need some help replacing a souvenir

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
I don't know if this is possible or not. But I thought I would ask. I bought my daughter a souvenir at our resort....but I'm sure it's available other places (like most of the souvenirs in DR). Well...it was dropped while we were packing up and when we arrived home, I discovered it's broken. My daughter is very sad and I told her I would try to replace it. How I can go about doing that, I don't know. But I gotta try.

It's a carved Angel from what they described as "petrified wood)...I'm sure it's not but that's what they claimed, and that's stained a reddish color to look like wood.

So....any suggestions??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they sell those things anywhere in DR, as gifts. from under 100 pesos to few hundred, depending on the size. if you are in DR just buy anything you like and give it to her. i doubt you can buy those things online.

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
dv8 -I'm back in the states now. So I can't just get one.

Mauricio - I would need it sent to the US. I could paypal someone the money..post a pix of angel and hopefully someone could help me out.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
It's a carved Angel from what they described as "petrified wood)...I'm sure it's not but that's what they claimed, and that's stained a reddish color to look like wood.
Could it be AMBER? It looks like stone but is fossilised tree resin, and it is very real... The blue variety is only found in the DR...so it would make a perfect souvenir... Any reputable jewellery store that sells you BLUE AMBAR is selling you a Dominican souvenir... same for any piece of jewellery made of the stone Larimar, which is also Dominican native...either would make a great souvenir.
click: Dominican amber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dominican Amber
Leaf_in_dominican_amber.jpg

Larimar (and emerald)
531px-Galaxia_Larimar.jpg

Dominican blue amber
IMG_0781.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i understand the problem but i am not sure it is worth the trouble. those things in DR are cheap but sending anything out of the country is not. you may end up replacing a 5 dollar angel at the cost of 40 dollars.
it may be a better idea to have someone bring it for you when they travel to your city. or to the states in general and can send a package within USA.

but if i were you i would look online for a piece of larimar jewelry and buy that instead. larimar is found in DR only so the souvenir cannot get any more dominican than that :)

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Small hijack

My dog ate one of my presidente flipflops
any idea where to get more on the northcoast?
Manu