residency denied !!!!!

dom

Jun 1, 2011
i know of 2 cases where people have been denied their residency for different reasons,

first of all i would understand if people apply for the first time and an illness is detected that the residency maybe denied for obvious reasons, but not after more then 10 years since they got there first residency.

the first case is an older very decent couple, both have been living here for more then 15 years with an 1 mio us plus investment in this country, both have final cancer, and have now been denied the residency.

the second case is a mid aged couple, married, also with 1 mio us dollar investment in property and here for more then 20 years. he got and the child got the residency, and SHE got denied, not too sure about the exact reason on that one, but she sure is no criminal.

my question is first, where is it WRITTEN that allows the goverment to deny their visa for those reasons, and second isn't it again any and all human rights to kick you out of a country where you have invested, worked and lived for half of your life ??? these people have no other life then what they have here, this is against any legal rights the way i see it

Dec 26, 2011
With everything I assume you already know about life in the RD, why would you expect fairness, decency or logical consistency in this matter?

When you believe they cannot do anything more stupid in this country, they somehow manages to so. Everytime..

Makes me consider other places to live, i can live in the normal Dominican "stupidity" towards us Gringos. But when it starting to turn into a witchunt from the locos who run this country, against non-dominicans,- then it is time to go and look for another place to live.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
if people have worked, invested, employed Dominicans, paid there taxes basically given everything of there life to this country, and now they want to kick you out, this will have international consequences, there are international laws and rules that are being broken, i think not even MR. dickhead Dominican lawmaker can go over these laws and rules.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
have they been or are they beeing deported? or just denied residency and they can go on living here sans paperwork?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
A thought on expatriation.

Living "half one's life" and investing all one's money in a Country other than one's homeland carries no guarrantee. "Buying in" is not ownership, it's a long term rental strategy. My Father expatriated to Mexico and his Father expatriated to Scotland they both started new lives in their new Countries and both of them eventually returned to and died in the USA. The most important documents that any expatriate U.S. citizen can possess is their passport and return trip ticket.

I take the lesson from 1st generation immigrants to the U.S. from Asia, Africa, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. They live their lives here, building businesses, raising families, investing wisely and blending in but they all have an exit plan which includes a liquidity strategy for their assets. Most will never return to their homeland permanently but they are prepared for it should conditions change.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i say, little corruption goes a long way. see if those folks can pay some cash to have things "fixed". better that worrying. and hell, yes, i am a big fan of corruption, not ashamed to admit it. we all wish we could make things go smoothly with a little extra, whether in a government office or any other institution...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
my question is first, where is it WRITTEN that allows the goverment to deny their visa for those reasons, and second isn't it again any and all human rights to kick you out of a country where you have invested, worked and lived for half of your life ??? these people have no other life then what they have here, this is against any legal rights the way i see it

Not clear from your post. Were the 3 people denied residency already legal residents, or were they applying for the first time?

The DR government has always had the right to grant or deny residency, just as the US does. And health has always been a consideration, which is why the physical is required. The requirement to have a local guarantor or a certain amount of income is to be sure the residents can support themselves and the physical is to be sure they have no medical condition that could result in them making demands of the health cares system (such as it is).

You seem to be implying that the people denied residency were being kicked out of the country. Is that true, or will they continue living here as visitors rather than residents?

The DR is not unique in making residency decisions that some think are unfair. This happens in every country that does not have a wide-open door policy.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Act of Arbitrariness?

I'm sure that for the right price, this "error" or "misunderstanding" can be worked out right quick.
... those folks can pay some cash to have things "fixed"....

Without doubt, it can be "fixed".

But the question is, whether some illegality should be made "right" with another wrongdoing.

Now, whether we really have a licentious act by someone in 'migraci?n' who is playing GOD or not needs to be verified first.

If such is the case then it should be made widely public.

