Why does white rice have such a monopoly?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Is it really the best bang for your buck regarding cost/satiety ? I have switched to purely brown rice from pimco and the cost different is minimal , 23 pesos per pound white rice and 28 pesos per pound with brown rice.. I feel like I can eat half the amount of brown rice and be just as full as if I had eaten double the amount of white rice..

I would think that other carb sources here are a better bang for your buck but it just seems like white rice is so dominant.. what about plantains (fairly popular, not as much as white rice though), batatas (delicious white sweet potatoe that is cheap as HECK), Yuca, Yautia, and the list goes on with low cost high quality carb sources. The only answer I can find is the convenience of white rice, but when it comes down to not having enough money to eat for some, why would convenience even factor in? You would never be able to eat the same amount of batata (pricewise) as you would white rice, it would just be too much.

Dec 26, 2011
My ex and her family(from the east) were always more into v?veres* than rice. She only made rice once or twice a week.

*Batata, yaut?a, yuca, ?ame, guine?tos, tostones, maduros, papas, etc.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
White rice, plantains and yuca are cheap. However, there is only one bandera. :)

We buy a criollo rice for RD16 a pound. The local varieties have come a long way and el americano no longer appears to have a big advantage in quality and rendimiento.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
There are places in the DR where viveres are eaten more than rice.I prefer rice because it is more
versatile.Viveres like yucca ,batata,platanos you basically eat boiled or fried.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am not dominican but it is a matter of culture, if you grew up eating white rice with long grain for example, it is hard to eat anything else (no matter what).

I don't like brown rice (i know it is ealthier, but not my thing), I hate parboiled rice (grains are too big), I hate rice cooked by Europeans (tasteless and boiled like pasta).

It is just cultural I guess. The same way Italians love al dente pasta, while others like them overcooked.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
What about protein sources?
Abuelo's are eaten here but it is really a small side dish, just more to give the rice more flavour.
But beans and other relatives such as lentels are very high in protein and yet they are consumed in much lesser quantities as rice.
In Mexico f.e. they make bean paste and also pepita paste, both very high in protein.

Maybe it is a cultural/traditional fact that Dominicans need to have their white rice or otherwise they have not eaten 'well'.

Acira

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
What about protein sources?
Abuelo's are eaten here but it is really a small side dish, just more to give the rice more flavour.
But beans and other relatives such as lentels are very high in protein and yet they are consumed in much lesser quantities as rice.
In Mexico f.e. they make bean paste and also pepita paste, both very high in protein.

Maybe it is a cultural/traditional fact that Dominicans need to have their white rice or otherwise they have not eaten 'well'.

Acira

You are so right.For most Dominicans eating rice on a daily basis is more filling

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
*Batata, yaut?a, yuca, ?ame, guine?tos, tostones, maduros, papas, etc.
The terminology you use is NOT from the East.
Cibao's tostones = Fritos in the East
East tostones = Fritos cut really small and thin, about the size of a medium coin.
maduros=?? You probably mean, fritos de platano maduro (key word is frito).
Did you ever eat "dulce de platano", that is, "carameled Platano maduro"?

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
There are places in the DR where viveres are eaten more than rice.I prefer rice because it is more
versatile.Viveres like yucca ,batata,platanos you basically eat boiled or fried.
I don't know any such places. In all the places I know, viveres are mostly eaten for dinner (not the main meal), and possibly for breakfast (mostly in the rural areas)...At noon (la comida de las 12), the main meal, rice is the UNDISPUTED KING....and nothing comes close...(not saying it is a good thing, just that it is like that).

If viveres appear at noon as a main dish it is almost certainly inside a sancocho...but then sancocho is ususally eaten with white rice, also!!

Just a side note about white rice...it may also be eaten as locrio (basically white rice with meat, usually chicken or pork, cooked together as a single dish)...or moro (basically white rice with beans or guandules cooked together as a single dish). Locrio and moro may each take one day of the week, at noon. Sancocho perhaps another (or less frequently). White rice and beans (plus some type of meat) the rest.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
East tostones = Fritos cut really small and thin, about the size of a medium coin.

tostones are fritos en the cibao also, maduros are maduros EVERYWHERE in the DR.. question marks after maduros invalidates anything you had to say.. I've NEVER heard anyone ask for fritos de platano maduro, maybe platano maduro at most but maduros is the word used..

the really small and thin ones I rarely see here in the DR, in Miami they are called mariquitas, they are called mariquitas here also when they come in a bag like papitas.. man you've been out of the DR too long, US is rubbing off.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011

My ex wife and her family(Bayaguana/Hato Mayor area) always said "tostones". My gf and her family(from Moca/Santiago) always say "fritos". I don't care what they call them, mine are the best. I make them more like patacones, wide and thin and crispy. I fry them(cut on just the right angle at the right thickness) then quickly pass them through water and lime juice seasoned with a little adobo, smash them real good and refry until golden. I've never had dulce de platano. I have had them baked with butter, brown sugar and cloves.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I don't know any such places. In all the places I know, viveres are mostly eaten for dinner (not the main meal), and possibly for breakfast (mostly in the rural areas)...At noon (la comida de las 12), the main meal, rice is the UNDISPUTED KING....and nothing comes close...(not saying it is a good thing, just that it is like that).

If viveres appear at noon as a main dish it is almost certainly inside a sancocho...but then sancocho is ususally eaten with white rice, also!!

Just a side note about white rice...it may also be eaten as locrio (basically white rice with meat, usually chicken or pork, cooked together as a single dish)...or moro (basically white rice with beans or guandules cooked together as a single dish). Locrio and moro may each take one day of the week, at noon. Sancocho perhaps another (or less frequently). White rice and beans (plus some type of meat) the rest.

You may not know of such places But I do!

Mr.Know it All!!

Dec 26, 2011

You're right, I was making it up. :rolleyes:

I do get a kick out of rice being served with lasagna. Dr. Atkins rolls over in his grave whenever that's on the table.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Also another funny random remark, in la vega la comida de las 12 is almost always referred to as "la comida" .. took me a while to get used to it because i was like it's all comida..

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
I do get a kick out of rice being served with lasagna. Dr. Atkins rolls over in his grave whenever that's on the table.
Dr. Atkins! What a great man! (EPD).
The worst (least logical) combo is (white) rice with spaghetti... where spaghetti purportedly replaces....MEAT!!!!!
Yes, it has been done.

Obviously anyone with the most elementary knowledge of nutrition would never replace meat (a protein source) with spaghetti (almost 100% carbs)...for that they'd use eggs, or cheese...never a flour product.