Canada Residency Anyone ?

Nov 25, 2008
Has anyone done a Canadian residency from the D.R.?
My son who will graduate (Bus. Adm.) in April 2013 wants to move (work) to Canada (I don't blame him, seeing how the economical situation here is getting worst), he is an American citizen.
He has checked into an option of a company that charges $3,500 to submit his paperwork, they are located in front of the PUCMM in the plaza where the hotel is, anyone has any reference from them?
thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Do you think he should a Cdn lawyer? Might be easier that way.

Will he need a job offer first? Most visas require a job offer - at least ones I've seen.
That job offer may provide the visa application process.
My daughter did it that way, twice -UK & USA.

Have you spoken to the Cdn Consulate here/RD?

george1

Jan 2, 2011
As long as you don't have a crimminal record and have a skillset that is in demand, it's not that difficult.

My friend has just moved there and is very happy. He is Dominican and took care of all by himself. Send me your info and I will be glad to ask him to get in touch with you.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
Why Canada? As a US citizen he can go to Canada anytime he wants without a visa only required Id, US Passport , Passport Card etc... To work there is a different Issue. an easier path might be to settle first on a US border town like Buffalo NY. He can work there with no additional paperwork and probably would get pay more. The Canadians go Gas,food, grocery shopping on that side all the time because it is cheaper for them and less taxes in NY after all. In 15 minutes He can be in Niagara falls Canada 2:30 hrs In Toronto for about $25 Bus ride. In a few months he should be able to know the requirements and be able to make an inform decision as per which side would be best for him.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Has anyone done a Canadian residency from the D.R.?
My son who will graduate (Bus. Adm.) in April 2013 wants to move (work) to Canada (I don't blame him, seeing how the economical situation here is getting worst), he is an American citizen.
He has checked into an option of a company that charges $3,500 to submit his paperwork, they are located in front of the PUCMM in the plaza where the hotel is, anyone has any reference from them?
thanks

I am also interested in Canadian Permanent Residency. I am an American citizen with Dominican wife and child. How would one go about obtaining Canadian Permanent Residency for a family? My wife has a sister that is a Canadian citizen living in Toronto and I have read about what is called a FC-Visa-Family Class Visa with her sponsorship. I would be interested to hear the experience of others that have attempted to obtain a Canadian Visa. Thanks.

Why Canada? As a US citizen he can go to Canada anytime he wants without a visa only required Id, US Passport , Passport Card etc... To work there is a different Issue. an easier path might be to settle first on a US border town like Buffalo NY. He can work there with no additional paperwork and probably would get pay more. The Canadians go Gas,food, grocery shopping on that side all the time because it is cheaper for them and less taxes in NY after all. In 15 minutes He can be in Niagara falls Canada 2:30 hrs In Toronto for about $25 Bus ride. In a few months he should be able to know the requirements and be able to make an inform decision as per which side would be best for him.

He can come and go anytime on his American passport, but cannot work legally

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wuddy,I think the suggestion there was to work in a border town - on the US side - and visit as often as desired.

You're right - a visa is needed for work

And remember, wacky tobaccy and DUI offenses are state issues in the US...
In Canada , they are Federal issues.... can muddy the application in a second.