Buying a Dodge Caliber 2007 in DR? Good idea?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Read somewhere that some parts are Mitsubishis, then it should be easy to find. True, or are the parts difficult to find and expensive?

Pontiac Vibe, another alternative. Twin with Toyota Matrix, all Toyota Corolla parts... Great!

Any input/experiences on what to buy and not to buy? :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Read somewhere that some parts are Mitsubishis, then it should be easy to find. True, or are the parts difficult to find and expensive?

Pontiac Vibe, another alternative. Twin with Toyota Matrix, all Toyota Corolla parts... Great!

stay away from the Vibe. pontiac has closed down, and not all the sheetmetal is the same as Matrix.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005

I would never buy a Dodge, in the dr or anywhere else.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hmmmm and If I cannot afford that? Continue with Guaguas? :)

THen buy used.... just make sure the car is an export model and was shipped here new, not as a used US vehicle.
Thats what I did..... you can tell by how many marbetas are on the windshield.

You'll have service records too.

I prefer SD for car shopping, contrary to many opinions here.
Bigger city,better prices, less miles, more local vehicles..... Moca seems to be the 'import' capital, SD is the capital.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Buy only Japanese made cars made in Japan for the American market (NOT made in US, Malysia, etc., for the Japanese, Mexican or whatever market),
and freshly imported from the US auction lots never roaded in the DR (Doms don't change oil, etc.).

Toyota or Mitsubishi have good used (fresh from Mexican chop shop) parts everywhere cheap and shade tree mechanics can fix them up better than dealers.
The VIN tells it all, and there's a metal tag in the driver's door jam that also has info.

Example: Mitsubishis can be made in Malyasia (Indo, Aus) knock down plants for the right hand drive market. If they have an inventory problem in their smaller RHD markets they dump the excess after LH conversion. You can tell because the signals and wiper collective controls are reversed. That's not all! All the under-facia plumbing can be a nightmare of rare reversed molded parts.

Vibe? Further to GORGON's post, the Vibe will suffer from weird parts (Frankenstein sourcing of goods to the line from any vendor/make in order to remain competitive with the homeboys in Japan — as well as the obvious disadvantage of American "workmanship".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pelaut,
I suppose its all personal preference.

When I was car shopping and noticed a price discrepancy, I was told that the lower priced car was Japanese made and therefore priced less.

The car I bought was made in Tillsonburg Canada on the assembly line for all the GM models of small SUV's and also the Suzuki.
Subsequently, the manufacturing agreement between GM and Suzuki has ceased.

Why some feel the Japanese made vehicles are worth less - I don't know.

Pelaut,
I suppose its all personal preference.

When I was car shopping and noticed a price discrepancy, I was told that the lower priced car was Japanese made and therefore priced less.

The car I bought was made in Tillsonburg Canada on the assembly line for all the GM models of small SUV's and also the Suzuki.
Subsequently, the manufacturing agreement between GM and Suzuki has ceased.

WW:

Ingersoll Canada, Cami plant not in Tillsonburg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm from London , originally, what do I know???
Stupid error, sorry.

You can explain to everybody how close the two are.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi thank you for all input.

Well I had several cars here, and my experience is that regardless what you buy it will sooner or later have problem. Yes, I heard about quality problem with Doge, but then I had A Toyota Camry here that was the worst car ever...

So, parts for Dodge Caliber? Any experiences?

So, parts for Pontiac Vibe? Any experiences?

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009

That's not exactly the case, people here for some unknown reason prefer Japanese made vehicles, that were made for the American market, isntead of the same vehicle made for the Japanese market. Thus, that's why the one made for the American market is usually more expensive.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's not exactly the case, people here for some unknown reason prefer Japanese made vehicles, that were made for the American market, isntead of the same vehicle made for the Japanese market. Thus, that's why the one made for the American market is usually more expensive.

That may be right .. the Japanese made 'export' models are looked down upon here.

I just stay away from those US auto auction vehicles.... just trouble IMO..... my car had 3 marbetas on it when I bought it and full records from SDMotors.... and 6 months warranty left on it.........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am sorry to bring this technical discussion to the bottom level but damn, those both cars are so ugly!

Jan 9, 2004

DR Mpe:

The 2007 Dodge Caliber is the worst of all the Dodge Calibers. The problems identified over the years include, suspension, brakes, cooling, climate system (think A/C). The Caliber is not a very well designed vehicle and the 2007 was the worst.

I would avoid it.

The vibe has a much better track record...perhaps because of its Toyota drivetrain. If those were my only two choices, it would be the vibe by a wide margin.

Clarifying a bit more about Japanese vehicles in the DR, it is the Japanese vehicles made for the Japanese market that are considered less valuable. The reason for this is the right hand drive conversion that needs to take place before they can be driven in the DR. There was a ban on importing all Japanese right hand drive vehicles, but it may have been lifted.

To further clarify, there are two types of American market Japanese cars. Those actually made in the US, for the US market, and those made in Japan for the US market. By way of example, the Toyota Corolla is built in Japan for the US market and shipped here. Toyota also makes the Camry, and other models in the US, to be sold in the US.

DR dealers will pay less for an import vehicle made in Japan and also originally sold there, the right hand drive being the reason....but there are other subtle differences in control placement, interior room, etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
DR Mpe:

The 2007 Dodge Caliber is the worst of all the Dodge Calibers. The problems identified over the years include, suspension, brakes, cooling, climate system (think A/C). The Caliber is not a very well designed vehicle and the 2007 was the worst.

I would avoid it.

The vibe has a much better track record...perhaps because of its Toyota drivetrain. If those were my only two choices, it would be the vibe by a wide margin.

Playacaribe2

Thank you very much for the info! You seem to know what you are talking about :) So which car/suv would you recommend? Well, you know the Caliber and Vibe, so you basically know what "type" of car/suv I want. Your info would ve very much appreciated. :)