Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DR vs USA

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DR vs USA

Comparing The United States to Dominican Republic.

If Dominican Republic were your home instead of The United States you would...

have 4.1 times higher chance of dying in infancy

be 83.33% more likely to have HIV/AIDS

use 89.61% less electricity

make 82.11% less money

consume 80.67% less oil

have 62.37% more chance of being unemployed

have 60.01% more babies

spend 94.36% less money on health care

die 4.25 years sooner

experience 10.89% more of a class divide

2. Likes sunlover721, Noballs, kampinge liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

damn i wanna move already!

wait nevermind, 60% more babies.. woot!

4. Likes Acira liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

die 4.25 years sooner... but enjoy it a lot more!
    at least i do

6. Dislikes kampinge disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

old news, this link was already posted a long time ago

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see this link...in the beginning stages of planning for a move, and considering the DR especially. Looking for a small town, with beach access, but stores close by, as I intend to walk or bike ride everywhere. I am self-employed and can work from anywhere there is a stable Internet connection. Any recommendations?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CFA123 View Post

die 4.25 years sooner... but enjoy it a lot more!
    at least i do

I sometimes wonder how they determine these things. My in-laws were both 92 when they died. Mr. AE's paternal grandparents were 100 and 106.

Are they averaging out everyone who dies from accidents/murders/etc. in with natural deaths?? Because today's DR1 News says only 14% of deaths in DR are natural:

Only 14% of deaths due to natural causes

Doctors Edylberto Cabral and Mayra Brea, professors at the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo (UASD) have found that 44.3% of the deaths in the country over the last six years were due to robbery, drugs, extra judicial executions, kidnapping and murder, with only 14% being due to natural causes.

They said that the figures show the prevalence of violence in the country, and called for urgent State intervention, whilst warning of the rapid increase in "social-personal conflict" as shown by deaths caused in fights, the increase of femicides, domestic violence, suicides, sexual crimes and others.

In the study, "Criminal violence versus Social Conflict Violence in the Dominican Republic", published in the XI Journal of University Science Investigation, they revealed that over 80% of the deaths in the country were due to murder, suicide and accidents and that both murder and suicide had practically doubled over the last decade, according to the National Institute of Forensic Science (Inecif).

They highlighted the fact that deaths during robberies had increased by 141% over this time period, and the increase in the drug problem which was leading to structural violence in an unequal society, which did not provide those involved with sufficient resources to meet their needs and hence they turned to crime.

www.elnacional.com.do/nacional/2012/10/24/139141/Estudio-revela-44-de-muertes-RD-son-violentasl

Administrator
    DR1.com

10. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I sometimes wonder how they determine these things. My in-laws were both 92 when they died. Mr. AE's paternal grandparents were 100 and 106.

Are they averaging out everyone who dies from accidents/murders/etc. in with natural deaths?? Because today's DR1 News says only 14% of deaths in DR are natural:

Doctors Edylberto Cabral and Mayra Brea, professors at the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo (UASD) have found that 44.3% of the deaths in the country over the last six years were due to robbery, drugs, extra judicial executions, kidnapping and murder, with only 14% being due to natural causes.

They said that the figures show the prevalence of violence in the country, and called for urgent State intervention, whilst warning of the rapid increase in "social-personal conflict" as shown by deaths caused in fights, the increase of femicides, domestic violence, suicides, sexual crimes and others.

In the study, "Criminal violence versus Social Conflict Violence in the Dominican Republic", published in the XI Journal of University Science Investigation, they revealed that over 80% of the deaths in the country were due to murder, suicide and accidents and that both murder and suicide had practically doubled over the last decade, according to the National Institute of Forensic Science (Inecif).

They highlighted the fact that deaths during robberies had increased by 141% over this time period, and the increase in the drug problem which was leading to structural violence in an unequal society, which did not provide those involved with sufficient resources to meet their needs and hence they turned to crime.

www.elnacional.com.do/nacional/2012/10/24/139141/Estudio-revela-44-de-muertes-RD-son-violentasl
    Wow.. 44% , I bet accidents are another 20% .. that basically means if you can avoid dying here, you will most likely live a longer life here than in the US.. *gets back in his bulleproof bubble*

12. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunlover721 View Post
    Glad to see this link...in the beginning stages of planning for a move, and considering the DR especially. Looking for a small town, with beach access, but stores close by, as I intend to walk or bike ride everywhere. I am self-employed and can work from anywhere there is a stable Internet connection. Any recommendations?
    Juan Dolio, hands down.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post

If that were the case it should be relatively easy among friends and family to know various people that have died from being murdered every year. In my experience here that hasn't been the case.

15. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunlover721 View Post
    Cabarete hands down. you can walk all the way from Cabarete to Sosua (Sea Horse Ranch)...it's about an 8 mile walk along the beach. From my door on the beach (The Victorian) to Sea Horse Ranch is about 8 miles. it's a stunning, beautiful walk. Highly reccomend it for anyone who has never done it. I even ride a bike back and forth along the road--to Ocean Village--and love it.

Frank

17. Likes waytogo, Noballs liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast