renewing driving license in POP - update

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just to let everyone know how things are right now.

my license expired two days ago so today i went to get a replacement. first you need to pay taxes in banreservas, it's 830 pesos, cash only and they do check your old license.
then it's off to the transport department next to the stadium. beware that if it rains you'll need an umbrella to stay inside, the ceiling leaks so badly.
you will need to present proof of payment of impuestos along with your cedula and old license (the license they will keep). then you take an eye exam. then fingerprints and a photo and your new card is ready in minutes. everything done in 15 minutes tops. well, plus half an hour in a queue in banreservas.

all very smooth and fast. i wish things were that straightforward back home...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Read up on the VIP treatment for getting the original license..... Piece o' Cake.

They anwer all the questions for you, taking care to make an error or two to avoid the 'Einstein' disqualification:laugh:

Seriously, thanks for the info - always good to know this stuff

Oh, Happy Birthday

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you :) :) :)

my friend says that 5k pesos will get you a new license without ever doing anything but grinning for a picture and pressing a finger to greasy digital reader: no tests, no exams, no courses, not even a trip to banreservas. all done for you.

but i wanted to post a short update in case someone wanted to do it all legit, like dominicans. ;)

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Happy belated Birthday DV8

thank you :) :) :) but i wanted to post a short update in case someone wanted to do it all legit, like dominicans. ;)

So, of course, you had some one drive you there, right?
Since your license was expired!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, miesposo did. i am kinda law abiding. residue from communism, i suppose. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
thank you :) :) :)

my friend says that 5k pesos will get you a new license without ever doing anything but grinning for a picture and pressing a finger to greasy digital reader: no tests, no exams, no courses, not even a trip to banreservas. all done for you.

but i wanted to post a short update in case someone wanted to do it all legit, like dominicans. ;)

No senior citizen discount for you, I suppose, on that 5K ?

joking, joking, hehehehe

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Happy birthday dv8... 21 right?

I can understand the eye exam, but why the fingerprinting? To make sure you have hands to hold the steering wheel? Hey, I can drive perfectly using my knees!!!

Damn... now they are going to want toe prints as well.

BelgianK

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is one experience in the DR that actually is better than in the US. The DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in the US is perhaps one of the worst places to visit, worse than going to the dentist on most peoples lists.

The fingerprints are, I am sure, part of the new BIOMETRIC ID process in the DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks all for bday withes, i am obviously 18 and not a second more!

they take fingerprints twice, actually. first to register your papers and then again, 5 minutes later, at the same desk but a different corner again. i suppose to confirm no one has snatched the skin off your digits while you waited...

the eye exam is ridiculous, really. you have to read (here's a tip for you guys) a line just above a thick red marking on the board. and you are about two meters away. but if you are blind as a bat just read and memorize those five letters when you enter and pretend you are confused as to what to do.

i was given a paper with 20/20 vision opinion. and i have over -7 dioptres :) i use contact lenses.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have almost perfect vision in one eye and very poor vision in the other. I can get by - in an impressionistic sort of way - but do need glasses for things like watching TV, cinema and driving. I forgot them when I went for my last licence renewal and when I looked into the binocular thingies for the eye test I could see nothing but a white blur with my left eye. I explained to the doctora and instead of sending me home to get my glasses she just called out to the people in the waiting area to lend me a pair. Luckily one of them had glasses that were strong enough for my batlike left eye.

Before anyone asks, I wasn't driving that day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i love and praise dominican idontgiveaf**kness.

a perfect example: i went to SD to get new cedula. they ask me "blah blah, soltera o casada?". i say "casada". they say no cedula then, i need to bring marriage certificate.
i say: "entonces pone soltera". and so they did :) no further questions, no arguing, no messing around. gotta love that!

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I can understand the eye exam, but why the fingerprinting?

BelgianK

I passed the finger and horn test and they gave me this official bumper sticker.

32ztm4o.jpg