Breast Cancer Awareness...in the DR

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
This is national campaign in the U.S and was wondering if if there was a similar campaign in the DR?

More and more advertisers are concerned and they have chosen the color pink to head start this informational blitz.

Door to Door Avon Sales ladies are now thinking Pink and promoting the Idea.

https://www.google.com/search?q=avo...GB4-88wSAyoHoBA&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=1152&bih=620

I have always said if you are a woman and put your Head into thinking Pink you will survive !

I Will Survive - YouTube

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
last week there was an event in POP: marcha rosada contra cancer.
?xitosa La Caminata Contra El C?ncer en Puerto Plata ~ Jancavacs
REALIZAN CON EXITOS CAMINATA CONTRA EL CANCER EN PUERTO PLATA | Noticias ENN

i know two dominican women who suffered breast cancer. both received treatment and both survived.

i cannot stress the importance of testing. many women (me included) cannot do self test all that well, you always feel a lump inside (mammary gland) so it is imperative to have a good ginecolgo who will perform the manual test EVERY TIME, minimum once visit a year and who will send a woman (after 35 years of age or with breast cancer history in the family) for a mammography. also once a year.

prevention is always better than cure.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think it is not an US thing. I hear October is the world's month for the fight against breast cancer. So you should see similar campaigns everywhere.

Dec 26, 2011

i know two dominican women who suffered breast cancer. both received treatment and both survived.

i cannot stress the importance of testing. many women (me included) cannot do self test all that well, you always feel a lump inside (mammary gland) so it is imperative to have a good ginecolgo who will perform the manual test EVERY TIME, minimum once visit a year and who will send a woman (after 35 years of age or with breast cancer history in the family) for a mammography. also once a year.

Testing and prevention are concepts diametrically opposed to Latino fatalism. The attitude of many that God will call them when their number's up is widespread.

A study was done, all of the subjects Dominican women in the US over forty, to see the relationship between fatalistic thinking and breast cancer prevention efforts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695847/

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is very f**ked up :( :(
dominicanas i know take this stuff super seriously. and the doctor is like god, he says to do the test they do the test. this is why i underlined the importance of a good doctor who will almost force a woman to do tests.
one of my friends contracted HPV from her husband, aged just 21. exactly the type that causes cervical cancer. but she has a good ginecolgo who makes her take smear test every 6 months (instead of once a year or sometimes even once every few years in european countries). so far she is fine but she is saving her life every time she does the test.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

how is breast cancer prevented?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Testing and prevention are concepts diametrically opposed to Latino fatalism. The attitude of many that God will call them when their number's up is widespread.

A study was done, all of the subjects Dominican women in the US over forty, to see the relationship between fatalistic thinking and breast cancer prevention efforts.

Fatalism or Destiny? A Qualitative Study and Interpretative Framework on Dominican Women

It is kind of obvious that you don't live here.. Dominicanas are extremely adamant about getting all of the early detection tests.. some are even obsessed, my aunt goes to Cresa like once a month in Santiago for mammograms and all that stuff even though her doctors says it is annually.

Dec 26, 2011
It is kind of obvious that you don't live here.. Dominicanas are extremely adamant about getting all of the early detection tests.. some are even obsessed, my aunt goes to Cresa like once a month in Santiago for mammograms and all that stuff even though her doctors says it is annually.

I didn't do the study, name it, or write it.

Dec 26, 2011
Did you read it?

Yes. It explains that though there is an entrenched belief in God's will having to do with one's life and health, education has played a role in women taking an proactive approach to their well-being. The study was done because health professionals in many Latin countries have expressed that fatalism presents a challenge in the screening and treatment of disease.

The study found that the women did take an interest in their health, with complex notions of predestination, destiny and fate interwoven into their beliefs.

It's very interesting.

I was married, for fifteen years, to Dominican woman that fit the criteria to be a participant in that study, and yes, she had a cancer scare.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how is breast cancer prevented?

let me rephrase is so that a MAN could understand: cancer caught early is treatable. check ups are preventing early death.

ears ago my mother used to work with a girl, one day she collapsed at work. was taken to the hospital and died 2 weeks later. breast cancer, last stage. she never went to the doctor, not even in the last weeks when she was bleeding from her nipples. should she check thing regularly and have two brain cells together to see why was she in pain she could have lived. she was 26 years old.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We just had a friend operated for breast cancer, in August. She never took the tests, but noticed one breast was becoming larger, so went to the doctor. She was operated on a couple of days later, and had to have the whole breast removed. Reconstruction was no longer possible (they tried, but it was rejected).

She had to have radiation, and still is very tired, and not well at all.

She now regrets heavily for not taking the annual tests.

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
btw, no offence meant to guys. you can do little prevention too :)

[video=youtube;Pu2K4eIqxd4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu2K4eIqxd4[/video]

two of my school friends in poland noticed a small lump on their balls, went to see the doctor ASAP. both had a testicle removed. both are now happy fathers (of boys, funnily enough). they both got sick before 25 years of age. and they both go to have their jewels felt up by another dude, once a year.

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
I agree that the Dominicans take this very seriously, I live in the DR and have a mammary gram etc every year. The pink ribbon campaign has been going on for many years in the UK and I would imagine in other countries too. Last year I purchased pink ribbon items from Avon in the DR