Changes in Immigration to Canada as of Oct.26 2012

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Unfortunately it won't cut down on marriage fraud. Here in the USA they have conditional PR for newlyweds and it hasn't cut down on marriage fraud. People just stay married until they get the Permanent PR.

The Canadian government asked Canadians for feed back and I said the same thing. I'm old enough to have lived through many immigration changes so I know that a true scammer will do whatever it takes.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Unfortunately in the US once the government has issued permanent residence (not conditional) to someone it is highly unlikely that even if evidence is presented after the fact that the marriage was a "sham" will they do a revocation of the permanent residence. Marriage fraud after the fact is pretty low on the totem pole so to speak for them. I too have known people to stay married long enough to obtain permanent residence status. Immigration in the US is not how do you say, very consistent. What one gets away with another one won't. Anna is right on the mark, a true scammer will do whatever is needed to scam the system and possibly (more than likely) the person they married.