Flu, Fever, Cough, Hot & Cold Sweats

Status
Not open for further replies.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
There's a nasty flu going around on the North Coast at the moment, can anyone recommend the best medicine/vacine to cure it?

Thanks

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Sudafed you mix with hot water and wait it out. Also, the locals make something with onions and other things, but not sure that works well.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
For the common cold my grandmother used to make a remedy of honey,sliced onions
lemon juice and butter.One tablespoon every 4 hours and it works!I make it,put in a
jar and keep in fridge.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
There is no cure for flu or common cold. One has been sought for decades. Believe me, if there WERE any cure, (home cure or medical cure) that REALLY worked, it would have been commercialized by now, and the "inventor", (including any abuelas that mix up their concoctions) would be multi-millionares.

Vaccines are available for flu, but are type specific and are manufactured months ahead of flu season based on "best guess" of what strain will be prevalent that year. Vaccine will not work after flu is contracted anyway.

the best "cure" is:
stay hydrated, drink liquids.
stay warm, (not a problem in the D.R.)
get lots and lots of sleep.

ALSO... drink lots of Brugal. It won't cure you, but you won't care that you're sick. LOL

good luck and feel better.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
medicine wise there are only few things that can help with the symptoms: take paracetamol (acetaminofen) for the fever and the pain, maybe cetirizina for blocked nose, start your day with vitamin c pill dissolved in water (soluble pill).

but really, simple home remedies will do the same trick: warm water with a large spoon of honey and one or two lemons/limes squeezed in. followed by fresh bread with a thick layer of garlic and few drops of olive oil. add raw onion to all salads and sandwiches too. you will stink like hell but it does help.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
medicine wise there are only few things that can help with the symptoms: take paracetamol (acetaminofen) for the fever and the pain, maybe cetirizina for blocked nose, start your day with vitamin c pill dissolved in water (soluble pill).

but really, simple home remedies will do the same trick: warm water with a large spoon of honey and one or two lemons/limes squeezed in. followed by fresh bread with a thick layer of garlic and few drops of olive oil. add raw onion to all salads and sandwiches too. you will stink like hell but it does help.

I swear by home remedies.:) There are medicinal plants,herbs, that are still used
by many people for various ailments. Lemon grass tea is good for fever and is widely
available in the DR.(te de limoncillo)

Last edited:

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
In my country,"mi abuelita " made ​​a drink, which contained hot milk (very hot to make you sweat),a large spoon of honey and "agua ardente" (some kind of homemade brandy, you can use brugal), drink it at bedtime and stay hot in bed, you will feel better in the morning.
I wish you get well soon
JT

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

Is Paracetamol combined with Codeine and Caffeine available in the DR?
That is what I take when having a fever, together with hot water with lemons in and honey.
And rest of course, very important.

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
I would say be sure of your self diagnosis .. there is also Dengue right now. Probably doesn't give you cough, but you will have the other symptoms.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Back when I had to suffer through that sort of thing -- now I get the flu shot ---

I took Neo-Citran, heated it, loaded it with rum, pulled on my sweatpants and a turtleneck and went to bed.

I only got up for more rum laced NeoCitran..... sweated, dreamed beautifully and was cured by morning.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
I remind you: garlic and onion are the things ! ;-)

cheap, healthy and much better than all that chemical corporation ****

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Got my "Flu Shot" today at the VA hospital in Boston.
All those "Home Remedies" sound like they would also be good salad dressings"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just buy some "Good Seasons Salad dressing,you are,"Good-2-Go"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc

Lindajackson

Jan 5, 2015

Yes Instead of taking the pills these home-made remedies are very helpful and effective to cure the problem than any other side effects.

Lindajackson

Jan 5, 2015
In my country,"mi abuelita " made ​​a drink, which contained hot milk (very hot to make you sweat),a large spoon of honey and "agua ardente" (some kind of homemade brandy, you can use brugal), drink it at bedtime and stay hot in bed, you will feel better in the morning.
I wish you get well soon
JT

I tried this drink, it was really very helpful. I followed the same procedure as it was recommended here. I got relief when I woke up in the morning and feel very fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.