Mosquitoes are attacking!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Mosquitoes are out and in numbers.

FROM the Sousa area. We are in Playa Chiquita and have never seen them this bad before. We, including our yard staff, have noticed a HUGH INCREASE in mosquitoes in the last couple of days. I was warned by our garden worker and watched him swat, slap and dance around while trying to do the yard work and then I learned too while sitting outside doing a project. SWAT... SPAT and SWAT somemore. (I don't dance but I know how to close a screen door/window.)

We have had rain off and on for a couple of weeks with T.S./H Sandy know delivering lots more rain I expect that situation will not improve for awhile. Hence, we have and will get mosquitoes.

With warnings concerning mosquito born virus's, as well as who wants that nasty itchy bite, it might be wise to protect yourself.

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
Here in SD there are many mosquitoes. Or something new. They fly right for you. Not even a fan deters them. I am wearing long sleeves and they bite right through. They do not look like the regular mosquitoes. Don't know what they are.

Liong

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I hate how they attack my hands when I have the sheet pulled over my body while sleeping. They also brutally bite my ankles.

The mosquito repellant candle I brought actually works quite well.

Aug 21, 2007
Mosquitos never bite me.......but last evening, I got devoured! All of a sudden, they are cannibals! We should start prevention- spraying, etc. immediately (even though I detest those chemicals). I imagine that it will get even worse in the campo.

Lindsey

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I gave blood this AM!

Mosquitos never bite me.......but last evening, I got devoured! All of a sudden, they are cannibals! We should start prevention- spraying, etc. immediately (even though I detest those chemicals). I imagine that it will get even worse in the campo.

Lindsey

They usually don't bother me too much either. I went out this AM to get my morning battery/solar figures; into a more planted area with bushes and got bit up real fast. I didn't finish getting my readings. :cry:

As we groomed our horses the small biting flys joined in so the horses were moving around quite a bit. I went to get the animal spray and true as usual, someone had used it up but did put the empty bottle back on the shelf. (I HATE IT when staff does that.) :mad:

I don't recall the mosquitoes and biting flys being this aggresive before. :confused: Time to pass around the Off. :rolleyes:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
get an electrical mosquito killer racket (la sirena, jumbo super markets) and have all fun all day killing them. I have installed a mosquito curtain which closes with magnets so the curtain closes as you enter the room. it goes on the door. this keeps the mosquitoes out from entering the house. Ebay sells them for like 10 bucks. I have one installed in my main entrance of the apartment where the wind comes in from. the air circulates in the apartment and no mosquitoes can enter easily. The ones who do manage to enter are instantly killed by my electrical racket. I love it.
AZB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
get an electrical mosquito killer racket (la sirena, jumbo super markets) and have all fun all day killing them. I have installed a mosquito curtain which closes with magnets so the curtain closes as you enter the room. it goes on the door. this keeps the mosquitoes out from entering the house. Ebay sells them for like 10 bucks. I have one installed in my main entrance of the apartment where the wind comes in from. the air circulates in the apartment and no mosquitoes can enter easily. The ones who do manage to enter are instantly killed by my electrical racket. I love it.
AZB

We have one of those rackets but it is hard to see the little mosquitoes to hit them but are great for zapping wasps/hornets. :knockedou We have insect screens on all windows and doors so don't have a big problem with them in the house EXCEPT for when the housekeeper leaves them open. :rolleyes: :mad:

I did not have my fan on last night when I went to bed and sure enough.... the ONE mosquito in the house found me just as I was about to fall asleep. :cross-eye I swatted at it sent it over to my wife. They really love her. :rolleyes: ......... and I turned the fan on. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. if in the house fumigate outside. you get a bottle of poison in ferreteria, pour a cap of that in a small bomba, fill with water and spray. in particular do all the corners, below all plants and most specifically around platanos/bananas.
2. buy normal mosquito spray and fumigate inside the bedroom and bathroom. clsoe all windows and doors, let brew for 30 minutes.
3. spray ankles and wrists before you go to sleep with off. or, better even, a dominican spray called desporte. that one is greasy and very itchy if you touch it to your face but rub a bit in your fingers and run them along the hairline.
4. use those mosquito coils from bygone. each one gives several hours of smoke. keep it on the floor or under the table where you seat.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
And now Ticks...

The mosquitoes and little black flys have gone down to normal swatting.

We let two of our dogs in when we have thunder. They, dunderdogs, are scared beyond belief so they end up under or on our bed as they did last night.

Woke up to TICKS all over us and the bed. We spent over an hour picking them off the bed. Most very small so must be a new hatch. It could have come in the last load of hay that we got last week since I do keep the fields and pastures cut and spay those a few times a year.

We treat our our animals every month and never had any real problem before. But today we are pulling off ticks and spraying the 4 dogs, 3 horses and a donkey. So that's our fun time for today.

Anjinsen

Banned
Jul 24, 2011
It took us two weeks to get rid of ticks even after the dogs had left.They lurked in folds of the chairs and edges of the windows

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Too bad the government doesn't do anything here against the mosquitoes. For example in Panama the authorities send out trucks fumigating the areas, workers going house by house fumigating the yards etc. Have never seen that here but then again it's more important to have a new jeepeta.

May 29, 2006
I was reading about a mosquito plague in PR in the 30s. They were able to cut down on the numbers dramatically by putting a little oil in the breeding puddles. Also look for any debris which can collect rain such as tires, which are perfect for them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ringo, we use frontline on our dogs, not even one tick. it really works.