Mucho cuidado

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
i had rather a frightening experience last week end when it was raining very heavily in zona colonial where I live ..I had a very bad drainage problem and I called my plumber who said he was ill but he would send his brother immediately ..Could I please wait on the corner of my street when he called on the phone as he was unsure of which house i lived in .
The brother called and I went some yards to the corner and saw a strong looking man and asked if he was Jaime and he said yes and so he came in , sat down and then demanded a 1000 pesos and a beer . He was not the plumbers brother .Things were starting to get ugly even though he had his beer when luckily the real brother appeared atthe screen door and I shouted for him to enter , all the time thinking my visitor would produce a pistol ...but no , he just fled with his beer .. After the plumbing work was done , I went topark my car in Jose Reyes car park when all of Zona Colonial was blacked out ..I parked my car on the fourth floor and then in pitch dark walked to 19 de marzo to get back to my home...There were absolutely NO police and there were roaming gangs of youths...luckily I saw a man walking and always turning around just in front and I asked him if we could walk together for security ,,,he readily agreed and no harm came to us.....Be very careful and do not make my error

Sep 4, 2012
Sometimes we asked for the things that we happen to find ourselves in. Glad nothing regrettable happened to you or yours, but please don't ever do that again with anyone, under any circumstances; nevertheless here in DR.

Thanks for posting and warning others!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
So.. boy oh boy the DR is soooo dangerous! I wonder if people do this in their native countries also?

Dec 26, 2011
So.. boy oh boy the DR is soooo dangerous! I wonder if people do this in their native countries also?

In their native countries, the question "Are you so-and-so?" would usually be met with an ignoral or a stare or a "no, I'm sorry". But as you bragged about your peeps being "listo", the Dominican gentleman that was in no way, shape or form, Jaime, thought he'd play along and see what he could get out of the situation.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
In their native countries, the question "Are you so-and-so?" would usually be met with an ignoral or a stare or a "no, I'm sorry". But as you bragged about your peeps being "listo", the Dominican gentleman that was in no way, shape or form, Jaime, thought he'd play along and see what he could get out of the situation.

It would usually be met with the same reaction here, but the OP chose to ask a "strong man" most likely thug that was standing on a street corner, go to the US and do the same and you'll be lucky to get out alive instead of missing 25$ US and a beer.

Dec 26, 2011
It would usually be met with the same reaction here, but the OP chose to ask a "strong man" most likely thug that was standing on a street corner, go to the US and do the same and you'll be lucky to get out alive instead of missing 25$ US and a beer.

I'm outraged! You've just maligned 300 million people!

LOL

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was going to start my own thread but i think i will hijack this one :)

so, miesposo is in santiago. coming back tomorrow. before leaving he brought a guy to do the roof, told me all money was paid, left some cash for emergencies and left. the roof guy did the job, asks me for money. i say no money, all was paid. no, miesposo own him. fine, i call him. i go as far as hello, call drops. i call again - no sufficient funds. now, my phone is a contract/prepaid. i have x number of minutes every month and if i use them up i need a calling card. almost never happens but of course of all days in the year it had to happen today...

anyways, no minutes. i call from home phone to call me back. miesposo calls, argues with the guy and finally tells him to pay him 1000 pesos. all the cash he left me. i paid the guy, he leaves but not without complaints. now i am home alone, no cash, no working cellphone and a ****ed off dude who knows i am home alone, without working cellphone and wads of cash, since i have him a thousand without a blink of an eye.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What about your neighbors, Is there anyone you can trust?

i think that apart from my dogs i am the only sober being on the entire street. it's 9pm, all my neighbours were dead drunk before lunchtime :)

the halfwit i married charged my phone now. but of course no power and the internet comes and goes. the only thing missing is that inversor croaks and i am left here in the pitch black postapocalyptic darkness :)

on the bright side: earlier today when i was having a coffee there was a sudden hiss followed by a loud explosion. and no, it was not the beans i had for lunch ;) turns out there was a gas explosion on the other side of the golf course. a mazda pickup truck, it turns out. now, that's someone's day seriously f**ked. who am i to complain....

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
i had rather a frightening experience last week end when it was raining very heavily in zona colonial where I live ..I had a very bad drainage problem and I called my plumber who said he was ill but he would send his brother immediately ..Could I please wait on the corner of my street when he called on the phone as he was unsure of which house i lived in .
The brother called and I went some yards to the corner and saw a strong looking man and asked if he was Jaime and he said yes and so he came in , sat down and then demanded a 1000 pesos and a beer . He was not the plumbers brother .Things were starting to get ugly even though he had his beer when luckily the real brother appeared atthe screen door and I shouted for him to enter , all the time thinking my visitor would produce a pistol ...but no , he just fled with his beer .. After the plumbing work was done , I went topark my car in Jose Reyes car park when all of Zona Colonial was blacked out ..I parked my car on the fourth floor and then in pitch dark walked to 19 de marzo to get back to my home...There were absolutely NO police and there were roaming gangs of youths...luckily I saw a man walking and always turning around just in front and I asked him if we could walk together for security ,,,he readily agreed and no harm came to us.....Be very careful and do not make my error

Wow..that was a great story! Thanks for sharing! That could have happened to nearly anyone. Just bad timing and right place at the wrong time, or wrong place at the right time...depending on how you look at it. It could easily be made into a movie.

Frank

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

That sounds scary! I hope the guy doesn't come back for more beer or something.