Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying a Dodge Caliber 2007 in DR? Good idea?

Read somewhere that some parts are Mitsubishis, then it should be easy to find. True, or are the parts difficult to find and expensive?

Pontiac Vibe, another alternative. Twin with Toyota Matrix, all Toyota Corolla parts... Great!

Any input/experiences on what to buy and not to buy?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Mpe View Post
    Read somewhere that some parts are Mitsubishis, then it should be easy to find. True, or are the parts difficult to find and expensive?

Pontiac Vibe, another alternative. Twin with Toyota Matrix, all Toyota Corolla parts... Great!

stay away from the Vibe. pontiac has closed down, and not all the sheetmetal is the same as Matrix.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Stay with what they actually sell new here in the dealerships.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    stay away from the Vibe. pontiac has closed down, and not all the sheetmetal is the same as Matrix.
    Sheetmetal is an easy fix here..,parts, transmission, and motor are harder...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Stay with what they actually sell new here in the dealerships.
    Hmmmm and If I cannot afford that? Continue with Guaguas?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Either that or get used to importing spare parts. Can be done.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never buy a Dodge, in the dr or anywhere else.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

THen buy used.... just make sure the car is an export model and was shipped here new, not as a used US vehicle.
    Thats what I did..... you can tell by how many marbetas are on the windshield.

You'll have service records too.

I prefer SD for car shopping, contrary to many opinions here.
    Bigger city,better prices, less miles, more local vehicles..... Moca seems to be the 'import' capital, SD is the capital.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy only Japanese made cars made in Japan for the American market (NOT made in US, Malysia, etc., for the Japanese, Mexican or whatever market),
    and freshly imported from the US auction lots never roaded in the DR (Doms don't change oil, etc.).

Toyota or Mitsubishi have good used (fresh from Mexican chop shop) parts everywhere cheap and shade tree mechanics can fix them up better than dealers.
    The VIN tells it all, and there's a metal tag in the driver's door jam that also has info.

Example: Mitsubishis can be made in Malyasia (Indo, Aus) knock down plants for the right hand drive market. If they have an inventory problem in their smaller RHD markets they dump the excess after LH conversion. You can tell because the signals and wiper collective controls are reversed. That's not all! All the under-facia plumbing can be a nightmare of rare reversed molded parts.

Vibe? Further to GORGON's post, the Vibe will suffer from weird parts (Frankenstein sourcing of goods to the line from any vendor/make in order to remain competitive with the homeboys in Japan — as well as the obvious disadvantage of American "workmanship".

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Pelaut,
    I suppose its all personal preference.

When I was car shopping and noticed a price discrepancy, I was told that the lower priced car was Japanese made and therefore priced less.

The car I bought was made in Tillsonburg Canada on the assembly line for all the GM models of small SUV's and also the Suzuki.
    Subsequently, the manufacturing agreement between GM and Suzuki has ceased.

Why some feel the Japanese made vehicles are worth less - I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast