A couple questions before my vacation...

PASSPORTLOVER

Oct 28, 2012
I'll be traveling for a quick trip to the Cortecito area of Punta Cana.

I was wondering are there any beach clubs we could pay for daily access to their beaches and facilities? We used one of these clubs in Jamaica.

Also, I'd like to do a nice dinner at the condo and would like to hire a chef to come cook for the family. Does anyone have any recommendations or know any company I could contact for those services?
Lastly, is there anything I should know or must do in Punta Cana?
Thanks a lot!

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
I'll be traveling for a quick trip to the Cortecito area of Punta Cana.
I was wondering are there any beach clubs we could pay for daily access to their beaches and facilities?...Lastly, is there anything I should know or must do in Punta Cana?
All-Inclusive hotels generally sell "day passes" and sometimes night passes, or day+night passes that might be equivalent to what you want...it includes use of most facilities INCLUDING most/all restaurants and bars (all inclusive)...However in the "low" season the prices you get from certain tour operators for a room in certain AI resorts may actually be lower than what the resort would charge for a day pass...so check that just in case.

The cortecito beach is fine, but not quite at the same level of the ORIGINAL (true) Bavaro beach (the one by the huge Barcelo complex which is adjacent to the true Cortesito beach)...The beach itself is technically open to everyone, so check it out... You may try walking along the beach from Bavaro to Cabeza de Toro (where Natura Park and others are) by walking in front of one of the few large properties in that area that have not yet been developed.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
kinda depends on what facilities you want.

Yes, you can buy a day pass at one of the A.I.'s

You can also enter the beach at el Pulpo Cojo restaruant... no fee, sit on their chairs, etc. Can order from the bar and restaurant, (although the price for a Presidente seems to go up every time I'm there. lol). Can use their "facilities", as in ba?os.

You can sit on the beach at Tiki Bar, use their chairs for a small fee. Small bar there, and "facilities" also.

You can sit on the beach at Bamboo Bar, order from bar/restaurant. "Facilities" there also. (Get a pitcher of great sangria there and enjoy the view!!!)

If you're looking for more extensive facilities than just beach chairs and "facilities", I think the A.I.s are your only option.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
In my experience the A.I.s do not sell day or night passes on the open market. They will sell to an existing guest who wants to invite someone to spend the afternoon or evening. Just a heads-up.
If you're staying in el Cortecito, you have easy access to the beach and if you don't mind lying on the beach (no beachchair)
just be sure to have a large towel or two. You can generally find a nice section of beach within walking distance. A cooler would be a nice touch too for all those "cenizas".

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
In my experience the A.I.s do not sell day or night passes on the open market. They will sell to an existing guest who wants to invite someone to spend the afternoon or evening. Just a heads-up.
If you're staying in el Cortecito, you have easy access to the beach and if you don't mind lying on the beach (no beachchair)
just be sure to have a large towel or two. You can generally find a nice section of beach within walking distance. A cooler would be a nice touch too for all those "cenizas".

This is bad information, most AI's will sell anybody a day or night pass with cash. It is a source of revenue.
Why would they turn down business, it's a win-win for them, they only feed you, no need for a room or housekeeping.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I also agree with Tambo. The A.I.'s DO sell day passes, (and night passes). Also, there's no reason to sit in the sand unless you want to. Places I listed have beach chairs, tables, loungers, etc. I'm sure there must be other places as well.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
But they ain't cheap. $65 for an afternoon inside their gates sounds pretty steep to me, but then I barely ever oay that for a night in a motel in the USA unless I'm in the Boston area.
It is not an afternoon, but a day pass...Are you considering food and drinks? The daypass holders are entitled to all or the vast majority of goods and services any normal guest is, except a room obviously...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Most of the A.I's sell passes for either the day or evening depending on the time you would like. Like the above post it pretty much includes use of the all facilities except a room and use of their ala-carte restaurants. I have seen them from anywhere around $60.00 to $85.00.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
But they ain't cheap. $65 for an afternoon inside their gates sounds pretty steep to me, but then I barely ever oay that for a night in a motel in the USA unless I'm in the Boston area.
Der Fish

Agreed. Actually, I didn't know it was that expensive. Not sure what you're getting for that much dinero... I don't see how it could be worth it. Some mediocre food, a seat on the beach (if you can find a chair that hasn't been "saved" -- which is supposedly against the rules), a seat by the pool (same situation as beach chairs), ... the only thing left is booze, so you better "drink up" while you're there, 'cause $65 buys a lot of drinks at any bar.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Agreed. Actually, I didn't know it was that expensive. Not sure what you're getting for that much dinero... I don't see how it could be worth it. Some mediocre food, a seat on the beach (if you can find a chair that hasn't been "saved" -- which is supposedly against the rules), a seat by the pool (same situation as beach chairs), ... the only thing left is booze, so you better "drink up" while you're there, 'cause $65 buys a lot of drinks at any bar.
Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion...day passes are certainly not mandatory...a lot of people do buy them, though...To me it seems that US$65 for access to all facilities in an entire resort including all-you-can eat buffets, and all-you-can-drink bars for a day is worth it...Spending an extended period of time at a public beach is not an experience for everyone...lack of facilities plus all that comes with being in a place that is totally open to EVERYONE may not be pleasant.

A day pass can also cost a lot more than US$65 depending on the resort...But as pointed out above, especially in the low season, one might be able to get a room at certain resorts from certain sources for less than the normal cost of a day pass at the same resort (or at other resorts)...then again it is difficult to get a good rate for a single night...especially on weekends...If the difference in price is too small, one is probably better off by taking the room for an entire 24 hrs. period at the same or a different resort... a better deal.

Feb 20, 2011
Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion...day passes are certainly not mandatory...a lot of people do buy them, though...To me it seems that US$65 for access to all facilities in an entire resort including all-you-can eat buffets, and all-you-can-drink bars for a day is worth it...Spending an extended period of time at a public beach is not an experience for everyone...lack of facilities plus all that comes with being in a place that is totally open to EVERYONE may not be pleasant.

A day pass can also cost a lot more than US$65 depending on the resort...But as pointed out above, especially in the low season, one might be able to get a room at certain resorts from certain sources for less than the normal cost of a day pass at the same resort (or at other resorts)...then again it is difficult to get a good rate for a single night...especially on weekends...If the difference in price is too small, one is probably better off by taking the room for an entire 24 hrs. period at the same or a different resort... a better deal.

Totally agree with this; I don't really need the room but on some weekends rent one anyway at the Barcelo Dominican Beach.
Of course it depends on the season but have paid as little as 80.00 for the room.

It's a change of scenery from the the public beach, don't have to carry money around (except for some change for tips), have all day and all night free drinks and food, pool and beach facilities plus free access (and drinks) at the disco at night.

And actually the room comes in handy as I can change there after the day at the pool/beach and get ready for the evening without having to walk back to my condo.

Wouldn't want to do that all the time but once in a while it's a good option.