Need Eye Glasses repaired

I have a pair of prescription eyeglasses that broke this morning (the frame is what broke) and I was wondering if there was a place in Sosua, Puerto Plata or Santiago where they could make new lenses using the prescription from the old lenses and put them in new frames, or perhaps if they have frames that can fit the old lenses they can just pop them in. I can't read without them, so any help will be appreciated.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Try the optician opposite "Tropical Supermarket" (on the corner of the street)in Puerto Plata. He fixed my glasses without charge!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have a pair of prescription eyeglasses that broke this morning (the frame is what broke) ......or perhaps if they have frames that can fit the old lenses they can just pop them in........
Can't help with info on where to go but try several shops. Mine broke a few years ago and after trying a few shops I did indeed find a place where they pop the lenses out and pop them into new frames.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I used Miami Optical (I think that's the name) across from Tropical in Puerto Plata. My eyeglasses frame broke, couldn't be fixed, so chose a pair that would take my lens. They did a good job. Easy to get to via public transportation as well.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
multifocals or not?

"plastic" or metal frames"

I used to be an optician/optometrist in Belgium. If they are multi focals, find yourself the cheapest frame possible to put them in, so you have a spare, and order yourself some new ones. It is extremely hard to "pop" in multi focals in a new frame as positioning is extremely important. I doubt you would be happy with the result, but it could make a nice spare.

If they are "plastic", acetate frames, I might be able to help you out, so you have a spare, and you can order new ones.

BelgianK

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
bk, I have a pair of Titanium frames (dark grey)that broke at the bridge of the nose. This is one of the things I was going to try and replace while in Florida. The lenses are Zeiss prescription, progressive and self darkening in the sun, not cheap...........
What would you recommend. Already checked and that exact frame isn't made anymore.

B in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
bk, I have a pair of Titanium frames (dark grey)that broke at the bridge of the nose. This is one of the things I was going to try and replace while in Florida. The lenses are Zeiss prescription, progressive and self darkening in the sun, not cheap...........
What would you recommend. Already checked and that exact frame isn't made anymore.

B in Santiago

First of all, it depends on the brand. Quite a lot of the titanium frame manufacturers give a long warranty on their frames. Check with the manufacturer. Quite a lot of them will give you another frame for free, and give you compensation for the lenses.

I know Zeiss is not cheap, but it is top quality, If people could afford them, I always worked with them.

Unfortunately welding titanium frames is not easy, as you need very high temperatures to do so. In most cases only the manufacturer can do it, and it will cost you about as much as a new frame.

OK, if you are to get new frames, you have 2 options.

Find a frame as similar as possible to your old frame. This means having your lenses punctuated. If they are Zeiss, they will have practically invisible markings (2 round dots, and the center in between, as well as a marking for the reading area of your progressive lenses). Hold them in front of a bright light, wiggle them, and you will see them. A good optician will mark those, to make sure he can fit your lenses into a new frame, with the center between the dots to be exactly at pupil level.

Every optician who sells Zeiss has diagrams of the lenses. Ask him to put the diagram underneath your new frame, and make sure of the following...
- the center of the lens is right in front of your pupil
- you still have all of your reading area (the reading area is about 10 to 15 degrees towards the nose bridge of the frame, and about 15 to 20 mm below the center)

The second option, and the best, is to do the above, but get yourself a new frame and new lenses, and get yourself a nice spare I know expensive, but progressives are a bitch to put into a new frame.

Write the manufacturers before you leave for the US, they probably will help you out.

BelgianK

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The frames are not available anywhere. They were discontinued about a year ago.
I checked everywhere..........
Maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and get all new..........
Hate to discard perfectly good lenses.........

B in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
as i said, write the manufacturer.

and if you want, i will mark your lenses so you know that with a new frame you will get satisfaction.

BelgianK

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Are you in Santiago....
I will also be at Rocky's (Sosua) in a couple of days.........

B in Santiago