Roof filtration/how big of a problem is it with flat roofs in DR

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Im used to the sloped roofs in the US where filtration isn't an issue. How likely or rather, how often does this problem happen for houses in the DR? What about for a new construction? In other words, is it common for your roof to filter rain water even if you applied a coat of sealant to the roof?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
If you apply a proper sealant it lasts for 5 years I think. If you are cheap like my mom you never apply the sealant since you are always out of the country anyways, and your roof begins to filtrate and eventually cracks will start to form.. Do not ignore applying proper sealant.

I apply sealant every 2-3 years to my house since it's not too expensive and I have never had an issue. When it does arise, you will start to see your paint cracking first, good luck!

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
If you apply a proper sealant it lasts for 5 years I think. If you are cheap like my mom you never apply the sealant since you are always out of the country anyways, and your roof begins to filtrate and eventually cracks will start to form.. Do not ignore applying proper sealant.

I apply sealant every 2-3 years to my house since it's not too expensive and I have never had an issue. When it does arise, you will start to see your paint cracking first, good luck!

Thanks! So basically, if someone is applying sealeant for you and rain is still flitrating, does this mean they are not applying it correctly?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks! So basically, if someone is applying sealeant for you and rain is still flitrating, does this mean they are not applying it correctly?

I'd assume so, maybe they skipped a step, like the primer, or missed areas on the roof?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Is this a hypothetical question or do you have a problem with filtration after sealant applied?

If the latter, and you are paying somebody to seal the roof, what guarantee did he give you?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Is this a hypothetical question or do you have a problem with filtration after sealant applied?

If the latter, and you are paying somebody to seal the roof, what guarantee did he give you?
It is the latter; im paying someone to build my house and I have a family member staying over. About a month ago the roof was filtering water and I called the engineer to let him know of this issue. He supposedly got it sealed. Yesterday I spoke to the guy staying over my house and he tells me there is still water filtering through the roof. That is basically the run down.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Well, at first yeah when he said the workers applied it; sincerely, I think he didn't see them apply it and is/was relying on what they told him they did, in which he relaid it back to me.

I hope you still owe him some money.

Keep on the engineer. If you have paid him tell him it is his job to have it done right. If the engineer is overseeing the construction of the house, don't make the final agreed to payment until sure the roof is sealed properly (and all other problems are corrected).

Getting people back after they have all their money is a lot more difficult, and less likely, than when you are holding money they want.

Dec 26, 2011
I think he didn't see them apply it and is/was relying on what they told him they did

If this is the case, that he told you it was done without first-hand knowledge that it was done and his personal inspection that it was done properly, fire him.

“One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much.- Luke 16:10

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If this is the case, that he told you it was done without first-hand knowledge that it was done and his personal inspection that it was done properly, fire him.

Firing the guy who is building your house because roof not sealed properly accomplishes what? You not only have to get somebody else to seal the roof, you also have to get somebody to finish the house.

Pressing the engineer to do a proper job of sealing the roof and not making final payment until all work is done satisfactorily, including roof, is the way it should be handled.

Dec 26, 2011
Firing the guy who is building your house because roof not sealed properly accomplishes what? You not only have to get somebody else to seal the roof, you also have to get somebody to finish the house.

Pressing the engineer to do a proper job of sealing the roof and not making final payment until all work is done satisfactorily, including roof, is the way it should be handled.

What else is he cutting corners on?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I had a flat roof and I know people that had and have a flat roof and they are a big problem because they don't drain right, they all have low spots and if you give water enough time it will find a way through . in the Us they would propably be pitched to the center to a roof drain and tared and gravel would be applied.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The "engineer" is Dominican. The workers? Most likely Haitian.

True, the people who do the labor have nothing to do with the quality of the work, the "engineer" is responsible for that.. On that note, who the hell is giving away all the "ingeniero", "doctor", "licensiado", "abogado" titles in the DR lately?

Dec 26, 2011
True, the people who do the labor have nothing to do with the quality of the work, the "engineer" is responsible for that.. On that note, who the hell is giving away all the "ingeniero", "doctor", "licensiado", "abogado" titles in the DR lately?

I could have written that post myself. :)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
well, my roof is 80% sloped and 20% flat. No filtration problems until now (except for a small flat-roofed shack (is that the word?) and the awnings around the house. Anyway when I moved in I had everything painted, including the roof and had it a sealing applied. When months later I had a problem with the tinaco and went up the roof to check it, I noticed those morons applied the sealing and painted the sloped parts of the roof (visible from the ground) but not the flat parts. They just didn't even touch those. Where the most risk of filtration is (even though happily the flat parts are slightly sloped and have a good drain to the ground).

Lesson learned: check the work that they are promising to do, even if that means I have to climb that ladder (im not a hero climbing 'heights').

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thread is slowly moving towards Dominicans doing shoddy work in 3.. 2...

wow. obsessed much?

re the roof: from what i understand flat roofs often have problems. the issue is that once the roof is leaking, has a crack or filtration it is difficult to fix it and it is not enough to seal it. you should have it checked well because it is easy here to have mold/fungus to set in. you may have to treat it with some chemicals to prevent the future damage inside.

what they do here sometimes is to seal the roof with tar (at least i think this is a correct name in english). you put sheets of special material (black), seal the seams with tar and voila. also done back home, in poland. but it makes inside of the house quite hot.

we have a sloped roof but miesposos is so crazy about maintenance he has it painted with this rubber like coat, every 2-3 years. we do not have and never did have any filtration issues with the roof.

i would suggest you take action ASAP before you have some jolly nice flora growing on your walls...

and sayanora, actually there is a dominican guy doing our roof today. the only bad thing i have to say about him is that he ate not only everything i made for him but also all leftovers i have saved for tomorrow's lunch :) buen provecho!