I suggest writing to:

- the president's office and https://www.facebook.com/PresidenciaRD
- the embassies concerned
- Amnesty International
- Nuria Piera ( Nuria.com.do )
- other newspapers

donP

P.S.:
Maybe this should be in the legal forum?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
A Burden on the State's Health Care?

The requirement to have a local guarantor or a certain amount of income is to be sure the residents can support themselves ...

If an expat has no money, neither the guarantor nor the Dominican government will help.
His last resort is his/her embassy.

....the physical is to be sure they have no medical condition that could result in them making demands of the health cares system....

What health care system? :rolleyes:

If an ill resident can't afford treatment in a private clinic he/she can of course join the queue in a government hospital. There they (sometimes) have green pills (for problems above the waist) and red pills (for problems below the waist).

donP

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Another reason to pay a few dollars more and and get Citizenship here. It may be too late now, but it was a cinch before this fiasco. Once you are a Citizen the Government can go **** themselves.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Makes me consider other places to live, i can live in the normal Dominican "stupidity" towards us Gringos. But when it starting to turn into a witchunt from the locos who run this country, against non-dominicans,- then it is time to go and look for another place to live.

Of course you SHOULD get the F*** out if you feel that way...If you stand your country even less, that is no excuse...there are about 200 countries to choose from...The DR is only ONE...and a fairly small one at that.

Never live in a place that you feel is not right for you. Move to another.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Another reason to pay a few dollars more and and get Citizenship here. It may be too late now, but it was a cinch before this fiasco. Once you are a Citizen the Government can go **** themselves.
Don't be so sure...any government has the right to revoke a naturalisation...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If an expat has no money, neither the guarantor nor the Dominican government will help.
His last resort is his/her embassy.

What health care system? :rolleyes:

If an ill resident can't afford treatment in a private clinic he/she can of course join the queue in a government hospital. There they (sometimes) have green pills (for problems above the waist) and red pills (for problems below the waist).

donP

What you say is true, but you completely missed my point. I was responding to the OP who doubted that the government has the right to deny residency to people because of illness.

Of course the government has the right, as does any country that does not have a complete open-door policy. I doubt that people who apparently are terminal cancer cases would be good candidates for residency anywhere.

The DR government, and I am sure most other governments, deny residency to people with serious criminal violations on their record, have serious health issues, and lack the resources to support themselves (the US should be more strict on this one, in my opinion.)

Whether the DR public health services are equal to those in another country has nothing to do with it. Good health is a requirement for residency.

Unless these people who have apparently invested large sums in the purchase of property and have a good history of abiding by the rules and customs of the country are being deported, I don't see what the fuss is all about.

I'm sure if some of those responding to this thread were responsible for who got residency in their country, that they would be checking criminal records, health records and financial records themselves before making a decision

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
If such is the case then it should be made widely public.

I suggest writing to:

- the president's office and https://www.facebook.com/PresidenciaRD
- the embassies concerned
- Amnesty International
- Nuria Piera ( Nuria.com.do )
- other newspapers

donP

P.S.:
Maybe this should be in the legal forum?

If I were the older couple, I'd hesitate to make a major deal of it.
Travel in/out of the country as long as possible (perhaps forever) paying the overstay fee.

If that becomes impossible, then perhaps pursue other avenues if intent on remaining here.
Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd bring myself to the attention of any powers that could a) potentially kick me out or b) prevent my re-entry on a tourist visa.

Or, discretely have an attorney check into it.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
If I were the older couple, I'd hesitate to make a major deal of it.
Travel in/out of the country as long as possible (perhaps forever) paying the overstay fee.
Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd bring myself to the attention of any powers that could a) potentially kick me out or b) prevent my re-entry on a tourist visa.
Additionally, the OP indicates that the older couple, both, unfortunately have terminal cancer...I suppose that means they have been told by their doctors that they have a relatively short time to live (in the doctors' opinions)...Under such circumstances it is unclear why getting a permanent residence would be a big deal for them...