I am shopping for a Cell Signal booster/repeater: WHICH frequency does DR-Orange use?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I get the most unexplainable thing going on where I live... the signal comes and goes... up four bars 3G to down to 1 bar Edge or no signal at all. It's like the wind "blows it around". It drives me NUTS (YES, more nuts than I already am!).

So, I'm shopping for a cell phone signal repeater/booster. The idea is, that these things pick up week signals and amplify them around a 3000 sqft zone and also re-amplifies the sent packages.

The question is, WHICH frequency/ies does ORANGE in the DR operate on?

Thanks! ... J-D.

Upon interest, I'll be glad to report back on the success or not of the "exercise".

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Orange operates on WCDMA 900 MHz...
I don't think you have a weak signal, it seems more like there are interferences...

Sep 4, 2012
Have you experienced the same with a different phone equipment?

Does the same happens to your fellow users in the area?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I don't think you have a weak signal, it seems more like there are interferences...

Thanks!
I have to sit on the roof like an owl to be able to HOLD a call... I can SEE cell towers from the roof and most of ALL I can SEE the darn ORANGE sign on the road (I have nightly sniper dreams about that one :D) .
There is weak signal in that whole region. Not just my home.

THANKS a lot for the answer!

900MHz is the for regular CELL service AND 3G Data?

... J-D.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
900MHz is the for regular CELL service AND 3G Data

Yes. Channel number 8. Keep in mind that when you say 900Mhz band, it's not necessarily 900Mhz per se, but could be around that frequency. The frequecies 850/900/1900/1800 are used for convention and operate within a range...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Com'on now Rob... it's just attaching a little antenna and running a cable down. We've done bigger things than that! Where's that American "YES, we can" spirit? ;)

... J-D.
LOL.

I had to pull a frickin' permit and hire an electrician to do the job to code. :cheeky: They made me install a stand-alone pole for the antenna.

Otherwise it would have been easier.

I'd have just attached the antenna to the iron plumbing vent pipe and be done.

(I LOVE the DR!)

PLUS I needed a device for all my customers, not just one carrier.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
"IF indeed it IS the RIGHT one" the one million dollar question ! Good question...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is a Russian man who lives in Sosua who does all sorts of work with antennas to boost internet and phones. I know he did one for Whirleybird which made a big difference for Claro. Suggest you pm her for his number and details.

Matilda

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
After an effort to extract a "consensus" recommendation from all the well meant input I went an bought this:
Amazon.com: Wireless Extenders zBoost YX545 SOHO Dual-Band Cell Phone Signal Booster for Home and Office up to 2,500 sq. ft. of Coverage: Cell Phones & Accessories

it's a 900/1900 MHz unit which precursor has been mentioned in this thread. It's one of the more expensive units (BSRP $399.99) but Amazon had it for over 50% less.

I got it hooked up... I don't see much change in the reception bars on my phone, but for what ever reason, I have now been able to have phone conversations IN the apartment instead of being perched on the roof.

I'll update further if it was just a lucky day and the unit wasn't the lucky draw.

Thanks to all! ... J-D.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
After an effort to extract a "consensus" recommendation from all the well meant input I went an bought this:
Amazon.com: Wireless Extenders zBoost YX545 SOHO Dual-Band Cell Phone Signal Booster for Home and Office up to 2,500 sq. ft. of Coverage: Cell Phones & Accessories

it's a 900/1900 MHz unit which precursor has been mentioned in this thread. It's one of the more expensive units (BSRP $399.99) but Amazon had it for over 50% less.

I got it hooked up... I don't see much change in the reception bars on my phone, but for what ever reason, I have now been able to have phone conversations IN the apartment instead of being perched on the roof.

I'll update further if it was just a lucky day and the unit wasn't the lucky draw.

Thanks to all! ... J-D.
I thik it was Apple that showed the world that bars on a cell phone didn't necessarily mean better reception.

As long as it works you're good.

Bonus: your neighbors benefit also. Pass a hat...;)

Feb 7, 2007

That is incorrect. Orange operates on 1900 Mhz for 2G (EDGE) and 900 MHz for 3G (UMTS). I am having lots of problems with Orange voice calls in 3G. (dropped calls, no audio, etc.)

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
not 900/1900 but 800/1900

Thanks to all! ... J-D.

zBoost YX545 SOHO is not 900/1900 but 800/1900 for your information, according to your link Dual-band device works with 800/1900 MHz frequencies from all major carriers--AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, Alltel, Cricket, and more (not compatible with Nextel)