The orange sweet potatoe I love, is it in the DR?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Been looking for the orange sweet potatoes to make stuff like the sweet potatoe pie, the sweet potatoe thing with marshmallows from boston market, trying to plan out a huge thanksgiving thing American style, is it possible to get these here in the DR?

Sep 4, 2012
Been looking for the orange sweet potatoes to make stuff like the sweet potatoe pie, the sweet potatoe thing with marshmallows from boston market, trying to plan out a huge thanksgiving thing American style, is it possible to get these here in the DR?

Amazon.

Aug 21, 2007
Love them, too. Never saw them here. The sweet potato they have here is white inside and not nearly as good.

Lindsey

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Same here - I've been told they do appear occasionally but have never actually seen them - in my parental home we eat them roasted for dessert, the best ones ooze caramel. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Supermercado Nacional in Santiago had them briefly about 2 months ago. I don't think they are currently carrying them, but I will confirm that on my next visit.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We brought two from the US and cut them and planted them. We how have sweet potatoes year round. Love them

Bob K

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
I asked that question when I got here too. The answer I received was that the sweet potato is called the "batata." I looked it up on the internet. I appears that it is classified as the same thing, even though the sweet potato has a different look and taste. The batata is white inside. It tastes similar, but not the same. I miss my sweet potatoes too!

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I saw butternut squash at la serena in pop but it's not cheap I think it as about 1.00 US a lb.

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
I saw butternut squash at la serena in pop but it's not cheap I think it as about 1.00 US a lb.

Most supermarkets brought sweet potato for some while until local producers (which dont even produce that type of sweet potato) fought for a ban of imports. They do however sell them in cans.