how can i reduce my costs?

f.borgia

Oct 29, 2012
hello,

I will live annual half a year in the Dominican Republic.

my personal costs of my last stays in the d.r have been very high, so how
can i generally reduce the costs of living

would appreciate all kind of tips??

a few more informations about me:

- in general i dont will live on a tight budget, but well all is relative and it depends on your personal costs.

- I will live ( but lending rate payable monthly, 1700 dollars) with my wife, dog and possibly a future child in a house

- I'm going to finance a suv ( again lending rates , 600 dollars)

I would be happy if my entire monthly cost be no more than 4500.

1700 home loan
600 car credit
300 wife ( salon etc..)
100 dog

400 home-related costs ( aqua, internet etcc)
300 food supermarket
400 petrol
500 fun
200 doctor
150 haitian

=4650

the problem is that in my homecountry i also have some monthly costs.

regards

flo

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Have fun with the dog, save 500, spoil the haitian and add a little on supermarket. What kind of fun you have in mind, if its cost more than supermarket

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Spending that much on everything else and then paying the haitian 150$ is just asking for trouble..

f.borgia

Oct 29, 2012
fun is just general lifestyle stuff, like going to eat, spend a day at the beach or mountains, cinema etc..

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would say you are paying too much for the house and the car and not enough for the food. A decent House and car can probably be had for US1000 for both.

As far as having anyone living with you I wouldn't use them unless you know where they live and they have references. Personally I wouldn't let anyone live with us but an older lady.

BTW, I live in Santiago with my wife and 3 daughters (in school) and am living off of US1500 a month but I have no house nor car payment.

f.borgia

Oct 29, 2012
the haitian just helps my wife to take the bags after supermarket, some work in the garden, take a walk with the dog etc.

and the haitian dont live in my house. he is just there about 5-8 hours daily.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Keep the Dog

hello,

I will live annual half a year in the Dominican Republic.

my personal costs of my last stays in the d.r have been very high, so how
can i generally reduce the costs of living

would appreciate all kind of tips??

a few more informations about me:

- in general i dont will live on a tight budget, but well all is relative and it depends on your personal costs.

- I will live ( but lending rate payable monthly, 1700 dollars) with my wife, dog and possibly a future child in a house

- I'm going to finance a suv ( again lending rates , 600 dollars)

I would be happy if my entire monthly cost be no more than 4500.

1700 home loan
600 car credit
300 wife ( salon etc..)
100 dog

400 home-related costs ( aqua, internet etcc)
300 food supermarket
400 petrol
500 fun
200 doctor
150 haitian

=4650

the problem is that in my homecountry i also have some monthly costs.

regards

flo

Unless you have not just leased the "wife" you could live without one.
>> no salon, less food, smaller home.

As you can obviously not afford to buy a SUV, forget about a car. Use guaguas and 'conchos' instead.
>> no car credit

Home loan?
You are better off renting.

Make sure the Haitian is good in 'voodoo'.
Pay him more than you planned and you save on the 'doctor'.

The dog is a must, he'll be your best friend.
Wife is dispensable... in countries and times like these... :bunny:

donP

f.borgia

Oct 29, 2012
thank you chip.

@ belgian, well i have a german shepherd and he eats like an elephant even he is only4 month

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I imagine the "home costs" include all (home, car and medical) insurance, utilities, cable, internet, phone, maintenance, furnishings/appliances, domestic labor, and other miscellaneous costs.

Assuming you haven't already purchased a home, I'd strongly encourage you to consider renting. A little looking around and you should be able to find something quite nice for less than $1000 per month. I'm talking modern, with at least 3 bedrooms, and located in a very nice area.

The prices could go down even further if you moved to the suburbs (moca, jarabacoa), but that would be offset by the need for your own vehicle (which is largely optional in Santiago).

Good luck.

topdeckgames

Oct 26, 2011
wow, a grand a month for transportation. More than my rent, wifi, heat, etc. here in the States. How many concho rides is that?