Playa grande golf

MMMK

Dec 4, 2011
Greetings everyone,

Heading to POP next week with some friends and have never played Playa Grande. When i do searches most of what comes back is quite dated. Can anyone tell me if the course is still being maintained properly and if its worth the trip? Also, are the prices on the website still accurate? thx

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
We were in Rio San Juan in July & drove by the golf course several times. What a beautiful place it is. Also we talked with someone who works there. We aren't golfers so we weren't really into finding out if it was open but it must be as the gates were open etc.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Awesome course. Worth the trip. The pebble beach of the Caribbean. The grass is very dense and you don't get much roll. I went on a package, 150.00 U.S, with lunch. The drive down from P.O.P on the other hand will test your nerves. Its about 1 and 1/2 hours give or take

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
rated in 10 ten in carr. and mexico

next week i will play punta espada at #1, teeth of the dog at #3 and corales at #12
this course is rated above corales at #8 and I have played other courses not in DR on this list of top courses
enjoy your round of golf at this great place
dd

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I know the staff will tell me everything is great. I guess i was kind of hoping for an unbiased opinion from someone who has played there recently. Anyone?

PM tflea, pretty sure he will be able to give you an update.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know the staff will tell me everything is great. I guess i was kind of hoping for an unbiased opinion from someone who has played there recently. Anyone?

I live about 6 minutes from there.... that girl will give you the straight goods
However,
Yes, they are spending more money on the course... new equipment, etc.

It will be redesigned to allow for the new projecto... that will begin in Jan 2013

It is definitely a course to play.... especially if you want to see the before/after.

I had beers w/ the Trent/Reese Jones group when they were rerouting the holes....this is a full fledged makeover which will protect the integrity of the course/design/intent.

As it sits today, a very nice dowager.... good bones/structure in need of a sugar daddy.
EXCELLENT vistas.

And that Sweet Daddy Siki has arrived.

Remember this interesting artifact....
Rob't T Jones designed this course in the 1970's and loved it.
Designed for the RD gov't... on their land.

Typically, Rd didn't plough the land until the early 1990's.

What you have here is a 70's course, built in the 90's, that was the LAST Rob't T Jones course EVER built.

In Canada, I play/grew up on one of his -- London Ontario.

So, not unbiased - but an opinion.

Live it up....... you'll have fun

Buy me a beer

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Awesome course. Worth the trip. The pebble beach of the Caribbean. The grass is very dense and you don't get much roll. I went on a package, 150.00 U.S, with lunch. The drive down from P.O.P on the other hand will test your nerves. Its about 1 and 1/2 hours give or take

I have not been there for a few years. The $150 price sounds like the price charged by the Playa Dorado group for the trip. You can get a much better rate than that.

MMMK

Dec 4, 2011
I live about 6 minutes from there.... that girl will give you the straight goods
However,
Yes, they are spending more money on the course... new equipment, etc.

It will be redesigned to allow for the new projecto... that will begin in Jan 2013

It is definitely a course to play.... especially if you want to see the before/after.

I had beers w/ the Trent/Reese Jones group when they were rerouting the holes....this is a full fledged makeover which will protect the integrity of the course/design/intent.

As it sits today, a very nice dowager.... good bones/structure in need of a sugar daddy.
EXCELLENT vistas.

And that Sweet Daddy Siki has arrived.

Remember this interesting artifact....
Rob't T Jones designed this course in the 1970's and loved it.
Designed for the RD gov't... on their land.

Typically, Rd didn't plough the land until the early 1990's.

What you have here is a 70's course, built in the 90's, that was the LAST Rob't T Jones course EVER built.

In Canada, I play/grew up on one of his -- London Ontario.

So, not unbiased - but an opinion.

Live it up....... you'll have fun

Buy me a beer

Sounds good. We will definitely try to make it out there for a round. thanks for the info

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Played there 2 weeks ago. Greens were bit out of shape compared to their usual, but the same staggeringly beautiful views. Hole locations, on the
few that will change, won't start remodeling until January per the lead architect who was at the 19th hole. 9 holes will be
closed, redone, then the other 9. He said the process would take a couple of years to complete.
It's an old story, about firm dates, but work has been almost completed on the beach area make-over and the first villa is complete on fairway #2.
The old hotel is history and there IS work going on.
Well worth a trip before things change. Ask for the resident's rate; can't hurt to try even if you're not a resident.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
T,
Those greens will all be reseeded... no point working on them now.
New grasses and traps - they say - even drainage !!! WOW!

Yes, a 2 year project, yes , its going ahead.

12 will be reversed (last I heard), 13 green moved to allow for the hotel - out to the dog's leg turn.
Reminiscent of #1 at MidOcean Bda.... an approach shot to the blue sky over the water.
14 = gone

I forget the rest.

Anyway, it will be good when its done

Fore !!

NEED UPDATE ! going to Dom Rep in 3 weeks and would like to play Playa Grande. Is the course open and playable now ?

My husband and friends will be golfing, but I would like to spend the day on a nearby beach. can anyone suggest a beach that I will be able to get onto (without being a hotel guest, condo renter, etc) ?? I know they are all public, but sometime the hotels block entrances and won't let you on their property without being a guest. If I remember correctly, you can't get to the beach from the golf course because of the cliffs.

Thanks for your advice in advance !

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Check their website .. BUT...

9 holes only - front nine..... work started this week...

Beach is nearby.... golf might be a challenge....

Call them to confirm......