DR vs USA

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Comparing The United States to Dominican Republic.

If Dominican Republic were your home instead of The United States you would...

have 4.1 times higher chance of dying in infancy

be 83.33% more likely to have HIV/AIDS

use 89.61% less electricity

make 82.11% less money

consume 80.67% less oil

have 62.37% more chance of being unemployed

have 60.01% more babies

spend 94.36% less money on health care

die 4.25 years sooner

experience 10.89% more of a class divide

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

die 4.25 years sooner... but enjoy it a lot more!
at least i do ;)

sunlover721

Oct 25, 2012
Glad to see this link...in the beginning stages of planning for a move, and considering the DR especially. Looking for a small town, with beach access, but stores close by, as I intend to walk or bike ride everywhere. I am self-employed and can work from anywhere there is a stable Internet connection. Any recommendations?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

die 4.25 years sooner... but enjoy it a lot more!
at least i do ;)

I sometimes wonder how they determine these things. My in-laws were both 92 when they died. Mr. AE's paternal grandparents were 100 and 106.

Are they averaging out everyone who dies from accidents/murders/etc. in with natural deaths?? Because today's DR1 News says only 14% of deaths in DR are natural:

[h=3]Only 14% of deaths due to natural causes[/h]Doctors Edylberto Cabral and Mayra Brea, professors at the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo (UASD) have found that 44.3% of the deaths in the country over the last six years were due to robbery, drugs, extra judicial executions, kidnapping and murder, with only 14% being due to natural causes.

They said that the figures show the prevalence of violence in the country, and called for urgent State intervention, whilst warning of the rapid increase in "social-personal conflict" as shown by deaths caused in fights, the increase of femicides, domestic violence, suicides, sexual crimes and others.

In the study, "Criminal violence versus Social Conflict Violence in the Dominican Republic", published in the XI Journal of University Science Investigation, they revealed that over 80% of the deaths in the country were due to murder, suicide and accidents and that both murder and suicide had practically doubled over the last decade, according to the National Institute of Forensic Science (Inecif).

They highlighted the fact that deaths during robberies had increased by 141% over this time period, and the increase in the drug problem which was leading to structural violence in an unequal society, which did not provide those involved with sufficient resources to meet their needs and hence they turned to crime.

www.elnacional.com.do/nacional/2012/10/24/139141/Estudio-revela-44-de-muertes-RD-son-violentasl

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I sometimes wonder how they determine these things. My in-laws were both 92 when they died. Mr. AE's paternal grandparents were 100 and 106.

Are they averaging out everyone who dies from accidents/murders/etc. in with natural deaths?? Because today's DR1 News says only 14% of deaths in DR are natural:

Only 14% of deaths due to natural causes

Doctors Edylberto Cabral and Mayra Brea, professors at the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo (UASD) have found that 44.3% of the deaths in the country over the last six years were due to robbery, drugs, extra judicial executions, kidnapping and murder, with only 14% being due to natural causes.

They said that the figures show the prevalence of violence in the country, and called for urgent State intervention, whilst warning of the rapid increase in "social-personal conflict" as shown by deaths caused in fights, the increase of femicides, domestic violence, suicides, sexual crimes and others.

In the study, "Criminal violence versus Social Conflict Violence in the Dominican Republic", published in the XI Journal of University Science Investigation, they revealed that over 80% of the deaths in the country were due to murder, suicide and accidents and that both murder and suicide had practically doubled over the last decade, according to the National Institute of Forensic Science (Inecif).

They highlighted the fact that deaths during robberies had increased by 141% over this time period, and the increase in the drug problem which was leading to structural violence in an unequal society, which did not provide those involved with sufficient resources to meet their needs and hence they turned to crime.

www.elnacional.com.do/nacional/2012/10/24/139141/Estudio-revela-44-de-muertes-RD-son-violentasl

Wow.. 44% , I bet accidents are another 20% .. that basically means if you can avoid dying here, you will most likely live a longer life here than in the US.. *gets back in his bulleproof bubble*

Sep 4, 2012
Glad to see this link...in the beginning stages of planning for a move, and considering the DR especially. Looking for a small town, with beach access, but stores close by, as I intend to walk or bike ride everywhere. I am self-employed and can work from anywhere there is a stable Internet connection. Any recommendations?

Juan Dolio, hands down.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

[h=3]Only 14% of deaths due to natural causes[/h]Doctors Edylberto Cabral and Mayra Brea, professors at the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo (UASD) have found that 44.3% of the deaths in the country over the last six years were due to robbery, drugs, extra judicial executions, kidnapping and murder, with only 14% being due to natural causes.

If that were the case it should be relatively easy among friends and family to know various people that have died from being murdered every year. In my experience here that hasn't been the case.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

Cabarete hands down. you can walk all the way from Cabarete to Sosua (Sea Horse Ranch)...it's about an 8 mile walk along the beach. From my door on the beach (The Victorian) to Sea Horse Ranch is about 8 miles. it's a stunning, beautiful walk. Highly reccomend it for anyone who has never done it. I even ride a bike back and forth along the road--to Ocean Village--and love it.

Frank

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011

make 82.11% less money

consume 80.67% less oil

have 60.01% more babies

die 4.25 years sooner

~Lets caulk it up to more or less...life sucks and then you die.....however he who dies with more children, toys and experiance WINs???? regardless of Geographic REGION.....!!!!!!

sunlover721

Oct 25, 2012
Have heard lots of great things about Juan Dolio. Thanks-- definitely a place to check out. Any big damage from the storm?

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
juan dolio has cheap land. i don't know which part of the country i like, i like it all

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

make 82.11% less money

consume 80.67% less oil

have 60.01% more babies

die 4.25 years sooner

Get laid 675% easier.

Have 418% more mistresses.

Assume 85% less responsibility.

Be 275% more likely to have clothing with your country's flag.

Eat 245% more fruit.

Eat 90% less beef.

Dance 350% more.

Read 95% less.

Argue about baseball 795% more.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
First off-nearly anywhere on the North Coast as you are virtually hurricane proof. The gem of the North Coast is Sosua and it has the friendliest people. Everywhere you go in Sosua you hear "hello my fren". In Cabarete if you leave the beach you will be either killed on its narrow high speed road or be covered in highway dust and dont drive as there is no where to park. All things considered Cabarete still ranks a distant second.

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
Hola Frank!

I have enjoyed that walk very much. I liked Cabarete too. I spent time in Punta Cana, Uvero Alto. I visited Juan Dolio, Santa Domingo, La Vega, and Samana. I think for Carebbean living that is not too remote, or too close to large populations with third world conditions, Cabarete is a nice pick. However, it is small, and there are not too many expats / interesting people, and it is not as cheap as most people assume.

Best of luck

dropshort

May 18, 2008
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
On the death numbers. My opinion for what its worth. Most of the deaths are the younger people who succumb to trauma - machetes to motos. This skews the numbers so that the averages do not mean much. One thing is true: if you are young you do not have, statistically, much of a chance of getting old and if you are old you have great odds at getting even older.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
On the death numbers. My opinion for what its worth. Most of the deaths are the younger people who succumb to trauma - machetes to motos. This skews the numbers so that the averages do not mean much. One thing is true: if you are young you do not have, statistically, much of a chance of getting old and if you are old you have great odds at getting even older.
US data is skewed also because of inner city yout' on yout' violence...as infant mortality figures are skewed by children/young women drug addicts having children...