Pipe smoking in the DR

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I used to smoke a pipe, I don't anymore but I do not recall ever seeing anyone smoke a pipe in the DR. I haven't even ever seen a shop selling pipe tobacco. What's the true position with this?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I used to smoke a pipe, I don't anymore but I do not recall ever seeing anyone smoke a pipe in the DR. I haven't even ever seen a shop selling pipe tobacco. What's the true position with this?

my 87 year old grandmother in the campo smokes tobacco from a pipe daily

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This practice is definitely disappearing. Nowadays the people you may see doing this are typically 70+ year olds...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Gringo Vice

All true, I have only seen elderly Dominicans smoking a pipe.

Nevertheless, I do like that only very few Dominicans (percentage not known) smoke. :classic:

I found that the ones that do (often sankies, putas, etc.) had adopted the vice from 'gringos'. :mad:

donP

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
All true, I have only seen elderly Dominicans smoking a pipe.

Nevertheless, I do like that only very few Dominicans (percentage not known) smoke. :classic:

I found that the ones that do (often sankies, putas, etc.) had adopted the vice from 'gringos'. :mad:

donP

True...Thanks god smoking is still considered Uncool in The DR. The main reason IMO is that since Dominican guys are all about "the ladies" the fact that they may lose out on a girl because she will not want to kiss you if you have tobacco breath is a big deterrent. Most Dominican guys and girls always want to smell good, have good breath, clean nails, etc...and tobacco obviously affects all of that. I do like the smell of a nice cigar...but not the smoke.

It's very nice to walk into a bar and not have to worry that some douche bag is blowing smoke next to you...

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
True...Thanks god smoking is still considered Uncool in The DR. The main reason IMO is that since Dominican guys are all about "the ladies" the fact that they may lose out on a girl because she will not want to kiss you if you have tobacco breath is a big deterrent. Most Dominican guys and girls always want to smell good, have good breath, clean nails, etc...and tobacco obviously affects all of that. I do like the smell of a nice cigar...but not the smoke.

It's very nice to walk into a bar and not have to worry that some douche bag is blowing smoke next to you...

Not just that.. we also don't enjoy wasting money on things that .. you know.. kill us?