HB travels to Sosua--interesting day

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good afternoon.

Today I went to visit Rocky (Marc) at Rocky's Blues Bar in Sosua, for some very wonderful technical help on my laptop. We switched out the old spinner harddrive and put in a new solid state hard drive...done well, and he added a gigabit of RAM also.

No kidding around: This guy is a real gem with computers....(Hint--he hates cologne/perfume and he loves brownies!)

While in Sosua, I walked over to the Cafe Cubano and made the acquaintance of Brian Ramsay, the owner. Folks and especially Cigar Folks???????--This guy is for real and has the HB seal of approval. The cigars he sells are legit and he knows whereof he speaketh!! I bought two beautiful sticks that I had not seen in ages...

Brian is to be congratulated on running a Class Operation. If you are a cigar aficionado, or someone asked you to bring back some cigars, this is the place to go.

Prices are reasonable. Yes, maybe you could do better on a cigar auction site, or at JR's place, but if you want to buy a couple of really nice cigars for a friend--Opus X or Aurora Preferidos, or Cubans--this is a good place to spend your money and get honest product. There is no place like this in Santiago--the place in Gran Almirante does not have Cubans!! (not that I have seen--so if they have some now let me know)

On the way up to Sosua, I stopped at an old favorite: " Donde Meca" which for many decades has made some of the best longaniza in the world. Her daughters and sons now have a place there called Parada GOYA. Not big, no huge sign. Coming from POP it is on the left after you pass the entrance to the 27 Falls...maybe 300 yards as you go down the grade. Place is called Quebrada Honda. Unfortunately they have become very religious and no longer provide beer!! They will give you a free coffee or tea and for RD$10 pesos you can put cremora in it...Longaniza is RD$200 a pound and is very good.

Years ago I used to stop there with my wife and family and have some platanos and pork...mmmmmmm!! And lots of good cold beer...

The highway has gone to he!!, no other way to mention it. There are potholes at some horrible spots, in the shade and on curves. And they want to charge for using it>? Gimme a break! A major upkeep is in order. Maybe the new guy in Obras Publicas will get his finger out and do some repairs???

That's it for now!!

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good afternoon.

Today I went to visit Rocky (Marc) at Rocky's Blues Bar in Sosua, for some very wonderful technical help on my laptop. We switched out the old spinner harddrive and put in a new solid state hard drive...done well, and he added a gigabit of RAM also.

No kidding around: This guy is a real gem with computers....(Hint--he hates cologne/perfume and he loves brownies!)

While in Sosua, I walked over to the Cafe Cubano and made the acquaintance of Brian Ramsay, the owner. Folks and especially Cigar Folks???????--This guy is for real and has the HB seal of approval. The cigars he sells are legit and he knows whereof he speaketh!! I bought two beautiful sticks that I had not seen in ages...

Brian is to be congratulated on running a Class Operation. If you are a cigar aficionado, or someone asked you to bring back some cigars, this is the place to go.

Prices are reasonable. Yes, maybe you could do better on a cigar auction site, or at JR's place, but if you want to buy a couple of really nice cigars for a friend--Opus X or Aurora Preferidos, or Cubans--this is a good place to spend your money and get honest product. There is no place like this in Santiago--the place in Gran Almirante does not have Cubans!! (not that I have seen--so if they have some now let me know)

On the way up to Sosua, I stopped at an old favorite: " Donde Meca" which for many decades has made some of the best longaniza in the world. Her daughters and sons now have a place there called Parada GOYA. Not big, no huge sign. Coming from POP it is on the left after you pass the entrance to the 27 Falls...maybe 300 yards as you go down the grade. Place is called Quebrada Honda. Unfortunately they have become very religious and no longer provide beer!! They will give you a free coffee or tea and for RD$10 pesos you can put cremora in it...Longaniza is RD$200 a pound and is very good.

Years ago I used to stop there with my wife and family and have some platanos and pork...mmmmmmm!! And lots of good cold beer...

The highway has gone to he!!, no other way to mention it. There are potholes at some horrible spots, in the shade and on curves. And they want to charge for using it>? Gimme a break! A major upkeep is in order. Maybe the new guy in Obras Publicas will get his finger out and do some repairs???

That's it for now!!

HB

I'm really very sorry that I missed you H.B. I'm only a three minute drive from Rockys as I've told you. We could have talked and worked some things out to help the kids and settle up. Too bad that you didn't have my email, phone and PM to contact me. Maybe another time.

I KNOW about the pot holes in the shade while driving that road. Remember..., I did two round trips with a loaded trailer and it was a major challange but I managed and met my goal and kept my promise and delivered.

Nice that you got your puter fixed and to bad that we didn't meet up. Next time?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Me too HB, sorry to have missed you. We could have had a cold drink together and talked a bit more about the orphanage where you are engaged in now and together with Ringo who has already visited the orphanage. We would love to have some more information but maybe you had a full day planned already. Never mind. We have the frisbees shortly coming to us (thank you WW for that!) and once we have them, we will come to Santiago and have a fun afternoon with the kids teaching them to throw a frisbee. As usual, we will bring Acira with us who is the sweetest Malinois there is and the kids can throw for her and she and the kids will have a blast. Is there a terrain nearby that can be used for that?
PM me or Belgiank in order to set this up with the orphanage. Thx

Acira

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ringo...I am sorry! I was dealing with a frozen computer that would not boot. I was literally scared I had lost it! I was not thinking, and even if I had remembered, I could not get your number, or anything because I could not get into my computer!!

Please do not think I have forgotten your efforts!! My goodness no! I can't imagine what you went through with that big trailer and those d@mn holes. I am amazed that something did not break.

Absolutely...if you want, I will go up there tomorrow for a minute or two...

Cordially,

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My problem Peter is that I probably have too much on my plate.
Four groups at the University, my regular occupations, and the little I
can do with the orphanage.

Unfortunately, the orphanage is run by a board of directors and they have to decide these things.
1) Way to go and Rick at Rocky's want to sponsor a day/
2) Ringo invited them to a riding session and a pool party
3) You and Acira have put on or will put on demonstrations for them/or a visit (there is no room there but we could get the ball field and have a real party for the neighbors!)

I cannot order any of these things to take place. All I do is tell them the offers are on the table. They all have issues, of course.

Thanks to all and be patient, remember this is the DR and NOTHING is ever like it should be.

I wish it were...

HB

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
HB,
I have been touting Cafe Cubano and Brian as well as the previous owner Rod for years. The best ligit cigar place on the north coast.
BObK

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
HB,
I have been touting Cafe Cubano and Brian as well as the previous owner Rod for years. The best ligit cigar place on the north coast.
BObK

Totally vouch the above, he spent like 30 minutes going through all the cigars with my wife and I after we had lunch at his place. It was very nice because he knew upfront I wasn't a smoker so it wasn't even motivated by potential sales. He just genuinely loves talking about cigars and we found it very interesting.