Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why does white rice have such a monopoly?

Is it really the best bang for your buck regarding cost/satiety ? I have switched to purely brown rice from pimco and the cost different is minimal , 23 pesos per pound white rice and 28 pesos per pound with brown rice.. I feel like I can eat half the amount of brown rice and be just as full as if I had eaten double the amount of white rice..

I would think that other carb sources here are a better bang for your buck but it just seems like white rice is so dominant.. what about plantains (fairly popular, not as much as white rice though), batatas (delicious white sweet potatoe that is cheap as HECK), Yuca, Yautia, and the list goes on with low cost high quality carb sources. The only answer I can find is the convenience of white rice, but when it comes down to not having enough money to eat for some, why would convenience even factor in? You would never be able to eat the same amount of batata (pricewise) as you would white rice, it would just be too much.

2. Likes Bronxboy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My ex and her family(from the east) were always more into víveres* than rice. She only made rice once or twice a week.

*Batata, yautía, yuca, ñame, guineítos, tostones, maduros, papas, etc.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

White rice, plantains and yuca are cheap. However, there is only one bandera.

We buy a criollo rice for RD16 a pound. The local varieties have come a long way and el americano no longer appears to have a big advantage in quality and rendimiento.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There are places in the DR where viveres are eaten more than rice.I prefer rice because it is more
    versatile.Viveres like yucca ,batata,platanos you basically eat boiled or fried.

6. Likes pollogringo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

White rice is my favorite food. ¡Y caliente mucho mejor!

8. Likes SKing liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not dominican but it is a matter of culture, if you grew up eating white rice with long grain for example, it is hard to eat anything else (no matter what).

I don't like brown rice (i know it is ealthier, but not my thing), I hate parboiled rice (grains are too big), I hate rice cooked by Europeans (tasteless and boiled like pasta).

It is just cultural I guess. The same way Italians love al dente pasta, while others like them overcooked.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What about protein sources?
    Abuelo's are eaten here but it is really a small side dish, just more to give the rice more flavour.
    But beans and other relatives such as lentels are very high in protein and yet they are consumed in much lesser quantities as rice.
    In Mexico f.e. they make bean paste and also pepita paste, both very high in protein.

Maybe it is a cultural/traditional fact that Dominicans need to have their white rice or otherwise they have not eaten 'well'.

Acira

11. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

my abuelo was delicious!

13. Likes Acira, Africaida liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sayanora View Post
    my abuelo was delicious!
    jejejejeje....I meant habichuelas

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Acira View Post
    What about protein sources?
    Abuelo's are eaten here but it is really a small side dish, just more to give the rice more flavour.
    But beans and other relatives such as lentels are very high in protein and yet they are consumed in much lesser quantities as rice.
    In Mexico f.e. they make bean paste and also pepita paste, both very high in protein.

Maybe it is a cultural/traditional fact that Dominicans need to have their white rice or otherwise they have not eaten 'well'.

Acira
    You are so right.For most Dominicans eating rice on a daily basis is more filling

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast