Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Flu, Fever, Cough, Hot & Cold Sweats

There's a nasty flu going around on the North Coast at the moment, can anyone recommend the best medicine/vacine to cure it?

Thanks

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sudafed you mix with hot water and wait it out. Also, the locals make something with onions and other things, but not sure that works well.

Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes waytogo, bronzeallspice liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

For the common cold my grandmother used to make a remedy of honey,sliced onions
    lemon juice and butter.One tablespoon every 4 hours and it works!I make it,put in a
    jar and keep in fridge.

6. Likes pelaut liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no cure for flu or common cold. One has been sought for decades. Believe me, if there WERE any cure, (home cure or medical cure) that REALLY worked, it would have been commercialized by now, and the "inventor", (including any abuelas that mix up their concoctions) would be multi-millionares.

Vaccines are available for flu, but are type specific and are manufactured months ahead of flu season based on "best guess" of what strain will be prevalent that year. Vaccine will not work after flu is contracted anyway.

the best "cure" is:
    stay hydrated, drink liquids.
    stay warm, (not a problem in the D.R.)
    get lots and lots of sleep.

ALSO... drink lots of Brugal. It won't cure you, but you won't care that you're sick. LOL

good luck and feel better.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In addition to Bronzeallspice's syrup, my wife gives me an onion-garlic-lemon tea with rum and honey. Mmmmm.

9. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

medicine wise there are only few things that can help with the symptoms: take paracetamol (acetaminofen) for the fever and the pain, maybe cetirizina for blocked nose, start your day with vitamin c pill dissolved in water (soluble pill).

but really, simple home remedies will do the same trick: warm water with a large spoon of honey and one or two lemons/limes squeezed in. followed by fresh bread with a thick layer of garlic and few drops of olive oil. add raw onion to all salads and sandwiches too. you will stink like hell but it does help.

11. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    medicine wise there are only few things that can help with the symptoms: take paracetamol (acetaminofen) for the fever and the pain, maybe cetirizina for blocked nose, start your day with vitamin c pill dissolved in water (soluble pill).

but really, simple home remedies will do the same trick: warm water with a large spoon of honey and one or two lemons/limes squeezed in. followed by fresh bread with a thick layer of garlic and few drops of olive oil. add raw onion to all salads and sandwiches too. you will stink like hell but it does help.
    I swear by home remedies. There are medicinal plants,herbs, that are still used
    by many people for various ailments. Lemon grass tea is good for fever and is widely
    available in the DR.(te de limoncillo)
    Last edited by bronzeallspice; 11-02-2012 at 10:46 AM.

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

drink multiple Presidente lights a day...it kills bacteries all bad stuff in your body

T.E.

15. Likes BermudaRum liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Exterminator View Post
    drink multiple Presidente lights a day...it kills bacteries all bad stuff in your body

T.E.
    Please allow me to re-phrase this with a typical Dominican approach. "Bebete una Presidente, eso te limpia!"

Why is that the term "te limpia" is so commonly and often used in DR?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast