STOCK MARKET IN D.R.?

U

UPGRADE2BLACK

DO THE D.R. HAVE A STOCKMARKET? IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME A LITTLE INFO ON IT I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THAT. THANX...

O

Onions and carrots

I actively daytrade the E mini Nasdaq and some agricultural futures contracts in the US. Sometimes as a hedger to offset my gramps production costs and sometimes strictly for profit. The DR doesn't have anything like the US. I did my homework and found out they have a fixed short term debt instruments like DR1 is talking about.There is no equities market with fluctuating prices. I wouldn't personally recommend it.Its like putting money in the bank and after a period of time,say a couple of months you get a return on your money.There are 2 reputable firms in the DR but can't remember who they are.
I guess thats better than opening up a business in the DR.Of course you are subject to the risks associated with investing in the 3rd World.
Of course people are going to tell you that in the last x amount of years the DR hasn't defaulted on any of this stuff.But remember past performance isn't indicative of future results.
Some political or currency fluctuations as have frequently occurred in the past and you're toast.If I were you keep your money in the US and do your homework along the lines of mutual funds or tax lien certificates. Maybe some munibonds etc. I am not involved in that as daytrading consumes a portion of my time yet allows the luxury of talkin to you guys while I'm in the US.But if you do your homework you can find comparable returns like Jim Hinsch is talkin about in the US with the safety of this countries financial laws.
Wish the best and hope you listen

D

DR1

Investing in commercial paper in the DR is secured by bank brokerage houses. If the company defaults, which has not happened yet, the bank pays. Thus, there is very little risk.

Regarding investing in the DR.... Yes, there is a higher risk than in the US, but also there is a much higher profit spread. The Spanish hotel companies have made more millions here than they could have ever imagined, nor could ever make in the US compared to the investment. US, Canadian, French companies investing in the telecom industries have done extremely well.

Lots of people have made lots of money here. Just look at all the luxury four-wheel vehicles that circulate on city streets. Most of the owners do not have 9 to 5 pm jobs, they operate their own businesses. It is a matter of studying the market and having a flexible business strategy to keep up with new developments.

O

Onions and carrots

The amount of luxury vehicles is a poor indicator of wealth. DR1 you well know that Dominicans will flaunt and starve just to show off what they can't afford. Yesterday's latest report is that GNP figures are 0.7% growth. Off by 1% from forecasts and the worst in 8 years. Also The Michigan Setiment showed that consumer confidence was also down from a month ago.Industrial production is the worst in 10 years. JDS Uniphase posted the worst loss in US history with 50 billion dollars. Company after compnay showing earnings less than forecasted.Unemployment claims up month after month. We are in a recession and 7 fed cuts have not done a thing. Japan has 0 % interest rates and they continue going down.The world economy is slipping towards deflation and liquidity crisis. How long do you think before the DR suffers a serious setback?

J

Joachim

Question for Onions and Carrots?

Explain why Dominicans would starve to show off what they cant afford. I have seen Dominicans not eat so that they can buy the latest fashion. What would make sane people do this?

O

Onions and carrots

Re: Question for Onions and Carrots?

Its the common problem that plagues huamnkind. The gringos call it keepin up with the joneses.

J

Joachim

Re: Question for Onions and Carrots?

Myself I could not care less what other people have. I look at from where I started and where I am now. I do not compare myself to others. T