana o de otro pa?s.

NotLurking

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
One other related question, once I get the Acto Nortariale para venta de inmueble from Spain, what exactly is the process here in the DR? Do I need to hire someone for the signing over the title of the house? Is there costs involved I should know about?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You should see a VERY reputable attorney.............
You have too much to lose with a simple mistake..........
or a dishonest attorney.........or both.....

B in Santiago

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
My mother made a huge mistake in my opinion in putting her home's title in a cousin's name.. The said cousin is in Spain at the moment and is unsure when he is able to return to the DR to transfer the name on the title. Is it possible to do this remotely through electronic correspondence? What would be the procedure? There is absolutely no foul play and he really wishes he could come back but he's having all types of immigration issues. I advised my mother against doing this but I was only 15 years old when she initially did it so she ignored me. I'm 26 now, we are both Dominican citizens, and I am looking for the next step to helping her secure her title, thanks.

Your cousin has to send you a "Poder de abogado" authorizing your attorney to act on his/her behalf.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
One other related question, once I get the Acto Nortariale para venta de inmueble from Spain, what exactly is the process here in the DR? Do I need to hire someone for the signing over the title of the house? Is there costs involved I should know about?

Follow waytogo's advice, get a good reputable lawyer!

NotLurking